• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour to Santo Toribio

rawsonc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2011), Portugues & Finisterre (2012), Norte, Lebaniego, Ruta de la Reconquista, Camino Covadonga & Primitivo (2013)
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had walked this detour from San Vicente to the monastery of Santo Toribio. It looks like a nice detour from the Camino del Norte into the hills so if I had the time I was hoping to walk it in 2 days then catch the bus back to San Vicente to continue on the Norte. I have a few questions if anyone can help -
Does anyone know if it is a waymarked route with albergues like the Norte?
Is there a route description anywhere online that I can print off for directions and details of accomodation?
I know there are buses back from Potes to San Vicente but can't find any times - I'm assuming they'll be fairly regular and that they can tell me the details in Potes when I'm there so it won't be a problem.

Chris

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
http://tourism.euskadi.net/contenidos/i ... INGLES.pdf

I found this great source for the trip to Liebano. We are doing this in Aprl. I have been there before on an año Jubileo. Worth the detour. And when you are in Potes be sure to eat a steak with Cabrales sauce. Probably my best memory of any steak. (must have been hungry)

Buen Camino

Mary Paige

Bus company PALOMERA
PALOMERA Potes to San Vicente de la Barquera 07:00 arr 08:00 LMXJV laborables 08-ene-2013 30-jun-2013 3,6 [Potes - Santander] [Mapa]

PALOMERA Potes to San Vicente de la Barquera 08:30 arr 09:30 Sabados Laborables 08-ene-2013 30-jun-2013 3,6 [Potes - Santander] [Mapa]

PALOMERA Potes to San Vicente de la Barquera 09:30 arr 10:30 LMXJV laborables 08-ene-2013 30-jun-2013 3,6 [Potes - Santander] [Mapa]

PALOMERA Potes to San Vicente de la Barquera 16:15 arr 17:15 LMXJV laborables 08-ene-2013 30-jun-2013 3,6 [Potes - Santander] [Mapa]

PALOMERA Potes to San Vicente de la Barquera 17:45 arr 18:45 SD y Festivos 08-ene-2013 30-jun-2013 3,6 [Potes - Santander] [Mapa]

Deatails found on this website http://www.transportedecantabria.es/web/guest/home

I think both Reb and lovingkindess have walked this route so you could search their posts for walking knowledge. My memories are of driving down the narrow gorge and also of visiting the little church of Sta Maria de Lebeña as well as Potes.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, Chris,
I actually walked to San Vicente, then from there down to Potes/Santo Toribio, and continued on the Camino Vadiniense to Leon. San Vicente to Potes is two days with a LOT of asphalt/road walking. The scenery is beautiful, I got lost once (see my post with suggestions on how to avoid that) camino-vadiniense/topic14649.html

The albergue in Potes is great, as is the town itself. But the really spectacular part of the walk comes a few days after Potes, when you go through the Picos from Fuente De.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hola all,

Thanks for the replies. I've looked into this route in a little more detail since my original post and am hoping to try a few extra things out all being well, based on the German Camino del Norte alternative routes guidebook which has some good route descriptions and details of refugios all along the way:

- Taking the high level variant between Quintanilla de Lamason and Lebena on the Lebaniego route to see the amazing looking 'Brana de los Tejos'

- Taking the 'Ruta de la Reconquista' through the Picos de Europa from Santo Toribio to Covadonga via Sotres, Poncebos, Bulnes, the Cares Gorge and the lakes of Covadonga - the route just looks too stunnning not to do!

- Taking the Camino Covadonga in reverse to join up with the Primitivo in Villaviciosa

Well I'll give it a try and hope to post something here on how it goes

All the best
Chris

We have just returned from the Norte and Covadonga. The routes through the Picos are, in our opinion now, for mountaineers and mountain goats. The paths cross rivers by stepping stones; cross high steep ground; have some steep drops........ie - they are not for the usual style of Camino walking, not even if you have walked the Primitivo. The Guardia Civil, in Cangas de Onis, approved our decision to walk the Camino Real from Arriondas to Covadonga rather than trying to use the GR route from Llanes to Covadonga, or the GR from Cangas de Onis which is part of the Oviedo route. What looks good on paper might not work safely in practise.
We'll be interested to see what you finally decide and how you get on. Covadonga is well worth the detour, however achieved. It was at one time part of the official route from the Norte, through Covadonga, Oviedo and then onto the Primitivo to Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Chris,
The Ruta de la Reconquista certainly looks wonderful!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVz0l88S9NA
However I am not sure that it is in the same class as other "Caminos" on this forum!!! There is no obvious marked trail and it is usually walked by groups led by a guide. The "refugios" may be just that:- a mountain hut in which to camp out.

Do your homework and 'be safe'. The weather up there can change in a few hours and afternoon mist and fog is all too common.

Blessings
Terry

Hello both,

Thanks for your replies. I should say that I'm also a very experienced mountain climber and mountaineer with first aid experience as well as a peregrino :)
I've also done many multi-day treks over the tops of mountains in the Scottish Highlands, Snowdonia, the Lakes etc in all conditions including snowstorms.
I also probably wouldn't take this route if I wasn't experiened and I'm going in a pair taking a lightweight tent, maps and a compass. However I'll make the decision closer to the time based on conditions but all being well it should be good.
I'm not taking the GR route from Cangas de Onis to Oviedo as it's not as well developed as the Ruta de la Reconquista and has less villages along the way. I'll be taking it easy along the country roads to Villaviciosa after those few days on the mountain route.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris

With your experience we are sure you will have a great time. Our route was actually the Camino de la Reina, walked by Isobel ll in the 1800s. If walking from Covadonga to Cangas de Onis it is a lovely walk along the riverside before joining the routes to Oviedo or Gijon, by GR or roads. It was well signed towards Covadonga, but might be harder to follow back to Cangas de Onis, especially round Soto de Onis.
Have a wonderful time
TerryB and Tia Valeria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello both,

Thanks for the info on the camino de la Reina, I have to admit I had never heard of it before but it sounds like it could be nice and picturesque between Covadonga and Cangas de Onis. I'll ask the locals when or if I get to Covadonga if it's easy to follow backwards

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated
Chris

Have a great Camino. If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Covadonga we can recommend Casa Asprón. If you stay there please give them greetings from the 2 English peregrinos. We were there around 16th May. The 'Aguilar Real' in Cangas de Onis is good too.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back