• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour to see the Eunate Church

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
Hey, All!

I'm planning for a Camino next summer (2022), and I've been wanting to do the detour to see the Eunate Church.

Does anyone know if it is currently open and/or if it will be open next summer?

Also, how well-marked is the detour to go and see the church there? This last actually concerns me quite a bit, as I have a history of getting lost--I've actually done so at least once my first 2 Caminos, and I was only able to keep it from happening with my last Camino because I was kind of obsessive about checking the Camino Ninja App any time it had felt like I hadn't seen a yellow arrow in like 5-10 minutes.

Thanks!

Ruth

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey, All!

I'm planning for a Camino next summer (2022), and I've been wanting to do the detour to see the Eunate Church.

Also, how well-marked is the detour to go and see the church there? This last actually concerns me quite a bit, as I have a history of getting lost--I've actually done so at least once my first 2 Caminos, and I was only able to keep it from happening with my last Camino because I was kind of obsessive about checking the Camino Ninja App any time it had felt like I hadn't seen a yellow arrow in like 5-10 minutes.

Thanks!

Ruth
Hi! I don’t know what the situation will be next Summer, maybe someone has more information. 🙂
As for getting there…. I too tend to get lost easily but I walked there twice and … I didn’t. From memory it is all pretty straightforward. You come at a crossing with an arrow ‘Eunate turn left’, that’s about it!
My first visit was perfect, there were just two of us there (in July) but the second time (also in July), a huge tourist bus arrived practically at the same time as me. It is a rather small place so it was overwhelming and I didn’t stay long 🙂
Worth the effort in my opinion. Ask around a day pr so before you plan to visit, some hospitalero/a will know whether it is open 😉.

The detour is quite easy. Finding it open is another issue. I went there one time and it was only because there was tour bus full of Germans that it was open.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here is the Eunate website, but it has no recent information on open hours. Maybe you can check back at the website as the time of your trip gets closer.
There is a section about opening hours there. It is open various days, but different hours. Look at the menu bar top left

Hi! I don’t know what the situation will be next Summer, maybe someone has more information. 🙂
As for getting there…. I too tend to get lost easily but I walked there twice and … I didn’t. From memory it is all pretty straightforward. You come at a crossing with an arrow ‘Eunate turn left’, that’s about it!
My first visit was perfect, there were just two of us there (in July) but the second time (also in July), a huge tourist bus arrived practically at the same time as me. It is a rather small place so it was overwhelming and I didn’t stay long 🙂
Worth the effort in my opinion. Ask around a day pr so before you plan to visit, some hospitalero/a will know whether it is open 😉.
Domigee, I had the same experience with the tourist bus when I visited the Church at Eunate.

I had easily taken the detour early in the morning and so I got there very early. In fact, I had a few hours to catch up on sleep - dozing lazily in the sunshine, back against the low wall of the Church, while a motorized glider softly buzzed overhead.

Finally, when the Church was scheduled to open, I hoisted my pack and prepared to enter. At that moment, a huge tourbus pulled up, erupting a gaggle of energized tourists from I-don't-know-where.

They overwhelmed the outside of the entrance and I suddenly found myself the LAST person in line. When we entered, I stood in the back while a tour guide talked about the Church - in a language I didn't understand (as expected, but I had hoped to ask some questions in my not fluent Spanish). I wanted to spend some time admiring but this was all taking too long and, well, I had a Camino to do!

I went to the "shop" to get a stamp, just as all the tourists finished their talk and entered the shop with me. Once again, I was at the back of a long line.

I got my stamp and quickly left, not looking back.

My experience - I loved the peace and tranquility of the Church setting. I will never forget sitting in the sunshine, napping, listening to the overhead buzz. The inside of the Church, not so special, just a blur. I didn't go back on Camino #2.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want to practice put Eunate into google maps, start in muruzabal and “walk”. I’ve been spectacularly lost on several caminos but found this all by myself with no problem

Buen Camino!

92042197-9291-421B-902B-B00BFAC70DFB.png

Last edited:
There is a section about opening hours there. It is open various days, but different hours. Look at the menu bar top left
Yes, but the most recent indicator on the top, is for Jan-Mar 2021, when it was closed. I assume that was expected to be a temporary situation and that note would be removed if the hours had returned to "normal." As it is now, it just looks like the web page has been forgotten.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There’s a big red/brown notice board on the right of the road when you enter Muruzábal, which tells you how important the church is, gives info and photos, and shows you how to get there (you take a left about 100 yards further along in the village). After that left, there’s another, smaller notice board on the right with the days of the week and opening times of the church, so you’ll know before you go further whether it’ll be open. I was there on a Wednesday at the end of August this year and it was open until 2pm then. The times will change, of course, so checking the website is a good plan. After the left in Muruzábal, the route is straight along a road between crops before finally hooking right in front of a small hillock, then crossing straight over a main road. It’s simple; just walk. I’ll upload a screenshot that might be helpful too, which I took from the Buen Camino app on the day I was there.

Attachments

• 74F6B798-B0BC-4DFF-A8C6-29A3F565E264.png
    74F6B798-B0BC-4DFF-A8C6-29A3F565E264.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 52
Yes, but the most recent indicator on the top, is for Jan-Mar 2021, when it was closed. I assume that was expected to be a temporary situation and that note would be removed if the hours had returned to "normal." As it is now, it just looks like the web page has been forgotten.
I thought it also inccluded openings in Oct.2021?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
God looks out for drunks and sparrows. I assumed it would be open, it was and no one else was there. My only disappointment was I’d heard there might be an albergue and if that was the case I would have loved to sleep there…sadly no one was there to ask so I stamped my credential and wandered on to puente la reina. Now I feel really lucky it was open and without a tour bus.

There’s a big red/brown notice board on the right of the road when you enter Muruzábal
Yes.
What I did one year was to stay in the beautiful El Jardin albergue in Muruzabal. I left my pack in the albergue, and walked to Eunate and back in the afternoon, just a matter of a few kms each way. It was closed, but very tranquil. Not a tour bus in sight.

Do check the opening times closer to your walk, @ktchnofdngr .
Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey, All!

Thanks!

Ruth
I didn't see any signs but perhaps I made my own path there anyway I didn't get lost.

Nevertheless, I was ultimately disappointed because in Mid May 2019 it didn't open until quite late in the morning, either 10 or 11 am. I got there around 9 am and didn't fancy waiting.

I think that on other dates later in the year it may have longer opening hours. I also think that it isn't open every day of the week.

I did get some photos though, including this one.
IMG_20190521_094542107.jpg

Hey, All!

Thanks!

Ruth
It's well worth visiting, but i don't recall there being wayward markers after the initial sign. I got there early in the morning and was about to leave when the fellow who runs the counter pulled up. That was 10am. As an aside, I would take as many detours as you can find, they tend to extend one's Camino 🤗

This will not help you I fear, but may make you jealous...;) Post #43 [it is in an unrelated thread]

Long ago (now) there was a small albergue at the church - my favourite ever I think. One of the guests that night was an Italian (I think) expert in church architecture. He was very insightful. The church although octagonal, is asymmetric inside. He explained a lot to us.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This will not help you I fear, but may make you jealous...;) Post #43 [it is in an unrelated thread]

Long ago (now) there was a small albergue at the church - my favourite ever I think. One of the guests that night was an Italian (I think) expert in church architecture. He was very insightful. The church although octagonal, is asymmetric inside. He explained a lot to us.
Indeed!

I'm impressed with all the early risers who got there before opening. :eek: You either walk really fast, get up really early (and I'm an early riser), or started really close to Eunate. I went back to look at my photo time stamps to see if maybe it had different times when I walked, or if I'd lucked into an early opening. I can't recall if I'd read the opening time or asked at my albegue the night before, but looking at my time stamps it looks like I left a bit later than I usually do (from Zariquegui so I may have had coffee at the albergue first which I usually don't do), still got to the alto del Perdon early, then apparently had leisurely first and second breakfast in the next two towns to arrive at opening time. Most of those leaving from Pamplona I would think don't need to worry about getting there too early.

I'm going to echo the suggestion made above that an alternative is stay in the town just before or after Eunate, drop your pack, and walk there (even if that means backwards from Obanos) if you can't otherwise make the timing work. I did something like this for the Cruz de Ferro and for Irache. For Irache I ended up having it to myself (a huge tour group arrived as I did but spent their time at the wine fountain, and I was leaving as they went to the monastery), and I was especially lucky for the Cruz. I stayed in Foncebadon (Domus Dei was a highlight of my albergue stays), walked up to the Cruz before dinner and it was deserted (on the 24th of May).

There’s a big red/brown notice board on the right of the road when you enter Muruzábal, which tells you how important the church is, gives info and photos, and shows you how to get there (you take a left about 100 yards further along in the village). After that left, there’s another, smaller notice board on the right with the days of the week and opening times of the church, so you’ll know before you go further whether it’ll be open. I was there on a Wednesday at the end of August this year and it was open until 2pm then. The times will change, of course, so checking the website is a good plan. After the left in Muruzábal, the route is straight along a road between crops before finally hooking right in front of a small hillock, then crossing straight over a main road. It’s simple; just walk. I’ll upload a screenshot that might be helpful too, which I took from the Buen Camino app on the day I was there.
I was just reading this thread and I realized I knew about this place. I think you can see from the camino but I might be wrong about that. But I thought let me look this up to see the significance because on my first camino a woman I had just met and walked with for a few minutes told me she took the detour to see the church. We didn't really talk about it after that. Anyway I was about to look it up and then my Forum Angel - Lholla showed up and posted my answer. Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was just reading this thread and I realized I knew about this place. I think you can see from the camino but I might be wrong about that. But I thought let me look this up to see the significance because on my first camino a woman I had just met and walked with for a few minutes told me she took the detour to see the church. We didn't really talk about it after that. Anyway I was about to look it up and then my Forum Angel - Lholla showed up and posted my answer. Thanks!
I don't think I could from the Frances (from SJPdP) just from me looking at a map (your eyesight may vary :)) , but I believe you do see it in the background in a scene from The Way (when Tom meets Father Frank). I think it's on the Aragon route so undoubtedly from there you would see it. When I walked to it I didn't see it until I got close, but you really can't get lost once you turn from Muruzabal you're on a road with no where else to go unless you walk into someone's farmland

I don't think I could from the Frances (from SJPdP) just from me looking at a map (your eyesight may vary :)) , but I believe you do see it in the background in a scene from The Way (when Tom meets Father Frank). I think it's on the Aragon route so undoubtedly from there you would see it. When I walked to it I didn't see it until I got close, but you really can't get lost once you turn from Muruzabal you're on a road with no where else to go unless you walk into someone's farmland
Isn't there a church on a hill somewhere on the CF (maybe on the Meseta that looks almost exactly like this one? Help me smallest_sparrow hahaha

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I didn’t walk all of the Frances but I think there’s an octagonal church on a hill in Torres del Rio. I did walk past the octogonal church (but with a tower) Vera Cruz past segovia. 🤷‍♀️

It is indeed visible in the background in a couple of shots in "The Way". But they are not walking on the Camino Francés at the time. I passed it when I walked the Aragonés. You can't see it from the Francés, as I missed it completely in 2003, as I hadn't heard of it. There is an ermita visible on a hill near Puente la Reina, the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui. The church at Eunate is not on a hill.

I didn’t walk all of the Frances but I think there’s an octagonal church on a hill in Torres del Rio. I did walk past the octogonal church (but with a tower) Vera Cruz past segovia. 🤷‍♀️
The octagonal church (Santo Sepulcro) at Torres del Rio is not on a hill. It is almost 50 km from the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui, which is on a hill near Puente la Reina.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The octagonal church (Santo Sepulcro) at Torres del Rio is not on a hill. It is almost 50 km from the Ermita de Nuestra Señora de Arnotegui, which is on a hill near Puente la Reina.
I saw many octogonal churches this year between Lleida and Logroño.

Though the second most beautiful one I've seen, even then not as beautiful as Eunate, was in Apulia, in southern Italy. Monumental and impressive rather than delicate and kind.

When I came upon Eunate approaching from the Aragonese I thought I ran into a bit of bad luck as the parking area was full of cars and a bus and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to share my visit with so many. There was a well dressed crowd waiting outside so I asked if there was a wedding going on (surprising myself that I remembered the Spanish). Shortly afterwards the bride and groom came out beyond the outer wall for pictures and a shower of flower petals. I had the church interior and grounds to myself for a half hour and I think the church would have been closed otherwise.

Here's a shot of Eunate's ceiling showing that the octagonal layout is far from perfect.
IMG_20191109_135212.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I came upon Eunate approaching from the Aragonese I thought I ran into a bit of bad luck as the parking area was full of cars and a bus and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to share my visit with so many. There was a well dressed crowd waiting outside so I asked if there was a wedding going on (surprising myself that I remembered the Spanish). Shortly afterwards the bride and groom came out beyond the outer wall for pictures and a shower of flower petals. I had the church interior and grounds to myself for a half hour and I think the church would have been closed otherwise.

Here's a shot of Eunate's ceiling showing that the octagonal layout is far from perfect.
View attachment 110596
I’m wondering how many of their wedding photos have a pilgrim in the background 😀

I have always regretted both times not taking the detour to Eunate.
If I walk the France route again, I will make it a priority.
Also, I have always regretted not taking the Variant to Samos...that said, I do not regret not taking the variant Dragontes out of Vilafranca del Bierzo, although I read it is better marked than in the past.🙄...but I digress.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stopped there in 2008 finishing the Aragones. It is a must do and seemed at the time to be maybe 1km from the CF but Gronze says 2.5--so just a half hour each way. Seemed pretty easy and well marked. DId have tea and snacks with the hospitalero and wish we had been able to stay. IMO part of the Camino magic. Do it if possible. I don't think it has an albergue any longer.

I'm impressed with all the early risers who got there before opening. :eek: You either walk really fast, get up really early (and I'm an early riser), or started really close to Eunate. I went back to look at my photo time stamps to see if maybe it had different times when I walked, or if I'd lucked into an early opening. I can't recall if I'd read the opening time or asked at my albegue the night before, but looking at my time stamps it looks like I left a bit later than I usually do (from Zariquegui so I may have had coffee at the albergue first which I usually don't do), still got to the alto del Perdon early, then apparently had leisurely first and second breakfast in the next two towns to arrive at opening time. Most of those leaving from Pamplona I would think don't need to worry about getting there too early.

I'm going to echo the suggestion made above that an alternative is stay in the town just before or after Eunate, drop your pack, and walk there (even if that means backwards from Obanos) if you can't otherwise make the timing work. I did something like this for the Cruz de Ferro and for Irache. For Irache I ended up having it to myself (a huge tour group arrived as I did but spent their time at the wine fountain, and I was leaving as they went to the monastery), and I was especially lucky for the Cruz. I stayed in Foncebadon (Domus Dei was a highlight of my albergue stays), walked up to the Cruz before dinner and it was deserted (on the 24th of May).
I walked directly from Uterga where I stayed the night, which is why there were no signs and why I got there before opening time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I walked by recently, the sign on the main Francés route indicated the fall hours are completely closed M-Th and limited hours on weekends. It had more extended hours during the summer. Worth checking closer to your travel time

I walked directly from Uterga where I stayed the night, which is why there were no signs and why I got there before opening time.
ahhh - like yourself we stayed in Uterga and as a result arrived at Eunate way too early. We knew the church would be closed but thought that at the very least we could walk around the arches. Unfortunately not, as the gates,even to the immediate grounds, were locked.

In hindsight we should have waited the 90 minutes or so for the church to be opened but it was so early into our Camino (day 6) and we (I) was still very much in "we need to get to town X by time Y" mode. It was another couple of weeks before I relaxed and let time go and felt much better for it!

Was it open? No-one seems to be able to get into that one.

(Yes it is Torres del Rio.)
No. No one near by on whom to use my sad/expectant pilgrim face. But I took a picture of the interior posted on the sign and it looks sort of like the hazy pictures taken of other interiors on my 2012 iPhone…so sometimes when I scroll through pics I think “hey I don’t recall getting inside” then I remember I didn’t 🙄

Hey, All!

Thanks!

Ruth
closed when we walked through about two and a half weeks ago, stayed there no e years ago… but 100 percent went there again! One of my best camino moments!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We walked past it when we were walking the Aragones Camino. It was a Monday and it was closed on Mondays. That was a few years ago. Perhaps one day we will visit the interior.

I detoured to Eunate from the CF in 2019, and thought it well worth a couple of extra miles. I was with friends who had a map on a phone and I had the Brierley guide but we had trouble working out which way we should walk out of Orbigos. As we were puzzling a lady with a wheeled walking frame came tottering up to help us. . She gamely led us to the edge of the built up area and was about to launch herself down an incredibly steep road to the main N 6062 road below. Fearful of an accident we tried to dissuade her but she was absolutely insistent, and ended up walking down to the bottom (and then back up again!) supported by two of us . She later told us she was 88. I regret to say that we failed to follow her very detailed and rapid Spanish instructions and ended up walking along the road, though there is a much nicer route which goes through fields via the Carretera del Cementario. Such kindness.

I don't recall any signs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.