• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detour to Valladolid on Madrid route

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Listed in my signature
I'd like to detour off to see Valladolid, and wonder if anyone has suggestions on the best town on the Camino de Madrid to depart from? In looking at a map, it looks like there might actually be a way-marked path to walk from Puent Duero to Valladolid - any info? I know there are several towns on the route that have bus/train service as well, which is also fine, but curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks, alipilgrim

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, alipilgrim,

As you know, I'm getting ready to follow in your footsteps, a few weeks behind you. Here's what I had been thinking. Based on the Confraternity's guide, it seemed that what made the most sense for me was to walk from Alcazaren to Simancas (31 km or so), and then take the bus to Valladolid from Simancas (Johnnie Walker says they are frequent from Aimanca). I would spend the night in Valladolid and spend a big chunk of the following day there as well. Then in late afternoon, I would take a bus back to Simancas, and walk the 6 kms to Cigunuela, where there is reported to be an excellent albergue. That would put me in a good position for walking the next day to Medina de Rioseco, because for me Simancas to Medina gets too close to my limit, it's about 35 km. This way it would be a 29 km day.

Just one of what are undoubtedly many many possibilities. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Yes, now that the time is drawing near, I'm re-studying everything. I like your advice about Simancas; I did see the CSJ note re: bus-ing from there to Valladolid, as well as the RENFE from Valdestillas. But to be honest, I hadn't got as far as setting stages for myself past Segovia, I was hoping to play it by ear as much as possible. I have noted that Javier says the albergue in Puente Duero is one of the best ever so perhaps I will stay there the night before, walk the 6km to Simancas the next morning, then follow your suggestion. However, I have calculated the distance from Ciguenuela to Medina de Riosceo to be between 38-41.3km (the CSJ guide, mundicamino, and the Castilla y Leon Xacobeo 2010 guide don't quite agree :shock: ). Carole H. mentioned that the albergue in Castromonte is a 'must' so I think I'll stop there for a 24.3km stage.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for this info, alipilgrim,

I know there's frequently inconsistency on distances, but this one is pretty substantial. Googlemaps puts the distance between the two at 41.2, I know that's by highway, but still...

Cigunuela to Castromonte might be a much more realistic etapa. I'm lucky that I can be pretty flexible on this trip, though, so I will just sit back and wait for you to walk it and figure it all out for me. :D

Not too much longer! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Ali and Peregrina

This is slightly at a tangent but connected to the differing distances and long stages issue. I find that the early stages may offer some big daily distance, but not the latter part.

I will be taking a a survival/space blanket which is in the shape of a tunnel, and which can be supported with cord to make a (kind of!) tent. This is for when I can find no albergue within my daily maximum, and I intend to just sleep out. I can't do the larger distances I could when young, so this is my solution. I mention it as an idea to consider. The blanket only weighs a few grams.

Sleeping " a les belles etoiles" has its compensations too, on a starry night. Of course, temperatures drop on starry nights..... :(

Ali is a week ahead of me, I will be a week ahead of Peregrina, but have no means to pass info.

I don't know if you two are going on to SDC; my CM will stop at Sahagun, when I must return to take up a hospitalero stint. I would like to hear of your experiences when leaving the quiet CM and joining the CF, which I will only touch on at Sahagun. It's been a while since I last walked the CF; they say it's busy.

Sleeping out like a tramp reminds me of a couple of months ago when in Madrid for a flight after the CI. It was unexpectedly warm for a day and I nodded off on a bench near Parc de Retiro. When I woke up, I found a few small coins beside me, and a leaflet advising those in trouble to go to a Catholic Family centre for help :shock: . Now it is true that some tramps are furnished with better clothes than I sometimes wear, so this was a surprise. But it was nice to see that people cared!

Buen camino

Hi, Caminando,
I admire your tent idea, but I don't think it's for me. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that some other kind of accommodation makes itself available when I'm in a pinch.

I'll be happy to report back on the CF. In Sahagun, I am planning to get on the Camino Frances until Ponferrada. That is about a week, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Camino Frances is like these days, it's been a while. Than I am going to connect with the Camino de Invierno, for about 12 days to Santiago. I'm also hoping to find some peregrinos between Sahagun and Ponferrada who might be tempted to abandon the Camino Frances and walk together on the Camino de Invierno.

I'm now trying to come up with a realistic estimate of days without having a rigid schedule. Alipilgrim's correction of the distance to Medina de Rioseco has got me thinking that I will need 13 days for the Madrid to Sahagun segment -- is that consistent with what you two are thinking?

Thanks, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie,

I'm thinking 14 days as I plan to stop in Segovia, and then that short day in Valladolid. However, for my 1st day I'm going to metro to Tres Cantos and walk to Colmenar Viejo so I'll start a 'stage' ahead. Rebekah has mentioned before that there is a variation out of Villalon de Campos (the last day) that one could walk to Moratinos instead of Sahagun, so I am considering that too.

I haven't yet decided on whether to continue on the Frances to Santiago or take the Invierno as well. I'm interested to see the new revisions Rebekah has for the CSJ guide for the Invierno to see if I think I could tackle it. My Spanish is non-existent, so I need rather clear instructions(!)

ali

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, Caminando,
I admire your tent idea, but I don't think it's for me. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that some other kind of accommodation makes itself available when I'm in a pinch.

I'll be happy to report back on the CF. In Sahagun, I am planning to get on the Camino Frances until Ponferrada. That is about a week, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Camino Frances is like these days, it's been a while. Than I am going to connect with the Camino de Invierno, for about 12 days to Santiago. I'm also hoping to find some peregrinos between Sahagun and Ponferrada who might be tempted to abandon the Camino Frances and walk together on the Camino de Invierno.

I'm now trying to come up with a realistic estimate of days without having a rigid schedule. Alipilgrim's correction of the distance to Medina de Rioseco has got me thinking that I will need 13 days for the Madrid to Sahagun segment -- is that consistent with what you two are thinking?

Thanks, Laurie

Yes that is about the time scale I'm thinking of, tho' I may take time off when I can and just relax somewhere. But as regards walking time - yes. Your variants sound really interesting.

My tent option is a bit spartan and I may regret it. But then I might not need it. The possibility of just stopping when needed is attractive. But it means I must carry a small gas stove and food too.

alipilgrim said:
Hi Laurie,

I'm thinking 14 days as I plan to stop in Segovia, and then that short day in Valladolid. However, for my 1st day I'm going to metro to Tres Cantos and walk to Colmenar Viejo so I'll start a 'stage' ahead. Rebekah has mentioned before that there is a variation out of Villalon de Campos (the last day) that one could walk to Moratinos instead of Sahagun, so I am considering that too.

I haven't yet decided on whether to continue on the Frances to Santiago or take the Invierno as well. I'm interested to see the new revisions Rebekah has for the CSJ guide for the Invierno to see if I think I could tackle it. My Spanish is non-existent, so I need rather clear instructions(!)

ali

Yes the Tres Cantos option seems to be the one to make, for me too. If I save time there, I will probably have the same days on the route, but will use the saved time for lazing around/sightseeing/ whatever.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The national museum of sculpture in Valladolid is not to be missed, and Medina de Rioseco is a wonderful little town... as is Villalon. Be sure to tope a bit of Vino de Toro while you are in the neighborhood.

I do hope all you guys will either stop in at Moratinos, or let me know when you hit Grajal or Sahagun. I´ll buy you a Gin & Tonic and listen avidly to your trail tales!

Hola

A pilgrims wrote the following to me the other day regarding leaving Madrid:

Comments – Camino Madrid route guide
1. In the Guide, on Page 8, in last paragraph says:
“If you decide to depart from Fuencarral, take the metro, line 8, to the Fuencarral terminus.”
Fuencarral is on metro line 10 not on line 8.
Please check the Madrid Metro website link below for the confirmation.
http://www.metromadrid.es/en/viaja_en_m ... index.html
If you want to start the walk in the open country side, it is better to start from Metro station Montecarmelo. This station is two stops further from Fuencarral on line 10. The route is waymarked from the Metro station.
2. In the guide, on Page 9, in the first paragraph says:
“On the edge of Tres Cantos there is a footbridge crossing the motorway. Follow this if staying in Tres Cantos for the night. If simply seeking water or provisions this may be a long detour.”
There are two footbridges to cross the motorway. If you take the first one, which takes you to the Tres Cantos Cemetery; it is a long way to walk to the town.
But if you take the second footbridge, or the traffic overbridge above the motorway which is next to the second footbridge it is less than ten minutes walk to the supermarket and the Tres Cantos railway station. The route is waymarked from the Tres Cantos railway station.
On the way to Tres Cantos from Fuencarral or Montecarmelo once you pass the El Goloso railway station, the route is on the left side of a paved bicycle track all the way to Tres Cantos foodbridge and traffic over bridge. Motor way is on the right side of the bicycle track.
At Tres Cantos, the route veer off to left away from the bicycle track in between the footbridge and traffic overbridge towards Colmenar Viejo.

3. When you walk from Fuencarral/Montecarmelo after walking through the open countryside you will come across some farm houses. After these farm houses just before the over bridge above the disused railway line there are two yellow arrows, one to the left (A) and one to the straight (B) without any other explanations. This is very confusing. We have to wait there to find the right directions from a cyclist. According to the Cyclist the left arrow takes you to a park and back towards Madrid. We followed the straight arrow which took us to El Goloso and then on to Tres Cantos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have returned home from Valladolid a couple of times and stayed at the Melia Olid although part of a chain they often have good deals booking direct through their web site.
http://www.solmelia.com. Although as John says, most of the nearby places have a very good bus service to Valladolid and last time we came back from Toro and straight on to the airport. And I did not realise Toro was on a camino.
Liz

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For those who come this way in the future - the bus from Puente Duero to Valladolid is only 1 euro. Stay at the alb in Puente and bus in and back.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back