• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Detouring to Lourdes from the Via Podiensis

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2003; Lourdes - Burgos 2006; LePuy to LaFaba 06
I am considering Walking te Camino again, this time starting in Le Puy. I would also like to visit Lourdes again, arriving on foot. I can work out how to get there from the Arles route (which I am also considering) but can't seem to work out where to leave the Le Puy route for this detour?

Does anyone have any suggestions? :?:

I am looking for a straightforward route, rather than a short one. A few extra kilometeres won't hurt! :D

Many thanks

James

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have been looking into something like this too James..... but have got 'distracted' along the way. I wondered whether somewhere like Arthez-de-Bearn might work, though it is a little far west. But then I discovered this other route along the foothills of the Pyrenees, a little further south of the Arles route, and thought it looked interesting.... the Chemin du Piemont.
I might be in touch when I have discovered a little more!
Margaret

Margaret, I looked at that route, but did not see Lourdes on it.
Are you saying that route goes through Lourdes? Or that you can easily get to Lourdes from that route?
Thanks,
annie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry annie.... am not sure which route you mean. Lourdes is not directly on the Via Podensis, or Le Puy route- you do have to detour off it. But it is along the Piemont route. I printed off a whole lot of maps, but they don't have the web address on them- I will have to look properly for the web address later today. But on the set of maps I printed off, Ludies was on Map J1 of the set, (Mirepoix to Ludies) and Lourdes was on Map J14, Bagnieres-de-Bigorre-Lourdes.
Margaret

If you follow this route, it will take you straight by Lourdes; you can find it here: http://www.ariege.com/cheminstjacques/e ... index.html. This is French; if you need assistance, let me know and I will translate it for you. This is Chemin starts out in Carcassone and follows along the base of the Pyrenees. It looks like an incredible pilgrimage. I hope this helps.

Peace,

Mike

Hi,

I've included a -not so detailed- map of all the routes in France, including some variants.
Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Attachments

• st_jacques_carte.gif
    st_jacques_carte.gif
    154.6 KB · Views: 2,286
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Margaret,

Yes, Lourdes is on the Chemin du Piemont - I have started walking from Lourdes, and ended up at the Somport pass by a variation over the Colles des Moines. I actually wanted to cross the Pyrenees here again. From Lourdes it is very well sign posted. From Google Earth I think I can follow some roads from the Via Podiensis to Pau and then on to Lourdes. But was just looking for some more definite information.

For those interested in the Voie du Piemont, here's a great site:

http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-partir.htm

Unfortunately it is only in French, but once translated has great info.

Here is a link to a previuos post of mine:

piemont-route-blogs-photo-album/topic5129.html

Keep on Walking your own Camino!

James

P.S. Margaret - I think we both need to become a little less distracted! :D

Lol James.......nahhhhhhh I quite like the distractions. I am already dreaming about too many routes to fit into one trip. But I can't afford to travel yet anyhow :shock: When finally there is only about six months before a departure date from NZ...... I am sure I will miraculously make my mind up :D
Margaret

Hahahaha Kiwi! That's exactly how I feel. Folks keep saying, "Which route will you walk?" And we just can't answer yet. The Camino will show us the way. All we know for SURE is that we are leaving here August 17 to fly into Santiago where we will decide which road to walk, and that we hope to meet for training in Moratinos sometime in November. Past that, it's a lovely Camino mystery! :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Seems to be a theme going here. I can't decide either. I will think I have decided and then reread part of my blog or look at someone's pictures and change my mind. Very confusing!

Melinda

Hello, I've found a set of maps for the route from Lourdes to St. Jean Pied de Port. It's about 120km. I am looking for information on the ajbuerges in France. Will I have much diffficulty finding inexpensive places to stay along that route? I think the link to the route maps has already been posted. In French, but pretty direct as far as direction goes. My French can handle that. The maps do not provide housing information along that way (Chemin du Piemont), that's where I'm lost.

Thanks!

I'm flying out of NY on 10 September.

Hi Minstral,

There are plenty of cheap hotels in Lourdes - try hostelworld.com for single rooms from 10-12 euro. For other places along the route, try this link: http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org. Its in French, but has some accomodation and maps on it.

I stayed in a gite in Bruges, called Gîte de groupe Le Landistou, part of a camping / caravan ground. There are a few on this route, but you may need to be prepared. I left the Voie du Piemont at Arundy to travel up the vallee d'Osseau. Check out this previous message: http://www.pilgrimage-to-santiago.com/board/piemont-route-blogs-photo-album/topic5129.html and http://huguesd.chez-alice.fr/Piemont/Itineraries ENG.htm
Accomodation isn't alsways cheap, but it is out there.
Cheers
James

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Minstral,

Lodging won't be a problem.
on the way I slept at refuges at Asson, Arudy, l'Hopital St. Blaise, Mauleon, St. Just Ibarre.
In Oloron there are some hotels, and there is a youth hotel.

Ultreya,

Carli.

Hi Margaret,

Yes, Lourdes is on the Chemin du Piemont - I have started walking from Lourdes, and ended up at the Somport pass by a variation over the Colles des Moines. I actually wanted to cross the Pyrenees here again. From Lourdes it is very well sign posted. From Google Earth I think I can follow some roads from the Via Podiensis to Pau and then on to Lourdes. But was just looking for some more definite information.

For those interested in the Voie du Piemont, here's a great site:

http://vppyr.free.fr/vpp-index-partir.htm

Unfortunately it is only in French, but once translated has great info.

Here is a link to a previuos post of mine:

piemont-route-blogs-photo-album/topic5129.html

Keep on Walking your own Camino!

James

P.S. Margaret - I think we both need to become a little less distracted! :D
yes Margaret, I walked from Lourdes in June of 2011 and it was a grand time mind you I saw only one young man and he was going to Lourdes as I left. There is adequate accommodation in church run places .

I am considering Walking te Camino again, this time starting in Le Puy. I would also like to visit Lourdes again, arriving on foot. I can work out how to get there from the Arles route (which I am also considering) but can't seem to work out where to leave the Le Puy route for this detour?

Does anyone have any suggestions? :?:

I am looking for a straightforward route, rather than a short one. A few extra kilometeres won't hurt! :D

Many thanks

James
My wife and I did exactly what you want to do, starting the Le Puy and crisscrossing down the Arles route then taking the route south GR 101 to lourdes. We did the walk in the spring of 2012. Check out out blog for more details.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back