• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

detours and alternative routes

dutchpilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
2002, 2005, 2008, 2012
Hi all,

There are lots of detours and alternative routes on the Camino Francés.
The detour to Eunate, San Xil or Samos, Suso and Yuso, the alternative to walk into Burgos, the Camino Duro or the N VI, the Camino del Invierno, and so on, and so on.....
Is there anywhere on the internet a comprehensive list to be found on all the detours and alternative routes?
Or can we make one over here?

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo
(Planning for autumn 2012)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Falcon,
Those sites I have found already.
But those are the main routes in Spain and Europe.
I am looking for the alternatives on the Camino Francés.
Thanks anyway,

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Carli,
There are more detours than alternative routes.
In my book I list about 14 detours (interesting places to visit) from the Camino Frances. John Brierley describes alternative routes on the Camino Frances in his guide book.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Grayland
I have purchased Sil's book on Kindle, and I have it on my iPhone for my camino next year.
Sue

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes - the book is available as an eBook and on Kindle.

I am happy to share the detours here:

Detours from the Camino Frances
When planning to walk the Camino Frances, allow a few extra days for detours from the Camino path. There are many interesting, historical places just a few kilometres off the actual path that are not on the modern Camino but which probably were a part of alternate trails in the Middle Ages. Some will add a few kilometres to your walk, others you can reach by bus or taxi or take a tour.

Ibaneta Pass
If you start in Roncesvalles, try to get there early enough to take a 3 km walk up to the 1 300 m Ibaneta Pass and look into France from the top. The famous monastery and hospice of San Salvador once stood here. There is a modern chapel here dedicated to Charlemagne and a monument to Roland. This is where the Route Napoleon and the Val Carlos Route join.

Roncesvalles
Many pilgrims start at Roncesvalles (or stagger in late from St Jean Pied de Port!), but because they arrive on the evening bus, they don’t have time to explore this historic monastery complex. Try to get there the day before, or take a taxi from Pamplona (share the fare with other pilgrims) so that you have time to visit the cloisters and the museum with its extraordinary reliquaries and other artefacts. Scan the church walls for mason signs; visit the old walls of the original hospice opposite the church and the monastery ossury that is said to hold the remains of Charlemagne’s soldiers.

Eunate
From Muruzabel, about 3 km off the Camino path, is the octagonal church of Santa María de Eunate. Built around 1170 it has been associated with the Knights Templar and excavations close by have revealed numbers of graves with scallop shells suggesting that it could have been a funerary church. The church has been described as "The Feminine". The walls have many mason signs that you will see all along the Camino. There is a small refuge there but check to see if it is open before planning to spend the night.

Clavijo
18 km south-west of Logroño is the stunning ruined castle of Clavijo, reputedly the site where Santiago appeared on a white horse to help the Christian soldiers against moor invasions. You can take a taxi there or walk there and back in two days.

San Millán de la Cogalla
14 km south-west of Azofra are the magnificent monasteries of Suso and Yuso, the first built between the 5th and 6th centuries and the Yuso around the 16th century.

Atapuerca
Book a guided tour to the fascinating archaeological site which lies within a military zone about 40 km from the village. Atapuerca is one of Europe’s most important archaeological sites.
It was declared a World Heritage Site in 2001.
(No private visits allowed.) info@atapuerca.es

Santo Domingo de Silos
Take a bus from Burgos to the monastery where the Gregorian chants were made famous a few years ago. (The trip itself is an experience, along narrow winding roads, through stunning, rock-face scenery.) The cloisters are unique and the pharmacy museum is worth a visit.
Plan on spending at least two nights. The bus leaves Burgos at 17h30 and returns at 08h30 the next day – not leaving enough time to see the village, hear the chanting and visit the museum. http://www.hotelsantodomingodesilos.com

Castrojeriz
Climb the hill and visit the ruins of the castle Mirador with spectacular views of the valley below.
Visit the Convent of Santa Clara about 2 km south of the village – a closed order – where you can buy biscuits and other baked goodies by passing your money through a revolving serving hatch.

Ponferrada or Astorga
About 60 km from Astorga and 20 km from Ponferrada, is the fantastical landscape of the Medulas which used to be the most important gold mining area in the Roman Empire. Las Médulas landscape is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

Vega de Valcarce
You will see the Castle Sarracin squatting on the high hill to your left on the way to O Cebreiro. Originally built in the 9th century, it was owned by the lords of Sarracin who also owned 35 small towns in the area. This 14th century was one of eight castles owned by the Marques de Villafranca. A round trip of about 45 minutes will reward you with extensive views and an impressive ruin that has sheer cliffs on three sides.

Eirexe
A 6 km detour to the recently restored, spectacular Monasterio de San Salvador at Vilar das Donas. The Knights of Santiago settled here to protect Christian Spain from the Moors.

Finisterre and Muxia
About 90 km west of Santiago is the small fishing village of Fistera or Finisterre, known as The End of The World in medieval times. The bus takes about 2.5 hours or you can walk there in three to four days and earn the Fisterrana certificate.

Muxia
25 km north of Fistera and the final destination of Santiago pilgrims, legend has it that the Virgin Mary appeared to an evangelic apostle. The Celtic stones near the church are said to be remains of the Virgin Mary’s stone boat.

Padron
South-west of Santiago visit the church of Santiago which contains the ‘Pedron’ stone under the altar. This is the stone where Saint James’ disciples tied their boat when they came ashore with his body which they had brought from the Holy Land.

From YOUR CAMINO:

(I have a brief synopsis of 64 Camino routes in the book ranging from short [80km] joining routes to the 1300km Camino del Levante in Spain and some from Belguim, Germany, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Switzerland.)

Besides starting at St Jean, there are alternatives to getting onto the Camino Frances.

Ruta del Baztan: ± 100 km Bayonne to Trinidad de Arre and Pamplona
It is possible to walk from Bayonne to the Camino Frances in five to six days, joining the route at Trinidad de Arre about 4.5 km from Pamplona. Although this is considered an ancient route, used by the Romans on the Camino Real, it is not a frequently used route and does not have much in the way of pilgrim accommodation until it reaches Trinidad de Arre. http://tinyurl.com/3nffmjy

Via de Bayona: 290 km from Bayonne to Burgos
The route starts in Bayonne and hugs the coast, passing through Hendaye, Irun and Hernani before turning south-west towards Vitoria. From there it continues in a south-westerly direction until it reaches the Camino Frances at Burgos.
http://www.Caminoviadebayona.com

Camino Vasco del Interior: 210 km from Irun to Santo Domingo del Calzada
The Camino del Norte which starts in Irun splits into two – one path continuing along the coast and the other, the Vasco del Interior, turns south to Santo Domingo de la Calzada on the Camino Frances. This Basque route was the gateway to the interior of the country from Irun in Roman times.
http://tinyurl.com/42pvee8
http://www.Caminosantiagodecompostela.c ... norte.html

Ruta Vadiniense Picos de Europa: 134 km from Potes to Mansilla de las Mulas
There is an oral tradition and archaeological evidence for this route which passes through the spectacular landscape of the Picos de Europa joining two of the three holy cities in Spain – the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liebana (whch houses a piece of the true cross) and Santiago de Compostela. The route starts at Potes on the Cantabria coast and flows south where it joins the Camino Frances at the city of León. http://www.rutavadiniense.org

..just a tiny quibble. The Vadiniense joins the Frances at Mansilla de las Mulas, or Puente Villarente if you are truly hardcore.

Thanks Sil, for being such a resource.

Thanks Reb,
I am keeping a list of corrections and changes which can be easily done on the Kindle and eBook versions but have to wait a while for the print copies. If anyone has bought the book and finds any errors please let me know - it is such a help.

The Brierley book shows almost all of alternatives along the main Camino Frances route. True side trips, such as Vilar de Donas and Santo Domingo de Silos, may be mentioned. Vilar is, I don't think Santo Domingo de Silos is. Most of the German guides, if you can read them, have extensive information! The Germans demand that of their guides. "Outdoor" seemed very popular this year among the Germans. I mistook it for an English guide based on its title. Beyond the title, there did not seem to be a single word of English.

http://www.amazon.de/Spanien-Jakobsweg- ... =pd_sim_b5

There are similar books for the "del Norte" and "Primitivo" routes, and probably others.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
in my blog/description of the route I took in 2009 I posted all the detours or alternative routes I made. the descriptions to get there/back are fairly detailed, too (or I'll be happy to answer any questions). see under respective days starting about two thirds down the page: http://camino-medieval.webs.com/camino2009.htm.

these are (camino francés only):
- beautiful entrance gate of cirauqui church that many miss because it's not directly on the route
- back (former camino) entrance to granon
- site of 11C battle between ages and atapuerca - fin del rey menhir
- cartuja de miraflores E of burgos
- along rio ucieza to villalcazar de sirga
- from calzadilla de la cueza to ledigos not along the main road
- from san nicolas de real camino to grajal de campos then to sahagun
- car detour to san miguel de escalada
- from astorga via castillo de los polvazares
- from el acebo to penalba de santiago then on to ponferrada (2 days)
- lusio (now also albergue)
- vilar de donas
- paco ulloa and castillo pambre

there is also a thread on this forum about the alternative avoiding estella (via zaraputz and lupin) where I posted its description.

I am interested in the alternative from el acebo or riego de ambros to molinaseca via the valley with the two medieval bridges on river meruelo. has anyone done it?

The PIlgrimage Road to Santiago by Linda Davidson and David Gitliz offers comprehensive information on interesting places and monuments of artistic or historical importance close to the Aragones and the Camino Frances.

As an aside. In 2004 I walked SJPP to Finisterre with no detours in a straight line (diverted on foot to Eunate).

Having got that out of my system I have found it useful to book into an albergue and then do the detour in a taxi. I have found someone who can negotiate in Spanish for the taxi to remain with me and then pay the driver for his time as well as the fare. I have usually found that others are interested in sharing both the taxi and the cost.

Just something you might like to keep in mind, especially if you are pushed for time.

I heard a suggestion that the church at Eunate was built by the Order of Jerusalem and not the Templars. Any one any info?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
church at Eunate was built by the Order of Jerusalem and not the Templars
Both were associated with it. The Spanish internet sites on Eunate history seem to say that it could be either, depending on which renovation one is talking about. The earliest building probably was neither.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back