• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Deuter packs

Novos

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hello,

I intend to do the camino during September this year.

In my area there aren't so many types of bags, so i was thinking of one of those 2 products:

Deuter act lite 40+10 or Deuter future pro 42.

Any thoughts about them?
Any experiences?

Thanks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used a Deuter Guide 45+ in 2014 and again this year. I also have the Futura 38 and a smaller day bag. They are a more robust pack than, for example, the Osprey packs I have tried, but the penalty is slightly more weight.

They are a great option if you are going to use a pack for more than the Camino. If you are only buying it for the Camino, lighter packs will be adequate.

I am also going mid Sept and have a Deuter 45+. My first Camino was 2014 and the weather and the pack worked perfect for me. After the first week I hardly noticed it. My torso length is 21 inches so I'm not really a small guy either. maybe I'll see you on the trail...Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used a Deuter backpack 45+10 (some ladies model) and was very pleased with it. One little annoying thing there was. Every day after some 5-6 kms walk the backpack started to have small squeaking noise. I could not find exactly where, but I assume it started when it got warm from my body after some walking, it was very rainy weeks and cool weather. I tried to adjust everything, but the noise was there after it started. Now it seems very irrelevant, but it was so annoying while walking :D

Hi Novo
Deuter packs are quality equipment. Very popular too on Camino .
My first one which was for travel plus Camino and was 55+. Much too big for Camino alone tho .
Current one is Deuter ACT lite 35 +SL
The last 2 letters signify a ladies slim line fit.
They can all be adjusted to the length of your torso and I love the fit. It just feels part of your body. I never notice the weight I carry. (My feet probably do tho!).
The current one has more than enough room for me but I'm thinking about moving to a 30l or 28l for next Camino.
The only thing I don't like about the act lite 35sl is that it doesn't have a rain cover inbuilt.
The rain cover seems to be standard with the other Deuter packs even those a little smaller.

Just make sure it's comfortable tho for you - irrespective of the brand. We just get comfortable with the brand we know.

Buen Camino

Deuter gets my vote too, for all the reasons cited by @OzAnnie. They are heavier than other popular brands (e.g. osprey) but they are very sturdy and have great lumbar support.

I've recently 'upgraded' from a 30l Futura SL to a 35+10l ACT lite SL (ladies packs). Both are equally sturdy and have the same basic design, including the zipped compartments at the top and bottom which I like. The ACT lite has an adjustable frame, which the smaller Futura doesn't. When I was doing my research, I found that there were small differences between each model - e.g. the pockets and compartments. We all have our personal preferences about how we pack and carry our gear, so if both of your potential choices are equally comfortable, I suggest that you also take the smaller features into account. For example, my new Deuter has one of those stretchy pouches at the front, which I always coveted when walking behind Osprey carriers! I wouldn't have chosen it for that alone, but it was one of my smaller criteria when 'shortlisting'.

Good luck with your selection. Can you buy both, wear them at home, and then return one of them? That's what I did and it definitely helped. It was good to put my own stuff in each bag to see how they felt.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Deuter gets my vote too, for all the reasons cited by @OzAnnie. They are heavier than other popular brands (e.g. osprey) but they are very sturdy and have great lumbar support.

I've recently 'upgraded' from a 30l Futura SL to a 35+10l ACT lite SL (ladies packs). Both are equally sturdy and have the same basic design, including the zipped compartments at the top and bottom which I like. The ACT lite has an adjustable frame, which the smaller Futura doesn't. When I was doing my research, I found that there were small differences between each model - e.g. the pockets and compartments. We all have our personal preferences about how we pack and carry our gear, so if both of your potential choices are equally comfortable, I suggest that you also take the smaller features into account. For example, my new Deuter has one of those stretchy pouches at the front, which I always coveted when walking behind Osprey carriers! I wouldn't have chosen it for that alone, but it was one of my smaller criteria when 'shortlisting'.

Good luck with your selection. Can you buy both, wear them at home, and then return one of them? That's what I did and it definitely helped. It was good to put my own stuff in each bag to see how they felt.
Well, i thought about buying 2 packs and try them at home, yet i dont have things to put inside.
I have no idea if my preparation is good enough compared to someone who'd start it in 1st of September.
I just got my insoles, i'll try buying shoes next week.
I dont have much time, i'm a student haha.

If you're a student and you're young and fit, just buy the cheaper one! Assuming they are both equally comfortable, of course.

Nuala
Interesting observations .
I wasn't aware that the 'futura 30' wasn't adjustable.
Hmm.

Maybe I'll stick with trusty one I know.

Enjoy your Baztan route Nuala. I've been watching your posts with a lot of interest. Waiting for a finish date from work and then its retirement for me. !!!! All those caminos out there still - and I won't have to beg for time off!
Maybe the Cdm next.

And Novos?
Where are you starting from this time.? Camino Frances?
Your pack and 'boots/shoes'would be the most important (and most costly )two items you'll need. Read up on the threads in this forum about footwear choice. Make sure you are fitted well and that your boots size has allowance for the swelling that can occur.
You have to have happy comfortable feet.

Buen Camino Novos.
Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nuala
Hmm.

Maybe I'll stick with trusty one I know.

Enjoy your Baztan route Nuala. I've been watching your posts with a lot of interest. Waiting for a finish date from work and then its retirement for me. !!!! All those caminos out there still - and I won't have to beg for time off!
Maybe the Cdm next.

And Novos?
Where are you starting from this time.? Camino Frances?
Your pack and 'boots/shoes'would be the most important (and most costly )two items you'll need. Read up on the threads in this forum about footwear choice. Make sure you are fitted well and that your boots size has allowance for the swelling that can occur.
You have to have happy comfortable feet.

Buen Camino Novos.
Annie

Yes, i'll be doing the Frances version.

I dont have experience, but i thought - putting cream on your feet, liner and woolen socks, insole and sweat inside a shoe/boot would be a mess?

Yes, i'll be doing the Frances version.

I dont have experience, but i thought - putting cream on your feet, liner and woolen socks, insole and sweat inside a shoe/boot would be a mess?
Ha ha. It does sound a mess like that!

You've got time before you leave to test the ideas and see what suits you best.
It will be warm when you walk in September.
many people prefer water proof boots (goretex lined). My feet get awfully hot in w/proof footwear in warm seasons. I've worn different types, depending on season. Non goretex are worth looking at in your choices.
I can't advise you on socks and liners , I've tried both ways but usually end up wearing one pair at a time (woollen type). Many schools of thought. Whatever works for you .
I hope you're one of the lucky ones who don't have foot problems.
A good plan If you pass a stream and your feet are hot - stop for a rest, take your shoes off and give your feet a 'treatment ' in the cool water! happy feet - Aaaaah!
Try using the Vaseline on your feet after your showers or at night .
Buen Camino.

Hello,

I intend to do the camino during September this year.

In my area there aren't so many types of bags, so i was thinking of one of those 2 products:

Deuter act lite 40+10 or Deuter future pro 42.

Any thoughts about them?
Any experiences?

Thanks.
Depends on whether male or female, size and back length. I am 160 cm, weigh 65 kg and have a short back. The Deuter Groeden 30 ltr is my perfect pack...
Measure yourself and contact Deuter for advice.
Personally I like lots of compartments and outer pockets for various categories of stuff and go for a lightweight pack. If you are a big bloke your garments will take more room in a pack and you need a bigger one, same goes for should you go in cooler months.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nuala
Hmm.
Maybe the Cdm next.
Annie

Annie, I wouldn't rule out the 30L just because it isn't adjustable. For me, it's the perfect bag and has always felt like it's part of my body.

And thanks for the good wishes for our Baztan. I am so looking forward to it - just 11 days to go. I'll post all the details when we get home. I'm surprised that more people don't do this route, especially when so many of us fly into Biarritz.

Lucky you with an upcoming retirement date and no limits on your Camino adventures!

Well, i thought about buying 2 packs and try them at home, yet i dont have things to put inside.
I have no idea if my preparation is good enough compared to someone who'd start it in 1st of September.
I just got my insoles, i'll try buying shoes next week.
I dont have much time, i'm a student haha.

Novos: coincidentally, I ended up shopping for a backpack with my husband yesterday. He tried on every male pack in the (big!) store and ended up buying a Deuter. When trying it on, he filled it with sleeping bags and other items from the shop floor, rather than just using the plastic packing that was offered. This gave a much better idea of how it will really feel when it's full.

As regards your preparation, you're right to prioritise your backpack and your footwear. If you don't already walk regularly, it would be a good idea to walk as much as you can between now and September so that it isn't too much of a shock to your body on the Camino. You'll find lots of helpful information on this forum about all aspects of your preparation - just use the search box, or ask a question.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Annie, I wouldn't rule out the 30L just because it isn't adjustable. For me, it's the perfect bag and has always felt like it's part of my body.

And thanks for the good wishes for our Baztan. I am so looking forward to it - just 11 days to go. I'll post all the details when we get home. I'm surprised that more people don't do this route, especially when so many of us fly into Biarritz.

Lucky you with an upcoming retirement date and no limits on your Camino adventures!

Novos: coincidentally, I ended up shopping for a backpack with my husband yesterday. He tried on every male pack in the (big!) store and ended up buying a Deuter. When trying it on, he filled it with sleeping bags and other items from the shop floor, rather than just using the plastic packing that was offered. This gave a much better idea of how it will really feel when it's full.

As regards your preparation, you're right to prioritise your backpack and your footwear. If you don't already walk regularly, it would be a good idea to walk as much as you can between now and September so that it isn't too much of a shock to your body on the Camino. You'll find lots of helpful information on this forum about all aspects of your preparation - just use the search box, or ask a question.

Good luck and Buen Camino!
Thanks for your advice!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.