• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Devastated

MaWinMex

Time of past OR future Camino
I am devastated.
In preparation for my long-anticipated Camino pilgrimage, scheduled to begin from SJPDP 9 days from now, a month ago I was hiking 5+ miles a day, walking rapidly for maximum aerobic effect, with no problem, and feeling more fit every day.
Today I couldn’t walk from the bed to the bathroom without a total loss of breath. Putting on my hiking boots required a 10-minute recovery.
When I first started noticing these symptoms, I immediately entered a state of denial, which only ended this morning. I kept telling family, friends, and myself that everything was copacetic, no problem, good to go. As the symptoms became increasingly severe, I finally had to let my wife know what was going on. But I was still determined to soldier on, declaring that even if I had to walk 100 yards, rest, and repeat for 500 miles, then that's what I would do. This morning I finally gave up, and am waiting for a call from the Labor Day weekend on-call doctor to figure out what's going on and what to do. As I wait, I'm cancelling hotel, B&B, and flight reservations, each cancellation a fresh disappointment.
Whatever this turns out to be, and whatever the solution, I'm more determined than ever not to let the dream die.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Oh, my. Your Camino has begun, but not how you might have thought.
I'm sorry this has happened to you @MaWinMex , but as @wayfarer said, far better at home than on the road...better for you and better for everyone around you.
May you have news soon, and great that you're taking this seriously: you need a healthy body to carry that dream! All good wishes and buen camino...on the patience road...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am devastated.
In preparation for my long-anticipated Camino pilgrimage, scheduled to begin from SJPDP 9 days from now, a month ago I was hiking 5+ miles a day, walking rapidly for maximum aerobic effect, with no problem, and feeling more fit every day.
Today I couldn’t walk from the bed to the bathroom without a total loss of breath. Putting on my hiking boots required a 10-minute recovery.
When I first started noticing these symptoms, I immediately entered a state of denial, which only ended this morning. I kept telling family, friends, and myself that everything was copacetic, no problem, good to go. As the symptoms became increasingly severe, I finally had to let my wife know what was going on. But I was still determined to soldier on, declaring that even if I had to walk 100 yards, rest, and repeat for 500 miles, then that's what I would do. This morning I finally gave up, and am waiting for a call from the Labor Day weekend on-call doctor to figure out what's going on and what to do. As I wait, I'm cancelling hotel, B&B, and flight reservations, each cancellation a fresh disappointment.
Whatever this turns out to be, and whatever the solution, I'm more determined than ever not to let the dream die.
Firstly, you health is your wealth and not just for you but your family.
Secondly, the Camino is going nowhere, so get your health sorted and start looking forward to your camino

@MaWinMex so sorry to hear of your circumstances. Devastated doesn't describe it really. As @Viranani says, you are already travelling your Camino but a very different kind to the one that you anticipated.

Buen, Buen Healing Camino. We'll all be thinking of you.

I'm sorry to hear this but thankful it happened at home with family to help. I will be praying for you.
I agree with Mike. I empathize with you though, it must be difficult to remain at peace but try and embrace this trial. If you are meant to walk the Camino, you will. I wish you well and courage!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am devastated.
Devastating, yes, but you will hopefully return to good health soon and can continue to make plans for your Camino. While reading the description of your symptoms, I could not help but to be reminded of my husband's sudden episode with pulmonary embolisms last year. This is a very serious condition but can be easily treated with the proper medical attention and continued medicine. It would be my suggestion that you not wait for the on-call doctor to visit but that you instead seek immediate attention at the nearest hospital. All the best for a speedy recovery and your upcoming Camino trip.

@MaWinMex so sorry to hear, hope already some progress made with expert medical help . One step at a time, the Camino will reserve your place, and be there when you're ready, wishing you and speedy resolution on this difficult first stage , Buen Camino

I am devastated.

That is too bad.... Right decisions, though. Both to see the doc and to hold on to your dream. I pray all will be okay with you soon on your get-better-camino!

I am devastated.
I hope
is nothing serious,I will keep you on my prayers, maybe is not the perfect time for you to do it, take it easy! ;-) Maybe next year! We had to postponed ours for 10 years for one reason or other,and now,planning our second Camino , everything happen for some reason , don't hesitate !! You will do it !!! Keep your faith ! Buen Camino

Our hearts go out to you to be so close. As other's have said, there is a gift in it happening now in the company of family.
My prayer for the healing of your body as well as spirit
Nanc

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am devastated.

I hope you are feeling better soon. Do whatever you have to do to return to health and don't rush it. The Camino is patient. The road will wait for you and the hills will still be there ready for you to climb them. Buen Camino.

The most important thing is your health. The camino will always be there every day in your life. Get well and recover for the next step of your journey. Don't give up hope - perhaps it is nothing. Ultreya!

Sorry to hear but it may have been a blessing in disguise as the temp. Down here in Valencia and most of Spain are experiencing a heatwave. So you made the right decision there will always be another time Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... I'm cancelling hotel, B&B, and flight reservations, each cancellation a fresh disappointment....
Shortness of Breath is a severe medical symptom that bears careful attention -- ignoring it could prove fatal. So you've done the right thing in consulting a physician.

Sometimes the Universe reschedules our Camino for us. There is no logical explanation for this; it just seems to fit our life better the way it actually turns out. We only perceive this wisdom in the rear view mirror, though, at a distance of some months. In the moment, we only experience the frustration of our immediate plans.

(TL;DR -- One of the major lessons of the Camino is that we are not in control. Sometimes this lesson starts before the walking does.)

I to wish you a quick recovery

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry to hear that too - but better to die at home in your own bed than out there by yourself :):)

Hope it turns out not to be serious and that you get back on track really soon - the Camino will still be there.

Oh geez, I am so sorry to have read your post. I can well imagine how full of remorse you might be. However, you appear to be a person of fortitude and goal-reaching so given that... your various strengths will prevail.
Hang in there! I'll see you on a Camino!

MaWinMex, I am sorry to hear of your health problems. I hope you get a good diagnosis and a speedy recovery . . . . . . and a chance to re-make those reservations.

€83,-
Oh no. How troubling, how frustrating, how utterly depressing. But you must get yourself better first. Your plans WILL work out.

I am devastated.
I am so very sorry to hear this. I hope you find out what is wrong and that you get it taken care of quickly. I will be praying for you. May God bless you as you continue to plan and finally walk your Camino.

What's the saying about if you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans?
It's very sad that you've had to postpone your long awaited Camino, but I pray that you'll soon be on the mend & can reschedule.
Take care, our health is so important.
Suzanne :)

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back