• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diabetes and the Camino de Santiago - a study from Penn State College of Medicine

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Dear all,

I had a nice coffee with Ariana (Principal Investigator for this study) in Santiago recently. She is looking for pilgrims that have walked the Camino de Santiago with diabetes, she wants to learn from their experiences so that this can be shared with future pilgrims with the disease. So if you have have diabetes and have walked the Camino, please click the link below to fill out the questionnaire (only 9 questions).

More about this study:

This study is gathering opinions about challenges and solutions to diabetes self-care encountered during pilgrimage. This is intended for pilgrims 18 years or older with diabetes or accompanying a pilgrim with diabetes.

The information will be used to generate suggestions that can help others have a healthy and safe pilgrimage.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for posting it. Leigh Brennan on Facebook recently posted a podcast on Type 1 on the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just completed it as well.
Made me think that the diet and exercise on the CF is great treatment for diabetes. Don't forget your meds.

I had A-fib when we walked in 2014, against my doctors wishes. But I promised to be sensible and take care of myself (and if things got bad there are beaches on the Mediterranean :)).
There were many hills where I stopped to catch my breath and let my heart calm down.
In the end, it was Beth's bum knee that was our biggest concern.
Our 2014 Camino is one of the highlights of a wonderful, full life, and we're hoping to return soon.
Buen Camino

Hi. I have type2diabetes and didn't have an issue with walking the camino ....walking for 5-6 hours average each day helped keep my blood sugars in my "normal" range, along with my medication. My weight dropped with less access to the fridge. Also my blood pressure went down with my weight and my fitness went up.
Regarding the survey, I'm confused why this research isn't targeted at those with type 1 diabetes. I couldn't find a question asking what kind of diabetes I had. The issues of storing medication, dealing with hypos and hypers along the way and choices available of low sugar/low fat foods would be much more of a concern for them.

'Hopefully we can see results of the survey. In hindsight a question about whether type 1 or 2 would be helpful. I completed the survey (and Camino Frances) with Type 1. I found albergue breakfasts of very little before walking and getting a real/second breakfast was a challenge, and managing a lot of activity in the first half of the day followed by very little activity after stopping. Doing laundry, resting feet, and sitting around drinking beer and wine every day is not the healthiest activity. Concerns over open blisters on my feet in dirty community showers were not a problem as I started early and quit early and was usually one of the first in the clean showers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear all,

I had a nice coffee with Ariana (Principal Investigator for this study) in Santiago recently. She is looking for pilgrims that have walked the Camino de Santiago with diabetes, she wants to learn from their experiences so that this can be shared with future pilgrims with the disease. So if you have have diabetes and have walked the Camino, please click the link below to fill out the questionnaire (only 9 questions).

More about this study:

This study is gathering opinions about challenges and solutions to diabetes self-care encountered during pilgrimage. This is intended for pilgrims 18 years or older with diabetes or accompanying a pilgrim with diabetes.

The information will be used to generate suggestions that can help others have a healthy and safe pilgrimage.
IVAR: Is is this survey still operational?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.