• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diabetes with insulin pump on the Camino?

pien1

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese september 2023
Would love too hear about experiences from People with Diabetes and on an insulin pump

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Currently on Via de la Plata, type 1 diabetic but not on a pump. I have self-funded a Libre sensor for the Camino (UK NHS doesn’t fund this for me) as I found finger pricking in the cold on the Camino Portugais a few years ago stressful and problematic. I find that I probably only need half the fast-acting insulin I would normally take at breakfast and lunch when walking and scan very frequently. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you also need less long-acting insulin, but I haven’t changed that at the moment as tapas lifestyle seems to mean I am not having hypos at night at the moment!

For information, I am 61, physically pretty active at home and we are not doing very long stages so the difference between my home life and Camino life may not be as marked as for some. Also the weather while warm is not too hot and that would also make a difference (tend to hypo more easily in very hot weather)

I hope this is of some help, even though not a pump user. There is absolutely nothing to prevent you having a wonderful time as long as following the usual caveats. A couple of other possible pointers 1) not sure if you are flying, but hope you know not to put insulin in the hold luggage as low temperatures will degrade it 2) I always take far more insulin than needed and have split this and my other meds with my husband just in case either of us lost our rucksacks. 3) also carry a copy of my prescription in case need to resupply in an emergency at a Spanish farmacia ( I have been assured by others that not only can this be done but also Spanish pharmacists tend to speak excellent English). I am not bothering with refrigeration by the way, but will probably throw away any unopened insulin when we get home.

Buen Camino, have a wonderful time!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Currently pre-diabetes on daily medication, testing three times a day to keep those numbers down below 100 mg. Am wondering how to handle « pilgrim menus » if these are full of potatoes and starch…

Currently pre-diabetes on daily medication, testing three times a day to keep those numbers down below 100 mg. Am wondering how to handle « pilgrim menus » if these are full of potatoes and starch…
Order the mixed salad! Eggs, tuna, tomatoes, greens, delicious and very filling!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Am wondering how to handle « pilgrim menus » if these are full of potatoes and starch…
The "ensalada mixta" with eggs, tuna, etc., is offered almost everywhere, and is usually one of the options for first course on a pilgrim menu. Also, you can usually ask to have a small salad with your main course instead of the potatoes.

For breakfast, you might want to carry your own supplies - plain yoghurt or fruit purchased the evening before, nuts, chorizo, etc.

that type of salad is often proposed? And how about breakfast?
I left before breakfast was served and waited until I had walked to the first open cafe. If they make bocadillos you can ask for just jamon y queso (sin pan) -ham and cheese no bread.

I'm not diabetic but I always had cheese and nuts in my "emergency rations". The packet of Happy Cow or whatever it's called cheese is not delicious but it is in individual portions and I didn't have to worry about it squishing out of the packet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am interested in this also! I am starting the CF in April with a Tandem pump. There are indeed several older threads but they are quite outdated in the technology of the current pumps. The pump I have does automatic corrections and adjustments. In training it is often too aggressive and so, I quite often just turn it off, but there must be a better way. Would love info from someone who has done this, particularly using an Insulin pump in Auto mode!

The "ensalada mixta" with eggs, tuna, etc., is offered almost everywhere, and is usually one of the options for first course on a pilgrim menu. Also, you can usually ask to have a small salad with your main course instead of the potatoes.

For breakfast, you might want to carry your own supplies - plain yoghurt or fruit purchased the evening before, nuts, chorizo, etc.
Thank you so very much for the details. I understand that walking after a heavy breakfast will ease the glucose levels…we will play it by ear as far as that is concerned… Dinner on the other hand needs to be organized.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here we go, finished my 1 st Camino just a few weeks ago. Walked the Portuguese from Porto, 2 days coast, then central, then espiritual to Santiago.
Been on Insulin pump, followed my healthcare providers recommendations by lowering basal rates, changing insulin carb ratios, keep pump in exercise mode for entire time. This worked well, my bloodsugar levels were a little higher than normal but that was what we wanted.usually during night I would go down to normal levels. Food was challenging, as they love the white bread......would go with this in morning for breakfast but stayed away from pasta, rice dishes. Usually would have a protein filled salad around 1400/1500 and yoghurt or something small for tea. always had yoghurt or milk on hand, apple or orange as a snack.tried to be sensible. This all worked for me.
doubted the freshness of my insulin in a Frio cooling kit on last days, but pharmacies are well supplied with single use pens if you need fresh insulin, vials of insulin are hard to come by
Good luck to everyone
bon camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.