• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diabetic walk - how to keep insulin cool?

Keith Desbois

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May-June 2014
I am a 55 yr old Type 1 diabetic, planning to walk the whole Camino Frances from 5/5/14. I inject Novorapid three times a day and Levemir once. Unused insulin needs to be stored in a fridge, as it only lasts 28 days outside a fridge. I plan to allow 50 days for the walk. I anticipate that if I stay in pilgrim hostels, I will not always be able to rely on having access to a fridge. Can any diabetics who have previously walked the way offer any advice / experience?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am diabetic as well.

How are your levels during your training walks? I read somewhere that you may even have to cut down on insulin due to the activity involved.

I am only type II but has since moved down to pre-diabetic levels when I started training. During the Camino, I was finishing half a box of chocolates and my levels were still ok.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am a 55 yr old Type 1 diabetic, planning to walk the whole Camino Frances from 5/5/14. I inject Novorapid three times a day and Levemir once. Unused insulin needs to be stored in a fridge, as it only lasts 28 days outside a fridge. I plan to allow 50 days for the walk. I anticipate that if I stay in pilgrim hostels, I will not always be able to rely on having access to a fridge. Can any diabetics who have previously walked the way offer any advice / experience?

I am a type 2 diabetic. I take oral meds & Humalog and Lantus pens. I used the Frio extra large to keep my unopened insulin pens. They worked well for me since I made sure I soak the Frio in cold water, then it expands. Most of the time I would ask for cold water from bars or cafés . Pretty much my Frio pouch stayed cold for about 2 days so you need to make sure it won't dry up. It gets heavy though once it's soaked . I asked my pharmacist if my insulin pens might lose their potency while inside the Frio pouch and she said it should be ok-just keep it wet with cold water all the time. Hope this works for you. Take care & Buen Camino.

Will you not be able to buy the medication in Spain?

Yes, definitely Frio Coolers work. I have travelled to Thailand with one of those and it worked amazingly well. Bought mine on Amazon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Im type 1 diabetic and spent 90days walking from bilbao to lisbon. i kept my insulin cool inside a thermos bottle with ice cubes at the bottom. the ice i replaced daily, getting it from bars, which ALWAYS have ice, or freezers/fridge in the albergues, if available. depending on outside temperatures (20 - 30 degrees celcius) this method will cool the insulin 12 - 18 hours. i also had a frio pack, but didnt use it. the largest frio pack doesnt hold the supply necessary for 90days, and it only maintains the temperature of the water used to soak it. the thermos bottle method works great and you will have no problem keeping the insulin perfectly cool!!! my thermos also had a freezer bag around it and i placed it inside my backpack which further insulated it.
if youre from the EU and have a EU insurance card, getting new insulin in spain/portugal is no problem whatsoever.
buen camino.

I have notice a lot of DM patient like Frio Coolers because it was very helpful and I would recommend this as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am diabetic as well.

How are your levels during your training walks? I read somewhere that you may even have to cut down on insulin due to the activity involved.

I am only type II but has since moved down to pre-diabetic levels when I started training. During the Camino, I was finishing half a box of chocolates and my levels were still ok.
I am diabetic as well. Training has helped me come down to pre-diabetic levels and that’s fantastic (slap on the back) but sleep apnea is still an issue.

You ate half a box of chocolates during the entire Camino? Really?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.