• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diagram of Madrid Barajas Airport (MAD) Terminals 1, 2, 3, 4

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Angie,
I think that gives you a good sense of the layout of the airport, and you can see how T4 is really in a different world than T1-3. I would couple that map with a more detailed map like the one that the airport has online. That can show you how to get to train, bus, metro, etc. Unless you are going to change planes in Madrid, you only will need to focus on your particular arrival point. It will be T4 if it's Iberia or a One World partner like American or BA. It will be the old terminals, T1-3 if you arrive on any other carrier. Knowing that, you can then narrow down and find a map with the terminal you will have to navigate. Hope the link works. Buen camino, Laurie

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Language=EN_GB&ca=MAD&pagename=cartografia&ps=t

That is a very helpful link Laurie, thank you. (wish I could see how far the train station is from the airport though, when I clink on the outside map...) I will be arriving on American Airlines, and thinking I will take the train to Pamplona, but still a little confused about how to get to the train station. I am studying other threads on it but don't really have it set in mind on just how to do it. Also, cannot figure out how many trains there are daily to Pamplona. My flight arrives early in the morning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here is Madrid Tourist Map
http://en.redtransporte.com/madrid/tourist-map.html

Note the airport in the top right and Atocha station in the bottom right. The coloured lines with the numbers represent the Madrid Metro lines.

One way to get from the Airport to Renfe Atocha is the Metro. Take line 8 (pink) to Nuevo Ministerios. Transfer to line 1o (Blue) and take to Tribunal. Transfer again to line 1 (light blue) and travel to Atocha.

If you look up the Renfe schedule for tomorrow you will find 8 trains departing Puerta de Atocha with destination Pamplona. The schedule likely will be the same on your dates of travel. Likely the only one of use to you (assuming you plan to catch the bus to SJPdP at Pamplona) will be the 1135.

That is a very helpful link Laurie, thank you. (wish I could see how far the train station is from the airport though, when I clink on the outside map...) I will be arriving on American Airlines, and thinking I will take the train to Pamplona, but still a little confused about how to get to the train station. I am studying other threads on it but don't really have it set in mind on just how to do it. Also, cannot figure out how many trains there are daily to Pamplona. My flight arrives early in the morning.

Hi, Angie,
Whari has told you how to take the metro to Atocha, but I personally would take the Cercanías. This is the commuter train. If you were arriving in T1-3, it becomes a little more of a hassle because the Cercanías leave from T-4, but for you it's easy. There are trains every half hour and it's a half hour ride to Atocha. The train is new, fast, not likely to be jammed like the metro in rush hour, and no pickpockets that I've ever heard of, unlike the crowded metro lines.
I've attached a screenshot of the times, but all you need to remember is that there are trains at a few minutes before the hour and a few minutes before the half hour.

If you are going to buy your train ticket upon arrival in Madrid, you can buy it at the Cercanías/RENFE ticket office at the entrance to the train tracks. This small office is staffed with people who speak enough English, is never crowded in my experience, and it avoids the hassle of having to buy your train ticket once you arrive at Atocha. And if you are going to be on a fast train to Pamplona, you will get your train ticket for the Airport to Atocha trip for free!

I've also attached a screen shot of the timetable for trains from Madrid to Pamplona. I got the schedule for two days' from now, and you can see that though there are some trains that are full, there are plenty of seats available.

Buen camino, Laurie

Attachments

• Screenshot 2016-02-17 09.58.39.png
    Screenshot 2016-02-17 09.58.39.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2016-02-17 10.05.56.png
    Screenshot 2016-02-17 10.05.56.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 2
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also recommend Express Aeropuerto. It runs from all the terminals 24 h/day, it is probably safer than metro/underground and costs the same. I used it a few times to get to the Madrid airport to catch an early morning flight (no other public transportation at 5 am) . Yellow buses: SEE PHOTO

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back