• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Diary while on the move

gb

Time of past OR future Camino
05 Puy en Velay > Santiago; 12 Seville > Santiago
It has always struck me while as a prospective pilgrim / walker that it would be interesting to receive some details, in diary form, while people are on the road. However, I notice that this does not happen very much. Exceptions are when Pilgirm walked from Portugal to Santiago and his wife posted diary entries - fascinating - and now, via a "blog" (web log) by Kim Log under "My little blog". I am interested to know if people find it too difficult to do when travelling / too few internet cafes / computers available, or are they too modest to relate their experiences?

Do any previous pilgrims have any information to give on this?

gb

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At this point I think one can say that there are sufficient internet cafés to write a daily journal.
However, my personal experience is that I'm completely "in the moment" and do not wish to be working at a computer when walking a pilgrimage such as the Camino.
I have sent some journals (1 every week) in e-mail form to close friends.

For me... being tired, resting, walking and not think about home were the reasons that made me decide not to write a complete web-log at that time.

But maybe there are more people who do write a (almost) daily journal and make a web-log along the way... but I guess they won't be always as easy to find perhaps :roll:

Photo blogging on the Camino

I posted entries around twice a day to my photo blog using a Treo phone. There is almost 100% cellular coverage, including portable base stations! on the SJPP to Finisterre route.
It was very expensive as I found out on my return :-(
The phlog can be found at http://phlog.net/user/geofones/archive/20040908 from Sept 8th to Oct 8th 2004
All my friends say they enjoyed seeing it.
Geoff

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If I understand correctly... you have made your block with your mobile?!?
Or was that just for the places where you didn't have an internet café (or so)?
Cause I must say that the internet isn't so expensive... well at least almost for free, comparing to my mobile, which I only used for sms :roll:

Blogging with Mobile phone

Shamanca said:
If I understand correctly... you have made your block with your mobile?!?
Or was that just for the places where you didn't have an internet café (or so)?
Cause I must say that the internet isn't so expensive... well at least almost for free, comparing to my mobile, which I only used for sms :roll:

Yes I made the blog with my mobile phone. My phome has a UK SIM card so I was 'roaming' in Spain. The cost was about 15 Euro per megabyte. Each picture is about 50K so that means you get approx 20 pictures for 15Euro

I didnt use the internet cafes as it is quite difficult to transfer pictures from my phone to them.

Shamanca, thank you for your point of view.

I will attempt to put something on my weblog from time to time to keep some friends and family posted but also other camineros, past and future, could be interested.

I have just opened a blog at http://www.gbwalk.blogspot.com but entries are modest to date.

The blog site does suggest one can send blogs from a mobile phone so I will look into that possibility.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back