• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did/Does this forum help you?

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
If yes, please consider, if you have the means, to contribute to its costs! Running a forum costs money (domain name, software, server rental etc.) If you have benefitted from this forum, why not leave a donation here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades to keep it alive? Buen Camino, SY

PS This post was inspired by the many 'Thank You Forum' posts I have seen over the last weeks, I just wanted to highlight one other way how you can express your Thank Yous ;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I cant express in words how helpful this forum is .................. I just feel good being connected to fellow pilgrims and there is virtually no question that hasn't been asked in some shape or form. I have bought all my gear from reccommendations on this forum. Now to get back to St Jean Pied de Port and get walking!

Ditto all of the above!

Not only helps me; but, I hope I am helping others on here as well.

I hope to see Ivar in person late November and give a donation to him.

My way of giving in person. Of course others can donate other ways.

Let's keep this wonderful page up and running.

Last edited by a moderator:
If yes, please consider, if you have the means, to contribute to its costs! Running a forum costs money (domain name, software, server rental etc.) If you have benefitted from this forum, why not leave a donation here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades to keep it alive? Buen Camino, SY

PS This post was inspired by the many 'Thank You Forum' posts I have seen over the last weeks, I just wanted to highlight one other way how you can express your Thank Yous ;-)

This forum has helped me immensely in the past, and I know it will help me in the future. I have become a contributing member in order to help out. Now if I could just figure out how to post a question. I did it once a couple years back but forgot how :-( My own Camino has been put on hold for one reason or the other for the past four years. May 2017 is now my goal. Gathering equipment and just bought SYates book to help me with packing, etc. I've printed off Ivar's directions for asking questions so I will go from there. Thanks to everyone on this forum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To post a question just go to the sub-forum which is the best fit for your question. Click 'Start a New Thread' and type your question.
Make sure that the Thread Title reflects your question (in case you get that wrong, the modes will sort it out by moving it) and put all the background info about your question in the body text of the post. Buen Camino, SY

Yes, yes, have, will continue to!!

This forum has helped me so much, saved me so much, and provided hours of interesting, informative, and, often very entertaining, reading. My donations have been one of the best investments I've made in terms of what I get back for my dollar (wish stocks would do as well :p ).

Lately a lot of people have been calling the forum a virtual albergue. I like to think of it as a donativo virtual albergue. If I contribute my part today, it will help keep it here for the newbies that come by tomorrow.

Buen Camino, everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you for this post. I have sent a donation and appreciate all the wisdom and counsel received from this forum!

Yes indeed. Did, doing, and will continue to do. This forum is very meaningful to me, not only for the unending practical assistance it offers to so many, but for all the emotional support, encouragement, humour, tolerance and wisdom that I see expressed in the posts.

There are some very special souls on this site, including the moderators and it has become such a pleasure to have these 'sages' share their years of experience, giving sound advice, knowledge, humour and patience (particularly patience), all under the caring guidance of Ivar. There are hardly words to describe the effort it must take to make it all happen.

I have steered numerous future pilgrims to the site and will continue to do so, suggesting that they consider donating. It is a heap of work and ever so much appreciated. I also would like to acknowledge all the Hospitaleros, Pilgrim House, Pilgrim Office, Reception Centre in StJPdP, to say nothing of all the regional Chapter leaders. I know there are countless others. I'm walking in Scotland this coming Spring, but I do pray the body holds out long enough for me to do the Hospitalera service in 2018, possibly on the Portuguese. Even at age 80, I'm quite hopeful this will come to be. Bless you Ivar.

Funny this thread would show up today.

I donated to the Forum as a contribution for a photo I loved from another member.

Today I thought I would ask for a gorgeous pic of the Primitivo and make a donation to the Forum in lieu.

So if you have a high def, gorgoeous pic of the Primitivo, perhpas of the Hospitales route, please submited it, and I will donated another 30€ to the Forum.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope to see Ivar in person late November and give a donation to him.
My way of giving in person. Of course others can donate other ways.
People say that there is more karmic benefit from giving in person--so it's win-win, @martyseville! Good on ya!:cool:

Thanks everyone, for paying it forward--if we give others will benefit. (And Ivar doesn't have to roam around Santiago shaking his almsbowl....)

Yes and yes in bucket loads, I head off to Biarritz in two weeks and set off from St Jean on the 15th September. I'm like a kid on Xmas Eve, so exited but also very nervous of the challenges that lie ahead.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I treat this forum as one of my meds. I have to have a dose every day and it's definitely good for my health.A read a day keeps the doctor at bay.
Thanks Ivar for all the hard work,
Joe
PS I am busy right now sorting out a plan for the coastal Portuguese next year with my wife,all being well

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great thread SYates! I see the donation as an investment that pays off in savings on gear, travel, perhaps even on an avoided adventure in a less favorable route selection, etc.
Thanks for the reminder, and thanks to Ivar and mods for their hard work.

Yes, this forum was definitely the most helpful planning resource for me, and I've just donated. Should have probably done so before leaving but for various reasons couldn't. Excellent resource! Thank you for making it available!

Just bumping this thread gently up ;-) The minimum donation possible is just 10 Euro (or the equivalent in $) but it goes, when we all donate, a long way to keep this valuable forum alive. In the end software, server space, bandwidth and all these nitty-gritty details of running a forum do cost money. Not speaking of the hours of work going into it. Just saying ...

Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
to put this in perspective, at 10 Euro for 3 months, that's 3.33 Euro a month. How much does a venti latte cost at the local coffee shop? I spill more than 3.33 Euro worth of coffee a week reading posts by @SYates . It's a pretty fair price for entertainment, let alone the educational end of it.

edit: heck, I can't even get Correos to haul my bags for 3.33 Euro:rolleyes:

... I spill more than 3.33 Euro worth of coffee a week reading posts by @SYates . It's a pretty fair price for entertainment, let alone the educational end of it. ......

Never thought that my remote control coffee spilling abilities would contribute to keeping this forum online. But so be it :D I also donate a splash of Vino Tinto over a keyboard of your choice from time to time :cool: BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Funny this thread would show up today.

I donated to the Forum as a contribution for a photo I loved from another member.

Today I thought I would ask for a gorgeous pic of the Primitivo and make a donation to the Forum in lieu.

So if you have a high def, gorgoeous pic of the Primitivo, perhpas of the Hospitales route, please submited it, and I will donated another 30€ to the Forum.

Your wish is my command.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back