• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did I hear correctly there is a fast train from SdC to Madrid?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
First half of the journey is very scenic, but feels like you’re never going to get anywhere, then suddenly it gets a move on. 4.5 hours or thereabouts.
It arrives at Chamartin, the northern station in the business district.

First half of the journey is very scenic, but feels like you’re never going to get anywhere, then suddenly it gets a move on. 4.5 hours or thereabouts.
I caught the fast train from SdC to Madrid in July 2019. It was great! It didn't feel fast until I looked at the speed display in the carriage or looked at G Maps on my phone.

I caught the fast train from SdC to Madrid in July 2019. It was great! It didn't feel fast until I looked at the speed display in the carriage or looked at G Maps on my phone.
personally, I enjoy that train very scenic, I remember when there was a night train that took forever and stopped at every village.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Almost as fast as flying when you consider all the wasted time of getting to Airport, checking in, waiting etc etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
personally, I enjoy that train very scenic, I remember when there was a night train that took forever and stopped at every village.
I miss the Tren Hotel. It was perfect for me. I would get a bed, sleep through the night, arrive at Chamartin about 8:00 and catch a 10:00 flight home. Travel and hotel wrapped in one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also took this train two weeks ago to Madrid. I will keep doing it when in Santiago. The bus takes twice as long (about 8 hours) to Madrid. As for flying, as someone wrote above, 4 and 1/2 hour is about as fast, if not faster, than getting on a plane (considering the fuzz of transport and waiting at the airport). The train is comfortable and doesn't make any stops so I felt I was in Madrid in no time! I took the train at about 6:30 in the morning, I arrived around 11 and had almost a whole sunny day to spend in Madrid!

Last edited:
Yes, in May 2016 I took the fast train from SdC. It left really early in morning and took approximately 5.5 hours. I took a photo of the speed, keep in mind this wasn’t the fastest this fast train traveled. 🚆 it was a pleasant ride.
7DA7519D-85C9-46F0-A3BE-CB0922ADD3FF.jpegEC879772-9CE7-4DC9-9AA0-455F19F05078.jpeg2531228E-434F-4910-82BC-94412DEB0DB3.jpeg

They always had, the faster one has less stops and Was only certain days if I remember correctly

zzotte

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I miss the Tren Hotel. It was perfect for me. I would get a bed, sleep through the night, arrive at Chamartin about 8:00 and catch a 10:00 flight home. Travel and hotel wrapped in one.
Wait, what, it’s gone 😱?!? I loved my little train compartment. Nice dinner, watch some scenery go by, falling asleep to sound of train…

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has the Trenhotel ceased or is it just suspended because of you-know-what?
Wikipedia has some back and forth on this question. Turns out they were suspended during covid, then most were permanently cancelled (including Lisbon-Madrid, which I have taken and enjoyed). But then in 2020, Renfe announced that the trenhotel would be restored to Galicia. As of April, 2021, at least according to this source, nothing has happened to make people think it will be restored.

I think that if the EU makes progress in its plan to reduce short flights in order to encourage train travel, it may rise again. But for now, I don’t think there are many people who want to pay for a bunk on an overnight train when you can fly for 30 euros!

RIP trenhotel…if pics post correctly my travel “companions” checking out the bed (next to cheap suitcases I bought in dollar store to pack my backpack, poles etc for flight home), the view from the dining car

in fact if covid ever settles down I’d planned to take the train to the east coast next year just bc I had so much fun traveling on the trenhotel and the FEVE

Attachments

• 1544B599-C21A-4EF0-B4C5-2598DD222DF5.jpeg
    1544B599-C21A-4EF0-B4C5-2598DD222DF5.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 03256BB7-5F50-413D-833C-B8B955EB8CE3.jpeg
    03256BB7-5F50-413D-833C-B8B955EB8CE3.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 27
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back