• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did they reroute from O Pedrouzo?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
This morning, I almost sent my pilgrims off in the wrong direction today from Pension Maribel. In the past Joe and I have gone back down to the main road to catch the Camino, but they were sent up and to the left to a forested track. Was I dreaming, or have they rerouted the trail?

When I walk alone, I do a bit of road walking.
Maybe that’s what I was thinking of?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The path goes through the woods out of O Pedrouzo. We usually leave early in-the morning and I am not keen to walk through the woods in the dark. So we leave via N 547… the path and the road intersect in Amenal (circa5km) . After sunrise, I wouldn’t recommend walking on the road. Lots of traffic and trucks.

BTW there is an arrow shortly after you leave town, heading west (on 547) Yellow arrow on the pavement, right-hand side (north) which then reroutes one to the the path. However there was no official marker that I observed. But a couple who were behind us took it, and later, after Amenal, they came by us.

Last edited:
Hi Annie, I'm wondering when you last walked it? I think it's been pretty much the same for many years now. I seem to remember getting lost in the woods in the dark about 10 years ago when trying to make an early start... What I hadn't realised until I pulled up the map is that the path through the woods comes back to and crosses over the 547 further along. And on this map the road is marked as a cyclists route - so maybe that's the route the pilgrims walked many years ago?
I remember the camino is definitely marked as a right turn up to that complex of municipal buildings where it joins the path through the woods that bypasses O Pedrouzo

Attachments

• Screenshot O Pedrouzo Magnified.png
    Screenshot O Pedrouzo Magnified.png
    742 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot Camino@O Pedrouzo.png
    Screenshot Camino@O Pedrouzo.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This morning, I almost sent my pilgrims off in the wrong direction today from Pension Maribel. In the past Joe and I have gone back down to the main road to catch the Camino, but they were sent up and to the left to a forested track. Was I dreaming, or have they rerouted the trail?

I walked in March, and took the forest route. It was splendid. But poorly marked and Appeared to send me down a dirt road to cross the highway ( bike route). I continued forward thru the forest on a fire lane to connect to the farm road leading into town. Very calming and scenic route.

Yes, I agree. I did the Francés in 2018 and Madrid in '19 and as far as I can remember, I followed the signs halfway through O Pedrouzo then a right turn up through the woods.
However, I have just completed the Primitivo in May '23 and as you approach the N-547, instead of the arrows turning you left towards O P, the arrows take you straight across the main road into the woods. The next thing you know, you are up parallel with the airport!
Shame and why? O P has lots of accommodation and bars. I shared a memorable pizza with a fellow pilgrim and stayed at the REM hotel there. Maybe the citizens of the town didn't like pilgrims passing through but it is a handy source of money for the town itself. When (not if) I do my next Francés related Camino, I shall ignore the diversion and walk down O P high street - for old times sake.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I tried the road route in 2021 but considered it too dangerous and headed back to the forest. Last year (2022) I headed straight for the forest route. Yes it’s dark, but normally someone else is lighting up the path already. (Or so it was for us both times)

Yes, walk out of town and pick up the forest route at the end of town if anyone does not want to do it half way through.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back