• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did you bring a sleeping pad?

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
Did you bring a foam or inflatable sleeping pad on your walk, and if so, what kind was it and when/where did you use it?

I'm wondering if there are times one can sleep under the stars with a sleeping pad and bag along The Way, or if bringing it will just add useless weight.

Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I never take one and you won't need it when staying in albergues. You mention considering sleeping under the stars; I never did that (although I like the idea) and in that case it would be usefull I suppose. Whether this is usefull extra weight, or useless extra weight, depends on your priorities I suppose (I am not a member of the weight police).

You could use it if you want to but I would be shocked if at the end of your Camino you will say "I'm glad I brought it". That said, some days, I do get shocked.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm considering to take mine. As a first time pilgrim I don't really know what to expect from the camino or myself..

Will there be a lot of places to stop and sit down/ stretch your legs on the way between the Albergues? If not a matt would be great.. Or at least a sitting matt.. Not sure about how warm or cold the ground will be, but the last thing I want on the camino is a urin infection :eek:

The one thing I see more than any other item in the "Free Boxes" in the albergues are discarded sleeping pads.
You do not need one and if you DO take one, yours will most likely end up in the box with all the others.
It's absolutely unnecessary, in my opinion, and just added weight.

Thanks for all the replies. I realize I do not need a sleeping pad for the albergues. I was thinking more about for patches of grass, dirt/gravel, or even church porches, (cement), as someone noted.

I'm wondering if it's possible to sleep outside every other night or so, and not in a tent, and if I was near an albergue, if I could just pay their room rate, or a few Euros, to use the facilities.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have seen people sleeping in tents near albergues, being allowed to use albergue facilities. (in fact when I walked the Camino del Norte I saw this lots of times). So the same could possibly apply to people sleeping outside, but not in a tent, I have just never witnessed it. It all depends on the hospitalero and albergue ownership I guess. I think the only way to find out is to try it.

I'm considering to take mine. As a first time pilgrim I don't really know what to expect from the camino or myself..Will there be a lot of places to stop and sit down/ stretch your legs on the way between the Albergues? If not a matt would be great.. Or at least a sitting matt.. Not sure about how warm or cold the ground will be, but the last thing I want on the camino is a urin infection :eek:

Linni, I really understand you do not know what to expect from the camino and from yourself & it perfectly summarizes how I felt before my first Camino. However, if you walk the Frances, there will be lots of bars and benches where you can sit. Or stones, or other things. I would not take a matt just to sit on during your break, I have never seen any one taking a matt just for that purpose and I have never met a pilgrim with a urin infection. However, if it would make you feel more comfortable, take one, but I think you will throw it away after a couple of days. Anyway, Buen Camino, I think you'll be fine. Marc.

Or at least a sitting matt.. Not sure about how warm or cold the ground will be

Hi, at the top of my pack I always carry a supermarket plastic bag, which I use to sit on if the ground is wet, dusty or dirty. I do this on day hikes with my local hiking club, and there is always someone who says they wished they had one too, so I usually carry a few now! It is also useful for picking up any litter on our nature trails. Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have a foldable sitting pad from IKEA, about 45x45 cm, 85g. Very happy to have it and never thought of leaving it behind. Early morning at breakfast sitting on cold stone benches - there is no way my precious butt is going to touch the cold stone. I would stand if I didn't have the pad. Or I put it on the gravel covered ground to rest my bare feet on. Or to sit on the ground.
Outside Camino life use it during dog walks.

Many good answers to this thanks guys :) Will probably cut a small piece of the pad for just a little thing to sit on! Hehe better safe than sorry :cool: If one day I realise I don't need it I'll just leave it behind

On the Lisbon route you may need a pad if sleeping at the bomberos. It's on the floor mostly. Though we had beds at one stop. We slept on a school floor one night without a pad. Still a bad nights sleep. You choose if to carry one or not!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back