• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did you come to love your sleeping bag ?

Deise

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to Santiago Sept 2013
Via de la Plata April 2015
i have been reading about a sleep advisor (yes) to the England soccer team and also the UK cycling team.
One of the things he introduced were sleep pods / temporary sleep packs so that team members would have
Familiar environments when travelling.
This got me thinking to times when I was positively contented to get into my sleeping bag on camino.
It was like getting into my own bed even though , as you know, usually surrounded by people.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love my sleeping bag. Forget the “silk liner” thingy and albergue blankets. There is nothing like snuggling down into your own, warm cocoon, physically tired, a couple of vino tintos inside you, some new camino friends lightly snoring near you . . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No, I didn't come to love my sleeping bag; in fact I was disappointed in it. I found it too warm, and the tapered 'mummy' feature too restricting. I finally ditched it, and just used my silk liner and, if necessary, an albergue blanket.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
i have been reading about a sleep advisor (yes) to the England soccer team and also the UK cycling team.
One of the things he introduced were sleep pods / temporary sleep packs so that team members would have
Familiar environments when travelling.
This got me thinking to times when I was positively contented to get into my sleeping bag on camino.
It was like getting into my own bed even though , as you know, usually surrounded by people.

I did. I've tried to consider a sleep sack but I really don't feel like it's bedding. Just feels like a wrinkly, uncomfortable sheet bag to me.

On the other hand I also came to hate every unnecessary ounce I carried. My down sleeping bag weighed about 2 lbs., so I got another one, also down, that weighs 1/2 lb. less.

Last edited:
I was once in a group of quilters who joked that we loved quilting because it was an excuse to snuggle a blanket without being compared to a 2 year old who carries his or her "blankie" everywhere. On the camino maybe our sleeping bags serve a similar purpose.

I did love my sleeping bag -- a very light down Sea to Summit Tr I. I have been using it as a summer quilt now that I am home. The fabric is not the usually clammy sleeping bag stuff. The bag is very light but also feels cozy. BUT - on the Le Puy route in May, in old stone albergues, I was sometimes cold - even with the bag, a silk liner, and merino longjohns. I think it is rated to 10 degrees C/50 degrees F. It is under a pound and packs up to the size of water bottle. And it is a very nice blue!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I share a ZPacks 323gr 5°C down bag with my husband (we take LDW trips at separate times so the bag gets shared between us). It ended up being too hot to use last fall and I shipped it ahead. Will probably pack it again for my next camino - maybe late April early May '16 timeframe. I personally would rather have a down quilt of the same weight.

I
I did love my sleeping bag -- a very light down Sea to Summit Tr I. I have been using it as a summer quilt now that I am home. The fabric is not the usually clammy sleeping bag stuff. The bag is very light but also feels cozy. BUT - on the Le Puy route in May, in old stone albergues, I was sometimes cold - even with the bag, a silk liner, and merino longjohns. I think it is rated to 10 degrees C/50 degrees F. It is under a pound and packs up to the size of water bottle. And it is a very nice blue!

I am taking this same bag at for when I start at the end of September. Will I need t are my liner.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I

I am taking this same bag at for when I start at the end of September. Will I need t are my liner.

I really liked having both the liner and the bag. Some nights I used both, some nights the liner and some nights the bag.

I adore my super lightweight down quilt that can be transformed, zippered and buttoned into a super comfy sleepingbag if i want, but why would i, when the blanket option is soooo much nicer.
It covers me from head to toe and still have more than a foot in lenght to spare. Im not even mentioning the width....

And all this packs so tiny and light, its awesome.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also love my Camino sleeping system; silk liner with built in pillow case, super light fully "unzipable"bed.jpg down sleeping bag (also called liner sheet) and a small inflatable pillow as a luxury item.

Yes I loved my sleep system. I had anti bed bug sheet, silk liner, 750gram Lifeventure anti bed bug sleeping bag and 200gram thermatec blanket. I did not need to use any blankets in Albergues. I felt very happy sleeping in it, but must admit two things. My pack was heavier than it should have been and it took me quite a long time to pack in the mornings. It was April and May when I went and it was cold at times but I was always cosy and warm.

No, I didn't come to love my sleeping bag; in fact I was disappointed in it. I found it too warm, and the tapered 'mummy' feature too restricting. I finally ditched it, and just used my silk liner and, if necessary, an albergue blanket.
I'm tempted to do the same but am wondering if I'll be warm enough. I'll be on the Camino Frances starting Sept. 24. In what months you were on the Camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm tempted to do the same but am wondering if I'll be warm enough. I'll be on the Camino Frances starting Sept. 24. In what months you were on the Camino?
April and May; we got to Santiago May 16th. I took a calculated risk when I ditched my sleeping bag. For one thing, we were staying most often in private rooms where bedding was supplied and secondly, I was travelling with two others both of whom had sleeping bags so, the odd time that we did stay in albergue dormitories, I had the use of not only the blanket assigned to my bed, but often the blanket assigned to the bed of one or other of my generous sleeping bag-clad companions. I'm not sure I would risk going without a sleeping bag if I were on my own, and certainly not if I were travelling during the shoulder months. I would though make sure that I had a sleeping bag that could open flat, as that kind would offer more flexibility.
Buen Camino.

I never used albergue blankets. The thought alone gives me the shivers, but thats another topic haha

Are you sure ALL albergues have blankets? I am sure i've come across more than a few that did not have any, at least from what i have seen.

All Albergues do not have blankets although most of the ones we stayed in did have them. Roncesvalles does not have them at all.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like sleeping in sleeping bags too and got a fairly light one, about 850 gr. rectangular shape that fully unzips and has a pocket at the top that you can fit a pillow into or clothes to make a pillow. Using the blankets didn't appeal to me either.

Having problems finding bed bug spray in Germany. Can I just use the stuff for fleas?

Not sure if flea spray is the same. I think it would need to have permethrin in it. There are some threads on bed bugs elsewhere on the forum that you might want to take a look at as there is quite a lot of information. We didn't take spray with us but did spray our packs before we left and when we got back home too just in case. Our sleeping bags and silk liners were already treated. I also had an anti bed bug sheet that I put on top of the bed. We ordered our spray from the Internet.

Last time I was in Galicia in September I took the nail scissors to my woderful second hand ultralight down bag and removed bungees, ties, velcro and labels, everything that was annoying or in the way when i open it (the zip only goes down to knee height) and turn it around like a duvet. I then keep my toes nice and warm inside no matter how I turn, and it is easy enough to get into and out of. If I zip it all the way up it is plenty warm enough. That bag is home away from home and I sometimes pull it over me on the sofa ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back