• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Did you frame your Compostela?

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I've returned home, with my Compostela in my little cardboard tube - and am now wondering what I should do with it.

Did you frame yours?

How important to you is it to display it publicly?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Didn't frame my Compostela. May get around to doing so, however don't know where I'd display it.

Aside from the Compostela, I took the same scallop shell on three Caminos, and will on perhaps others in the future. It may seem strange, but it is my wish to be buried with that shell.

I would frame my credential with all the stamps but not that Compostelle thing. The first year I didn't bother to pick one up.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Bill - say, I greatly enjoyed discovering your blog. All the positive comments you received were on the mark! But, as to your question...

Let the question rest for awhile. It is not as momentous a decision as walking the Way but certainly as personal.

I had thought to piece together my Compostela, Fisterriana and Muxiana into a nice display last November upon my return. It has not happened yet and I do not think it is going to.

What I have done is to make a high-quality scan of each into my computer so that I can look at them anytime without having to pull them out of the fireproof box where they reside. One of these days soon, I will segregate each into its own tube protected with acid-free paper. And then they will go to my safe deposit box. Along with my shell.

Sometime in the future (far future, I hope) the kids will find them when they are cleaning up after me and maybe be inspired to try it for themselves.

Thank you, Simply B, for the kind words about the blog. I'm still posting, and still getting extraordinary responses. (http://www.pgstheway.com.)

Yesterday my wife and I had a phone conversation with a nun in Ontario, whom I met through the blog. I'm a-religious, not Catholic, and I think this is the first nun I've ever spoken to! She is a wonderful lady, we had a great chat, and we're going to keep in touch.

But, as to the Compostela - it's interesting you say that about your shell, because you're the second person now who has put significance on the shell, perhaps more so than on the Compostela. I still haven't taken my shell off my backpack, and I don't know that I ever will, other than perhaps to protect it. (I'm now starting to think of my next Camino, and I'll take that shell.)

I wasn't that fussed about getting the Compostela. The memories, and the experiences, to me are far more important... and they can't be framed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well my husband gave me a surprise birthday present this year and had my five Compostellas framed and they are now hanging proudly in my office. My shell also hangs in my office. It's still the original one which I got in Roncesvalles in 2007 and has accompanied me on each of my Camino's. Anne

What a fantastic birthday present Anne!

Bill

Yes, I did. I placed the three from Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia with my passport opened at colourful pages all in the one large frame. I am very proud of the display and it takes pride of place in our lounge room not far from the Papal blessing my wife and I received at our wedding 30 years ago. I'm not even Catholic but my wife is and although not a walker, supported and encouraged me. Both displays and my wife mean a lot to me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, I never thought about I might do with it.
I've never seen one - yet,
But when I may have earned it i think my attitude will be something along the lines of "the journey is more important than the arrival"

No, I wouldn't frame it and next time I wouldn't get one. The stamps refer to people, places, food etc. Looking at them makes me happy and triggers lots of memories....the Compostela doesn't. It's just a paper which makes me remember a quite unfriendly priest. The only unfriendly person we met during that journey.

Marian

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have mine framed and I love them. They are souvenirs that were earned rather than bought and to me represent great memories and lessons learned. They will (after I've decorated) be on display somewhere in my house, but for my enjoyment rather than that of 'the public'.

I can understand the point of view that you can't condense a camino into a piece of paper, but they just make me smile. :D

Buen Camino!

I didn't frame it and honestly don't know where exactly I stashed it, because it's just a piece of paper I had to pay for. The memories, combination of Q&As, insights etc. is what I really earned on Camino. I wasn't really even going to get it, but some other pilgs I used to walk with convinced me to get it. Also I didn't bother to get one in Fisterra, but now I feel like it is important at least to go to the Pilgrim's office in SdC for the statistics itself.

Ultreia!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Callea said:
I plan to frame mine. To me it will be far from irrelevant!

Completly agree! Definately not irrelevant to me. I will frame mine when I stop moving around so much and have a spot to hang it. I think the idea of hanging it with the passport is a great idea (although how do you see both sides of the passport!!).

larryflo said:
Absolutely frame it. I framed mine along with the Credencial and 4 photos, and hung my shell on the outside. I did this 7 times.
Does that mean you've walked the Camino seven times?

Gday Bill! No wont be framing mine. Won't be putting anything on display regarding our camino. There's no need to do so for us mate. We have the memories and the pictures. One of the things that struck me upon reaching Santiago was the "brag factor" of some (not all) "pilgrims"; the amount of sellos collected, the tee-shirts, etc etc. Each to their own, but I thought the whole concept of "the Way" is to become more humble?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
carriedavey said:
Gday Bill! No wont be framing mine. Won't be putting anything on display regarding our camino. There's no need to do so for us mate. We have the memories and the pictures. One of the things that struck me upon reaching Santiago was the "brag factor" of some (not all) "pilgrims"; the amount of sellos collected, the tee-shirts, etc etc. Each to their own, but I thought the whole concept of "the Way" is to become more humble?

I'm framing mine as a symbolic and visual reminder of what I'm doing. It will have nothing to do with bragging. I've collected one stamp a day, and have worried about the days when I take a rest day and forget to collect a stamp. No tshirts or souvenirs at all. It's taking me twice as long as most to compete the walk since I'm very slow and taking time to enjoy Spain, so I've nothing to brag about. It's not about bragging rights for me, and if this experience hasn't made me more humble, I don't know what will.

carriedavey said:
Haha - I found the ones who bragged the most were the ones who'd walked the least...
Bill

I agree Bill , the most"" carry on"" outside the pilgrims office we found was by the Sarria/group mob :x

In relation to Carriedavey , we never got a certificate until Finisterre , commencing in Le Puy :arrow:

Do we propose Astorga for the new starting point for any compostela just to get a few hills into the groups :D :D :D

Our compostela is in the draw somewhere however the screen on the computer has photo's of different caminos.
Its good walking into the office and seeing a new photo :D

We should not be judgemental but in saying that about 40% of our walking companions over the time/duration did not got one, just recorded their walk so their country was recognised.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes I had both the Credential and the Compostela framed, but for me to use the phrase of my friend Buckeroo,"Pride of place", goes to the Credential and it's sellos. I value both but the Credential is a record of the journey and not just the destination. I plan to return in the spring of 2014 and will frame those also.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We had photocopies made to show when we talk about the Camino, the originals we keep together in their tube. We want to keep them, and the credenciales, safe.
We have scanned and printed copies of the credenciales so that we can refer to them. They all live together, with our guide books, on the bookshelf.

All are important to us but we decided not to frame them. One day we might change our minds :)

Printing some of our photos might be a good idea though. Last night my computer just 'disappeared' all my photos from this year. Vanished without trace. However they were backed up on Terry's old computer and also (unsorted) still on my camera card so I didn't lose them totally :) .

I did.
It's hanging here on the wall right NeXT to me.
Proud of it!

Back