• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did you frame your credential?

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
I enjoy looking at my old credentials and remembering when and where I received each stamp. I have cancelled my 5th Camino scheduled to start in two weeks and instead of packing I framed a couple of my old credentials. Ivar has a great map for sale in the store that I've used to show where we have walked. How are you displaying your credentials or your Compostela?
Please share your ideas.20200613_140115.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here are my two photos, the Compostela’s and district certificates and the credentialsView attachment 76855

I have framed my Compostelas but keep my Credenciales in a special folder. My wall map would have to be the size of a house for me to stick in my map pins for all the places I have been on the Iberian peninsula so I just put pins in for my "jump-off /departure " points. :)

Yours aye

The Malingerer.

I enjoy looking at my old credentials and remembering when and where I received each stamp. I have cancelled my 5th Camino scheduled to start in two weeks and instead of packing I framed a couple of my old credentials. Ivar has a great map for sale in the store that I've used to show where we have walked. How are you displaying your credentials or your Compostela?
Please share your ideas.View attachment 76854
Nice! And I love that map. Where did you get that?

After our first camino (2015), we bought a map of Camino Frances. We went to a frame shop and placed the map at the top, two of our credentials in the middle, then our Compostelas at either side. It is hanging in our dining room. After our second and third caminos, we had our Compostelas individually framed and hung these in the dining room as well. We have plenty of wall space for several more.

Attachments

• 73D44E71-ACBB-4DDE-91B4-F9A854E3FA2A.jpeg
    73D44E71-ACBB-4DDE-91B4-F9A854E3FA2A.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 237
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perhaps I am in the minority...my credencial from 2013 rests in its mailing tube somewhere in my office. It has always seemed to me to be an inadequate summation of the many wonderful experiences I enjoyed on my first Camino.

We bought the map in Santiago's Cathedral gift shop.

One of the reasons we had ours framed is that there are many people that are not very familiar with the camino. It's easy for us to use this as a "show and tell" about the camino, major towns and cities we hiked through, and that the total distance we hiked is roughly 500 miles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Marvellous, memories, I have done similar and I seem to spend a lot of time pawing over the map.
Can anyone tell me how I put my my caminos under my picture. Many thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I framed my first credential back in 2000, but the rest are all in a box somewhere in a closet. One thing to pay attention to is the fading. I didn’t get any special protective glass, and though my credential has not been in direct sunlight, at least half of the stamps have disappeared. Looking at it just now led to the decision to take it down from the hallway where it has sat for 20 years! Another item for the closet. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Perhaps I am in the minority...my credencial from 2013 rests in its mailing tube somewhere in my office. It has always seemed to me to be an inadequate summation of the many wonderful experiences I enjoyed on my first Camino.
Mine too! Although seeing the lovely ones pictured on this thread almost inspires me!

Saw it! Sold out.
Back in stock now:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

This is what I have done with my first 3 years but unfortunately after my 5th year I've now got 15 Compostela and 5 credentials.
If I go through with what I've planed for next year, which will be Rome - Santiago - Finiste.. - Muxia. In the end I will have 18 Compostela and 6 credentials of which 2 of them will be about 1 and a half meters long because of the amount of Km involved.

P7050001.JPG

2012 May-June - SJPD, Finisterre, Muxia. 2013 May-June - SJPD, Finisterre, Muxia. 2014 April-June - Via De La Plata, Finisterre, Muxia. 2015 Geneva, Le Puy-en-Velay, SJPD, Hendaye, Camino North , Santiago, Finisterre, Muxia, all in 70 days (2269.52 km). 2016 May-June- From Lisbon Camino Portugues, Finisterre, Muxia. (2017) Pilgrimage Apostle to Apostle ) Proceno, Rome, Motginevro, Arles, Samport CF, SdC, Fisterre, Muxia, 3300.38km in 98 days starting walking the 2nd of April. (2018) Barcelona, Valencia, Via Levante by Toledo, Avila then Madrid back to Salamanca to finish on Via De La Plata and the usual Finisterre, Muxia. 1674.2 km And this is the very end of my Camino.
I posted this in 2016, since I got more and no space + all the credential, the equivalent of the more than 12000 Km walked only on the camino.
Ultreia.

Back in stock now:
Oh my... I just ordered it at the Wise Pilgrim...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am afraid to say mine are still in the cardboard tubes, which occasionally sees the light of day. After seeing those beautiful framed Credencials and Compostelas has given me ideas.
Perhaps I am being security conscious, but is it a good idea to post your name and passport number online.

We bought the map in Santiago's Cathedral gift shop.

One of the reasons we had ours framed is that there are many people that are not very familiar with the camino. It's easy for us to use this as a "show and tell" about the camino, major towns and cities we hiked through, and that the total distance we hiked is roughly 500 miles.

I have that map of the Iberian Peninsular and Southern France. You are right it does provide that "overview" that the non-pilgrim is not aware of. I will now consider having it framed it also - I just need more wall space to hang it. Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please share your ideas.
These are my son's credencials, distance certificate, and Finisterre certificate, but mine are framed exactly the same way in a different room. My Compostela is in a Compostela frame I got at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago, sitting at my desk at work (where I haven't been for a long time).
20200615_121924.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After our first camino (2015), we bought a map of Camino Frances. We went to a frame shop and placed the map at the top, two of our credentials in the middle, then our Compostelas at either side. It is hanging in our dining room. After our second and third caminos, we had our Compostelas individually framed and hung these in the dining room as well. We have plenty of wall space for several more.

That is beautifully put together.

Attachments

• 20190215_191332.jpg
    20190215_191332.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 81
Framed all three and my cerificate of distance. Framed my sons and his Finisterre compostela. Also hanging in the living room is my shell from Albergue Lurgorri in Mañeru. They presented it to me for having stayed there for a second time. Unfortunately Koldo closed up a few years ago. I am quite proud of my compostelas as when I first started walking, I had no confidence whatsoever that I could ever reach Santiago except by plane. I surprised myself and now, they bring back so many happy memories

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I lost mine in a hotel in Marocco.. And some handmade leather slippers...

When I learned that I could upload my own image to personalize my credit card, I used a picture of my credential. Now it will go everywhere with me, just like the original did!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gorgeous!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Always get a smile when I look at some of my Camino stuff. (My Credencials are in the little stand on the desk.) 😀🚶‍♂️
1592697068843.png1592697011557.png

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

1592741429679.png

This frame is the one I treasure the most, it is my longest camino, started from Proceno over 100 Km north of Rome, so that allowed me to get the Testimonium in Rome, then up Italy, into France via Montginevro down to Samport into Spain to SDC then Fisterra, Muxia, a journey of 3300 Km and to carry regards from Peter to James, as that was what I had promised to do when I was embracing James behind the Altar at the Cathedral. I forgot, for the credential I used 4 books, too many to exhibit here.

Last edited:
View attachment 77375

This frame is the one I treasure the most, it is my longest camino, started from Proceno over 100 Km north of Rome, so that allowed me to get the Testimonium in Rome, then up Italy, into France via Montginevro down to Samport into Spain to SDC then Fisterra, Muxia, a journey of 3300 Km and to carry regards from Peter to James, as that was what I had promised to do when I was embracing James behind the Altar at the Cathedral.
Ultreia
That's great. I've also made the journey in Italy from LaVerna to Assisi to Rome. I recognized the testimoium immediately.

Mine and my wife's Compostelas and distances Certificates from the 2017 CF which are hanging on the wall in the living room.20200621_151253.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
IMG_0467.JPG
IMG_0468.JPG

The Portuguese was too narrow for our credencials (and there we two each to fit all the stamps!) so we've kept those with our Compostelas. Both of these maps are National Geographic Adventure maps that we cut up.

Big maps like one in a previous comment also available here - https://shop.wisepilgrim.com/ :)

Attachments

• IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
C6388514-A63E-4B80-81E8-2FA5746FE77F.jpegD9453FA5-7712-4AB1-A282-B3E1F48CA1AD.jpegThis is what I’ve been doing this lockdown week, something I’ve planned to do for ages. And it was great fun! Now, whenever I go into that room I stand and study the photos again and again. Is that daft?
It’s really good to see all the beautiful ways others have framed theirs.
Buen Camino!

We're all confusing compostelas and credentials in this thread! My first compostela is framed, and all the others, save three pro vicari (which have been sent out to the survivors and, which I've since learned, have all been framed), are in their tubes, resting on a shelf. My collection of credenciales is something I quite value, and I take them out from time to time to review the steps I had taken. The old Canadian credential was in book form, and not open to framing but the current one, and the Québec credential which I have also used, could be. I note the comments about the stamps fading and would suggest that you ask your framer about museum glass, which would help.

A retired constable who is a member of the local Camino group in Ottawa advised us to keep our credentials as they could be useful support for our alibis. If the investigating team ever asked us where we were on the night of September 14, we could check our credentials and tell them that we were in Belorado sleeping with five Germans and, boy, did they snore.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Those photos are beautiful ; though to my mind, much and dearly as I love them, my current Credencial is mainly a tool for the Way there (and back ?), whereas any Compostela certificate is similar on my Way home, including so far when I've only hitch-hiked/hiked back along the Way instead of hiking all of it, as it deserves.

But I do always glue my Compostela into my Credencial, at least I have on my last two Caminos, as I view the two documents as being inseparable in purpose and nature. And helpful on the return journey.

I love the Administrative Documents of the Way of Saint James -- and all those lovely stamps along the Way are amazing -- but the nature of my Pilgrimages is to be found elsewhere.

Last edited:
We're all confusing compostelas and credentials in this thread! My first compostela is framed, and all the others, save three pro vicari (which have been sent out to the survivors and, which I've since learned, have all been framed), are in their tubes, resting on a shelf. My collection of credenciales is something I quite value, and I take them out from time to time to review the steps I had taken. The old Canadian credential was in book form, and not open to framing but the current one, and the Québec credential which I have also used, could be. I note the comments about the stamps fading and would suggest that you ask your framer about museum glass, which would help.

A retired constable who is a member of the local Camino group in Ottawa advised us to keep our credentials as they could be useful support for our alibis. If the investigating team ever asked us where we were on the night of September 14, we could check our credentials and tell them that we were in Belorado sleeping with five Germans and, boy, did they snore.

Hi oursonpolaire,
To be clear, this is some of my stamps from my Camino, Proceno, Santiago, Fisterra, Muxia.
Sorry I couldn't put them all in - it would have been too much to post.
Ultreia:)

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Ah I loved that Lescar stamp. I have a postcard of the archer which I sent to a friend who ran one of our local disabled person's groups, and she had it on her homepage for years.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I really want to get my credential framed and I’m a bit “stuck” because I can’t think of a creative way to be able to see both sides. Any thoughts???

View attachment 77391View attachment 77392This is what I’ve been doing this lockdown week, something I’ve planned to do for ages. And it was great fun! Now, whenever I go into that room I stand and study the photos again and again. Is that daft?
It’s really good to see all the beautiful ways others have framed theirs.
Buen Camino!

Ooh, looking good Shona 😊 and not daft at all!
Yvonne x

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My husband and I had ours framed together as our Christmas gift last year.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_110253769.jpg
    IMG_20200123_110253769.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 45
I really want to get my credential framed and I’m a bit “stuck” because I can’t think of a creative way to be able to see both sides. Any thoughts???
I had a similar dilemma. I took my 2 credentials to a professional framer who suggested putting them between 2 sheets of glass. I used the result to create a room divider between the living & dining rooms. It hangs over a cabinet where I have other Camino momentos & guide books. What great memories. Camino Frances 2019.20200627_003918.jpg20200627_003806.jpg

Be careful with the older Compostelas - they fade away to nothing if you're not careful. Even the Secretary's stamps (they were rubber stamped then rather than part of the print) are disappearing like Marty McFly's photograph! I've had to scan my one from 2001; enhanced the image and framed it that but it's a sorry looking thing. The original is now between two sheets of tissue and stored in a binder.

1593251811694.png

I had a similar dilemma. I took my 2 credentials to a professional framer who suggested putting them between 2 sheets of glass. I used the result to create a room divider between the living & dining rooms. It hangs over a cabinet where I have other Camino momentos & guide books. What great memories. Camino Frances 2019.View attachment 77755View attachment 77756
Wonderful! And very creative. I’m glad to know this is possible. Thank you 🤗

Thanks to all the posters and ideas presented here. I am facing the same issues as everyone else. The credential itself is double sided, and I don't want to permanently hide one side. So, I have come up with several solutions. First and most practical has been scanning each individual stamp, trying to exclude the neighboring stamps, which sometimes overlap. I use the photos application on my mac to edit/enhance the images. The images are downloaded into a file with other camino pictures and scanned copies of my compostela is Finisterre certificates. I use this file as a screen saver for my Apple TV. The individual images come up randomly while music is playing. It's a nice and dynamic reminder and conversation starter when guests are over.

For a more permanent display, I am planning to encase the credential in an epoxy resin block with a UV stabilizer. When I get around to this, I will post pictures. There are online sites that offer acrylic blocks as a similar solution (sandwich the credential between two clear acrylic blocks), but you would have to find a custom solution because of the odd size. I also highly recommend a UV resistant solution. The stamp ink will fade quickly otherwise. In theory this would then sit on a shelf collecting dust. That said, I intend to encase my scallop shell in resin and actively use it on my desk as a paperweight.

As for the various certificates... it's hard. I'll probably frame all three (Compostela, Finisterre and Distance) along with a map; but this is simply too much for the office wall. I'm thinking I'll hang them in my woodworking shop.

@Bradtheknife, your ideas are so unusual and creative, and I am impressed. You must have the patience of Job to see this to completion. Please share a photo/s of your finished project with us.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Bradtheknife, your ideas are so unusual and creative, and I am impressed. You must have the patience of Job to see this to completion. Please share a photo/s of your finished project with us.
Hey Thanks. I've been thinking about this for a good while. Even as I was walking... I really worked to get all the stamps on one side of the credential. I succeeded in getting the SdC stamp as the last one on the front page; but then walked to Finisterre and those stamps were on the back. In retrospect, I was naive to think I could squeeze it all in.

The Apple TV screen saver works really well. I will post pics once I find time to pour a resin block for my scallop shell and original credential. If I find a commercial acrylic block provider, I'll post that too

While planning for my first Camino I decided that I would frame my credencial and Compostela. After puzzling over the dilemma of framing the two sided credential and consulting with several peregrinos I found a solution. There wasn't any rule that said that one could not take two, or more, credenciales only stamping one side of each. The local framer loves to see me coming as I've had so many Camino documents framed.

Attachments

• camino wall.jpg
    camino wall.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 66
I have four red and gold tubes containing my compostelas lined up across the back of my computer desk. Every time I look up from planning my next camino, there they are to nudge me on. I have considered getting framed my one distance certificate, for walking the 1,000 km VDLP, But now I am deeply into planning the 1,300 km Camino de Levante, to be walked next spring, God willing. It will be my fifth camino walked, and my longest yet. I am planning to start around the date of my 73rd birthday in April. I like to have my credencials for the VdlP to hand for planning the final part of my route: Just where did I stay in such and such a place from Zamora to Santiago? I won't find that out from looking at the wrong side of a framed credencial. I must get two major health issues settled before I leave: a knee replacement (and recovery) and a COVID-19 vaccination. I am hopeful for both. I do not know how active camino walkers decide to put down the pack for good. Someday, I know that I shall find out. Until then, my credentials will remain essential parts of my planning process.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have four red and gold tubes containing my compostelas lined up across the back of my computer desk. Every time I look up from planning my next camino, there they are to nudge me on. I have considered getting framed my one distance certificate, for walking the 1,000 km VDLP, But now I am deeply into planning the 1,300 km Camino de Levante, to be walked next spring, God willing. It will be my fifth camino walked, and my longest yet. I am planning to start around the date of my 73rd birthday in April. I like to have my credencials for the VdlP to hand for planning the final part of my route: Just where did I stay in such and such a place from Zamora to Santiago? I won't find that out from looking at the wrong side of a framed credencial. I must get two major health issues settled before I leave: a knee replacement (and recovery) and a COVID-19 vaccination. I am hopeful for both. I do not know how active camino walkers decide to put down the pack for good. Someday, I know that I shall find out. Until then, my credentials will remain essential parts of my planning process.
Your are an inspiration to me. I did the Portuguese from Porto 5 months after my second total knee replacement and it went fine. Your only a few years older than me.

Your are an inspiration to me. I did the Portuguese from Porto 5 months after my second total knee replacement and it went fine. Your only a few years older than me.
Thank you. My knee repacement is tentatively scheduled for three months from now, so around the end of November. If I begin my next camino in early April, that will be around four months after my surgery. My younger brother, who had both his knees replaced some years ago, was hiking up a mountain four months later. He is a retired physical education teacher and very disciplined in staying active, so I know that I shall have to work at staying in shape before the surgery and regaining my mobility afterwards. But fortunately I have the option to not book my flight to Spain until I have been vaccinated for COVID-19 and regained my mobility.

Thanks to all the posters and ideas presented here. I am facing the same issues as everyone else. The credential itself is double sided, and I don't want to permanently hide one side. So, I have come up with several solutions. First and most practical has been scanning each individual stamp, trying to exclude the neighboring stamps, which sometimes overlap.
There is a website that has images of over 3,000 sellos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was concerned about fading so my first Camino docs are in a fireproof box with other important papers.

The remainder of credenciales and Compostelas were 'pro vicarie' and given to the surviving family. Except for two, for my late parents...

These occupy a space in my home office, out of direct sunlight and public traffic. I can open the shadow box box case at any time, and pull out the the passports to review with fond memory.

B

Attachments

• IMG_20180920_161649.jpg
    IMG_20180920_161649.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.