• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did you meet "The One" on the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arn

Veteran Member
On my first Camino (CF) in 2008, I was on the deck at Orisson. Two girls had just arrived. One blond the other a brunette. They went inside to check in and then returned to the deck a short time later. I invited them to my table and we spoke about the "Why" we were on Camino and agreed to sit together for the evening communal supper. One, a blond from Switzerland, really took my breath away. As it happens, over the next several weeks, we walked together, I was injured, we separated. We met up again, when she was injured. The magic was there. The timing seemed right. The Camino apparently agreed because each time we were separated for whatever reason we were brought back together. We three finished at SDC the same day. The brunette had to return to Germany so the Swiss Miss and I continued on to Finisterre. We have kept in touch, but no joy as we say in the military.
Have you had a similar, or better experience?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On my first Camino (CF) in 2008, I was on the deck at Orisson. Two girls had just arrived. One blond the other a brunette. They went inside to check in and then returned to the deck a short time later. I invited them to my table and we spoke about the "Why" we were on Camino and agreed to sit together for the evening communal supper. One, a blond from Switzerland, really took my breath away. As it happens, over the next several weeks, we walked together, I was injured, we separated. We met up again, when she was injured. The magic was there. The timing seemed right. The Camino apparently agreed because each time we were separated for whatever reason we were brought back together. We three finished at SDC the same day. The brunette had to return to Germany so the Swiss Miss and I continued on to Finisterre. We have kept in touch, but no joy as we say in the military.

Whenever the circumstances have seemed right: the mood, the conversation, the emotion(,*) and the shared experience, I have reminded myself that I’m married to Mrs Henry the Dog and if I want to stay attached to my genitals I’d better just wander off in search of another beer and keep my mind on the Camino.

* optional Oxford Comma for the punctuation fans

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I met her in Villafranca del Bierzo. Off the 7am bus from A Coruna. She'd had an interesting flight and a kindly Hotelier who woke her in time for the bus and drove her to the bus-stop. There were smiles on the faces of her fellow passengers as they watched us hug while the bus departed in a cloud of road dust & diesel fumes.

There were tears for both of us 3 days later as I handed her onto a return bus at some sparrow-fart hour of the morning. Her for A Coruna; me for O'Cebreiro

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whenever the circumstances have seemed right: the mood, the conversation, the emotion(,*) and the shared experience, I have reminded myself that I’m married to Mrs Henry the Dog and if I want to stay attached to my genitals I’d better just wander off in search of another beer and keep my mind on the Camino.

* optional Oxford Comma for the punctuation fans
One of the joys on the Camino is the new friendships, male friendships, female friendships, and the occasional beer. Particularly friendships with those who use the Oxford comma.

On my first Camino, once arrived in Roncesvalles, some bloke called out to me ‘and where are you from?’ He ‘d listened to me speaking in French, Spanish and English and was puzzled. I wasn’t amused (being French 😂) and probably answered something rude like ‘what is it to you?’ Oops.
To cut a (very) long story short, we ended up walking together most of the time... We also ended up walking to Jerusalem together. That and many other Caminos 😎
Life, eh? 😁

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

€149,-
I’ve told this before, but what the heck.

Here it goes.

At 28 someone told me I looked just like the Black Malibu Barbie atop the birthday cake at b’day party I was attending. BTW, party was in Malibu.

So, methinks, I am named Barbara where’s my Ken. So, offered up pray to Almighty.

Bless me with a man who is:

1. 6’2”/188cm.

2. 190lbs/86kilos.

3. Single.

4. Never-been-married.

5. No children.

6. Well educated.

7. Named Ken.

We would then live happily ever after as Barbie and Ken.

Fast forward twelve years and I am 40 on my second camino.

In Roncesvalles at pilgrim’s dinner I meet a man. A man named Ken. This Ken had all six points plus the name; seven out of seven.

The guy was and still is a Phd no less, fairly handsome too.

He possessed just one insurmountable problem. Just one itty bitty problem.

What is that you ask?

He is a Catholic Priest!

A Jesuit. He became a Jesuit one month after I was born!

At time of meeting he lived on Eastside of NYC’s Central Park and I lived on the Westside of said park.

To this day I still do not chuckle at Almighty’s sense of humor.

Last edited:
@nycwalking, my dear friend. There is no appropriate emoji for how I am feeling about your remarkable, yet unfinished journey of life.
You are very special...a virtual bestie that I hope one day to meet. You have given me a wonderful friendship that began on this forum with many laughs, and has blossomed through chatting in the online game we play, although you are most always the clear winner.
Yeah, I know I am sappy, but I don't care. I also realize I have digressed and hijacked this thread a little bit...I hope those reading and contributing won't mind.

@nycwalking, my dear friend. There is no appropriate emoji for how I am feeling about your remarkable, yet unfinished journey of life.
You are very special...a virtual bestie that I hope one day to meet. You have given me a wonderful friendship that began on this forum with many laughs, and has blossomed through chatting in the online game we play, although you are most always the clear winner.
Yeah, I know I am sappy, but I don't care. I also realize I have digressed and hijacked this thread a little bit...I hope those reading and contributing won't mind.

So often of late been feeling as if I am not a this enough friend or a that enough daughter.

Your post has truly made my day.

The Sun came out today instead of tomorrow.

Thank you CC.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been married twice. Cannot afford another "romance". When women approach me I look down into the Mother Earth and keep on walking. But I have met many wonderful people on my Caminos, women as well as

it’s a Rod Stewart quote:

Next time I’m thinking of getting married I’m just going to find a woman I don’t like and buy her a house.

Met a girl on the camino. Pretty. Fun. Being from a place quite close to my home.
I was separated from my wife at the time.
She was separated from her husband at the time.
For both of us, that was a major reason to walk the camino.
So we walked a lot together, we talked a lot because the situations were so similar.
In Santiago we rented a car and traveled Galicia for another week together and had a great time.
And nothing more ever happend.
For me, the realisation that i really liked her, but was not interested in anything more, was one of the reasons... i dont know how to phrase it in english.... give my marriage another chance? (spoiler: it worked). For her i can only speculate, since contact became rare after the camino, but shes back together with her husband and sharing lots of selfmade baby clothing on social media...
But well, i did not meet "the one" on the camino. I just realised the one is already waiting at home.

€149,-
Never met "the One" in life let alone on the Camino. Couldn't do it in 30 odd years so wasn't hopeful in 30 odd days
Marines have many sayings about life in the Corps, here's one “Everyday is a holiday and every meal a banquet!”
Rewritten for the Camino: “Where everyday is for reflection and every meal an opportunity!”
If one is open to the possibility of meeting “the One”. Then meeting that special person is still a possibility.

One of the joys on the Camino is the new friendships, male friendships, female friendships, and the occasional beer. Particularly friendships with those who use the Oxford comma.
A cautionary tale: I wasn't soul-searching on the Camino, but I inadvertently found the cure for one of my own irrational orthographic preferences. Having searched for a properly certified and environmentally committed tree surgeon from a shortlist of unimpeachable candidates, I selected 'the one' whose credentials were distinguished by his literacy. It was a major job, which had to be suspended over the previous winter. The following Spring, while en route to Santiago, I received an email from him indicating that he was ready to resume work. Preoccupied with the journey, I paid only cursory attention to the attached statement of my account. It was only some days later that I discovered the unexpected additional charge for the final stage of the work in progress, which was not stated in the original agreement. Having no desire for litigation, I paid a hefty price for my punctilious prejudice.

A cautionary tale: I wasn't soul-searching on the Camino, but I inadvertently found the cure for one of my own irrational orthographic preferences. Having searched for a properly certified and environmentally committed tree surgeon from a shortlist of unimpeachable candidates, I selected 'the one' whose credentials were distinguished by his literacy. It was a major job, which had to be suspended over the previous winter. The following Spring, while en route to Santiago, I received an email from him indicating that he was ready to resume work. Preoccupied with the journey, I paid only cursory attention to the attached statement of my account. It was only some days later that I discovered the unexpected additional charge for the final stage of the work in progress, which was not stated in the original agreement. Having no desire for litigation, I paid a hefty price for my punctilious prejudice.
Paladina,
Although most of the pilgrims on the Forum are erudite and deep thinkers, please consider writing shorter sentences that contain words of no more than six letters and few vowels. I'm getting a warning from my on-line dictionary about "over usage" of our support agreement within any twenty-four hour period.
Buen "Beer, bed, sleep, beer, walk, beer" Camino
Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my first Camino, once arrived in Roncesvalles, some bloke called out to me ‘and where are you from?’ He ‘d listened to me speaking in French, Spanish and English and was puzzled. I wasn’t amused (being French 😂) and probably answered something rude like ‘what is it to you?’ Oops.
To cut a (very) long story short, we ended up walking together most of the time... We also ended up walking to Jerusalem together. That and many other Caminos 😎
Life, eh? 😁
Wow , can you give us short synopsis of the walk to Israel?

I’ve told this before, but what the heck.
I had the opposite experience in Paris.

A girl who was basically the living incarnation of my adolescent fantasies (white-skinned, blue-eyed, black hair, ferociously intelligent, poetically and materially beautiful, honest, open, and highly cultured and very well educated) -- asked ME out.

Those were an incredible three weeks, 'til it inevitably came to a crash -- and Camino-wise, it was just prior to my 1994 from Paris -- but as regards nyc's query, whilst I deeply understand the question and its answer, your ideal is not necessarily who you need.

I had the opposite experience in Paris.

A girl who was basically the living incarnation of my adolescent fantasies (white-skinned, blue-eyed, black hair, ferociously intelligent, poetically and materially beautiful, honest, open, and highly cultured and very well educated) -- asked ME out.

Those were an incredible three weeks, 'til it inevitably came to a crash -- and Camino-wise, it was just prior to my 1994 from Paris -- but as regards nyc's query, whilst I deeply understand the question and its answer, your ideal is not necessarily who you need.

You can’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what your need. Rolling Stones.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It's never even occurred to me to look for "The One" on any of my many walks.

Traditionalist Anglican Catholic clergy marry, and I have in fact been married to "My One" for almost 40 years now. The greatest gift God ever gave me! … She's physically disabled and walking with me has never been an option for her, but she always says "I understand, dear! Go ahead, do it! I'll be here for you when you get back!." And, when I do get back, she lovingly sits through all my tales of high adventure in Ye Olde Spain....

What I do look for is "The" chorizo al vino!

Last edited:
@ Jabba Papa - Un coup de foudre, non?

If I may ask, how did things unravel? If too personal or painful, please ignore.

Traditionalist Anglican Catholic clergy marry, and I have in fact been married to "My One" for almost 40 years, now. The greatest gift God ever gave me! … She's physically disabled and walking with me has never been an option for her, but she always says "I understand, dear! Go ahead, do it! I'll be here for you when you get back!." And, when I do get back, she lovingly sits through all my endless tales of high adventure in Ye Olde Spain....

My heart for you and your ONE😇

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't think that I would want to find that on the camino. I am in a state of reverie there....everything is perfect to me.....no hassles, no bills to pay, no garbage to take out....both literally and figuatively...no work or job. Your only "job" is to wake up in the morning, put on your clothes and walk in bliss in Spain. If I met someone in this bliss and went back to the real world, I doubt it would be the same situation. You would be arguing about who takes out the trash. I love my time in Paradise and go back home with dreams.

I didnt "meet the One" on CF 2017 but I did manage to (largely) separate from someone who I thought way back when might be the One (she separated from me 45 years earlier, but that is another story). Something that never really went away...

I recently came across advice to intending pilgrims to"use the time on the camino to make peace with the past" and I realised that this is exactly what I (unknowingly) had done...

The long walk across the meseta allowed the feet to take over and the mind to wander where it would, and it settled on the events of many years ago and I resolved to do certain things when I returned home. As a result, the 'monkey' is now largely off my back!

Life takes strange turns...

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I didnt "meet the One" on CF 2017 but I did manage to (largely) separate from someone who I thought at the time might be the One (she separated from me 45 years earlier, but that is another story). Something that never really went away...

I recently came across advice to intending pilgrims to"use the time on the camino to make peace with the past" and I realised that this is exactly what I (unknowingly) had done...

The long walk across the meseta allowed the feet to take over and the mind to wander where it would, and it settled on the events of many years ago and I resolved to do certain things when I returned home. As a result, the 'monkey' is now largely off my back!

Life takes strange turns...
At least it was only a monkey!
I still have a gorrila living in mine, but I think I now have it under control.
Press on!

Traditionalist Anglican Catholic clergy marry, and I have in fact been married to "My One" for almost 40 years now. The greatest gift God ever gave me! … She's physically disabled and walking with me has never been an option for her, but she always says "I understand, dear! Go ahead, do it! I'll be here for you when you get back!." And, when I do get back, she lovingly sits through all my tales of high adventure in Ye Olde Spain....

Oh! Congratulations, btw. But your answer made me realise I probably (or rather very likely!!!) misunderstood the original question 😳 I met my ‘walking mate’ that first day in Roncesvalles, NOT a ‘romantic partner’. 😳😱

Wow , can you give us short synopsis of the walk to Israel?
Very short as I don’t want to hijack this thread 😳 (Mods, feel free to delete!)
I kept in touch with my walking friend after coming back from SdC and he told me about his plan to take a sabbatical year and walk to Jerusalem. And he added those magical words ‘you’re most welcome to join me of course’. So after another Camino, a year later we set off. From home to France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Cyprus... Then a flight to Tel-Aviv (at the time, 2014, we couldn’t find another option) and the final short walk to Jerusalem.
The walk of a lifetime and many memories. 🙂

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Met a few Highlanders, but not, I think, The One.

I really did, some years ago. And we are still together. I live in Germany, she lives in Spain, which became my second home. We did some caminos so far.

Normally we meet each other regularly, but since corona, it's not so easy to travel. But, that's how it is...

I walked with a friend of mine two years ago and he met his partner while on the Camino. They are both from Ireland and from the same city but had not met before day 1 of our Camino. I quickly became a spare wheel and let romance blossom. They still walk together on the towpath. Interestingly he is not allowed on another Camino with me 😀

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's gonna be 3 years in September since I met my Pippa on the first day of Camino Frances. We walked together the whole time... Then she returned to England and I went to Czech Republic. She visited me the next month for a week and we managed to be together on long distance basis for nearly a year visiting each other every other month. We were quite sure, we want to give our relationship a real chance. So I dropped out of uni and we moved to Scotland to live and study together. The covid split us for two months last year but we met on the camino this summer and now we are living in Czech Republic.

I would say meeting life changing people on the Camino is not the real struggle, it is the AFTER that is complicated and at that point just Listen to your heart as Roxette would sing.

I too met the one on the Camino in May 2015 . We continued a relationship between Belgium and Australia. We traveled around Australia, Europe and America and spent many months of the year together till February last year when he returned to Belgium after a trip to Australia.
I won’t go into it but my dreams of forever were crushed! No goodbyes no explanations !

I met her in Villafranca del Bierzo. Off the 7am bus from A Coruna. She'd had an interesting flight and a kindly Hotelier who woke her in time for the bus and drove her to the bus-stop. There were smiles on the faces of her fellow passengers as they watched us hug while the bus departed in a cloud of road dust & diesel fumes.

There were tears for both of us 3 days later as I handed her onto a return bus at some sparrow-fart hour of the morning. Her for A Coruna; me for O'Cebreiro
That is ALMOST(!) worthy of the unwritten Bard's tragedy! ;)

€46,-
On every single one of my Caminos I met at least one peregrina that I clicked with in some way, and spent at least a little bit of time with but circumstances or fate always caused our paths to diverge. A couple of them I managed to keep in touch with via facebook, but of course time and distance sometimes have a way of fading a friendship.
Still have wonderful memories of walking with them. Lunches and dinners together. Conversations.

I walked with a friend of mine two years ago and he met his partner while on the Camino. They are both from Ireland and from the same city but had not met before day 1 of our Camino. I quickly became a spare wheel and let romance blossom. They still walk together on the towpath. Interestingly he is not allowed on another Camino with me 😀
I’m the friend in question who endured my very own penitential rite walking with BG.

From the start the Spanish cuisine caused serious problems for his digestive system resulting in many an embarrassing event whilst walking as he often greeted fellow pilgrims with bottom burps as opposed to the obligatory Buen Camino.

Sadly I must report my new romance fizzled out when we returned to the Emerald Isle as without the balmy Spanish evenings, Rioja and música the chemistry just wasn’t there.

I would certainly be open to another Camino with BG but under strictly controlled circumstances.

I would supervise his consumption of exotic food, strictly limit his alcohol intake each evening and insist he brings fresh y fronts for each day to avoid the unedifying spectacle of his freshly washed but still skid marked smalls hanging out the window of our accommodation each day.

Nevertheless the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides and I view it as my duty to take BG on another leg of the Camino and continue my crusade to purge his mind of his constant lascivious thoughts and vulgar habits.

But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men,

ULTREIA!

I met the one in the Camino too. I wasn't looking for love at all... but the Camino gives you what you need not what you wish for. I will never forget him till the end of my life. I never met anyone like him, and I don't think I ever will again. We were both too broken, too unexperienced, and sadly, we couldn't make it in long term. But I shall hold his memory forever and I am thankful for every minute I spent with him.
Oh, and... I met him in Fromista.

In 2004, my first Camino. I met an English man while walking towards Astorga, we talked and walked together for about 2 hours, I stayed behind and lost sight of him, several days later I arrived to Ponferrada and the first person sitting by the water fountain in the albergue was him, we reconnected inmediatelly ans walked together all the way to Santiago an then to Finisterra, I had to return to Canada but we kept in touch every week, He came to visit me in Canada I came to visit him to the UK,
We got married in Canada, and now I live in England, (He says Canada is either too cold or too hot for his taste). Several caminos later we are still together and we are celebrating 14 year wedding anniversary this year

€149,-
In 2004, my first Camino. I met an English man while walking towards Astorga, we talked and walked together for about 2 hours, I stayed behind and lost sight of him, several days later I arrived to Ponferrada and the first person sitting by the water fountain in the albergue was him, we reconnected inmediatelly ans walked together all the way to Santiago an then to Finisterra, I had to return to Canada but we kept in touch every week, He came to visit me in Canada I came to visit him to the UK,
We got married in Canada, and now I live in England, (He says Canada is either too cold or too hot for his taste). Several caminos later we are still together and we are celebrating 14 year wedding anniversary this year
I am so very happy for you both. The magic of the Camino touches each of us in so many unique ways.
Bless you both.
Arn

I have been married twice. Cannot afford another "romance". When women approach me I look down into the Mother Earth and keep on walking. But I have met many wonderful people on my Caminos, women as well as men.
I have read your post two days ago and I must say what you wrote is keep coming back to my mind. I can relate to that... and this made me so sad Alexwalker... I truly hope one day you will look up. Love is the only thing that matters... but it is so hard to believe when you are hurt.

I have read your post two days ago and I must say what you wrote is keep coming back to my mind. I can relate to that... and this made me so sad Alexwalker... I truly hope one day you will look up. Love is the only thing that matters... but it is so hard to believe when you are hurt.
All is well. I have a girlfriend. Next time i stumble across one I don't like, I'll buy her a house and just walk away. It is cheaper and faster. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. --stephen stills

€149,-
I met the one in the Camino too. I wasn't looking for love at all... but the Camino gives you what you need not what you wish for. I will never forget him till the end of my life. I never met anyone like him, and I don't think I ever will again. We were both too broken, too unexperienced, and sadly, we couldn't make it in long term. But I shall hold his memory forever and I am thankful for every minute I spent with him.
Oh, and... I met him in Fromista.
Nice place to have met him. Fromista a nice town. One of my favorites on the Frances.

I have a number of 'possibles' , kindly indulge me. I have been though times where I have virtually lived on the Camino. There are about 4 or so shares that I would like to do do , all very different.

During my last Camino , I stopped off for a few days at Viana , Navarra.

One evening there was a special municipal function where the Logróno Orchestra visited Viana - €5 . everything from opera to bask and spanish singing , piano , sax and violin solos. The hall was packed , people were taking additional chairs from stacks and so did I. After an amazing night , I noticed the a small queue lined up to the PRO of the orchestra , it was the NO.1 pianist.

I had been so taken back by the the whole evening , so I joined the Queue.

She was at that time , one of the most beautiful Woman in the world. ......I very nearly dropped to my knees . and she actually spoke to me , in good english.

It was a good 5 years ago and I do hope she found a caring husband and she has a few Babas - my goodness , what a dream , but I was 55 . I would love to meet her again and just clasp her hand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Gosh, this thread, my creation, is sending me into a very maudlin, dark place. I lost my wife to both cancer and my own hard-heartedness. On my first Camino, I had just left a lady back home, I imagined she was "The One." Beautiful, respected lawyer, good (though not great) sailor and apparently in love with me. Even my kids liked her. But, my Camino was long planned and, with tears in her eyes, she just asked that I come back to her. You also know about the "Swiss Miss" of that same Camino. She plays a prominent part in my "factional" novel.
When I was injured, my lady back home pleaded with me to end my Camino, she said she would nurse me back to health. Each day, through emails, we talked about my Marine attitude and her need for me to come home. In my mind, I was in the moment. The Swiss Miss was part of that moment. I was reminded of the Garth Brooks song, "Unanswered Prayers"

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife (girl friend)
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

I did make it home. The reunion was fantastic! Then, she said that, in a moment of sadness and worry about me, she sought comfort in an old boyfriend's arms. I was devastated! I told her we can not go on like this. I thought she understood. We stayed great friends. Then one day she cut herself, saying, "I was her reward for not hurting herself." I was torn and conflicted, but remained available when her dark night encroached into her days. Hired away, she moved to a higher paying job in a city several hours away. She would call me, as I said she always could, at anytime of day. Each summer, I travel to Maine to teach sailing. That one summer, I was called by her previous boss who told me she had died.

Finding "the One" is a quest in life that follows many twists and turns. It spans your existence from initial discovery, through sharing of special moments, possibly to marriage and, as I often said to my boer meisie, "I just want to grow old gracefully, wrapped in your arms."

Five Caminos, and counting. I've met many a lady that could have been "the One." Hope springs eternal.

Gosh, this thread, my creation, is sending me into a very maudlin, dark place. I lost my wife to both cancer and my own hard-heartedness. On my first Camino, I had just left a lady back home, I imagined she was "The One." Beautiful, respected lawyer, good (though not great) sailor and apparently in love with me. Even my kids liked her. But, my Camino was long planned and, with tears in her eyes, she just asked that I come back to her. You also know about the "Swiss Miss" of that same Camino. She plays a prominent part in my "factional" novel.
When I was injured, my lady back home pleaded with me to end my Camino, she said she would nurse me back to health. Each day, through emails, we talked about my Marine attitude and her need for me to come home. In my mind, I was in the moment. The Swiss Miss was part of that moment. I was reminded of the Garth Brooks song, "Unanswered Prayers"

For the gifts in my life

I did make it home. The reunion was fantastic! Then, she said that, in a moment of sadness and worry about me, she sought comfort in an old boyfriend's arms. I was devastated! I told her we can not go on like this. I thought she understood. We stayed great friends. Then one day she cut herself, saying, "I was her reward for not hurting herself." I was torn and conflicted, but remained available when her dark night encroached into her days. Hired away, she moved to a higher paying job in a city several hours away. She would call me, as I said she always could, at anytime of day. Each summer, I travel to Maine to teach sailing. That one summer, I was called by her previous boss who told me she had died.

Finding "the One" is a quest in life that follows many twists and turns. It spans your existence from initial discovery, through sharing of special moments, possibly to marriage and, as I often said to my boer meisie, "I just want to grow old gracefully, wrapped in your arms."

Five Caminos, and counting. I've met many a lady that could have been "the One." Hope springs eternal.
My heart is with you 💕 No words😢 ultreia 🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Marines have many sayings about life in the Corps, here's one “Everyday is a holiday and every meal a banquet!”
Rewritten for the Camino: “Where everyday is for reflection and every meal an opportunity!”
If one is open to the possibility of meeting “the One”. Then meeting that special person is still a possibility.
"Every day is Christmas Day and every night is New Years Eve."

I met the one on the camino too, but outside the camino our lives were not compatible. So I called it off six weeks before the wedding :)

Twice.
The first one lasted for two years, he moved to me, into my country.

The second one has just finished, after four and a half years.

In my private life it is very difficult for me to date. I'm not good at it at all. On a Camino, I can be myself, I have time.... I really enjoy my life there.... I am not stressed at all.... Camino is healing.... in every aspect.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I once met the granddaughter of the 'Lost Princess of the Alexanders' or at least I thought I had after a few glasses of Vino. This was in Viana once again in a small hostel.
She was a petitte orienteering runner from the heart of Russia. At first I thought she was a school girl but it it turned out that her 'Brother' was in fact her 14 year old son. The third person to make up this threesome was a minder around 48 years of age who had worked on some huge concerts in Moscow including that of Billy Joel - I believed him .......... but I also thought he was secret service ; Goats milk cheese and vino was his indulgence. They had traveled by car to Pamplona where they left their vehicle at the Pamplona police station for safety. He was never threatening when I spoke to Princess Vera and she was incredibly receptive when it came to conversation - a University graduate no less. Princess Vera was so attentive , attractive , cute , you name it?
She had this face which just burst into bloom when she smiled , I was absolutely besotted.
There did seem to be more black cars in the street that day and when I went to hang some washing up on the balcony , I spotted this one guy in a KGB full length jacket , with a hat on ........in August .......hello?
I for one am convinced in love at first sight ; I do believe we have this primeval programming within us. I have been a FB friend with Princess Vera for over 8 years now. To share one of her photos would be wrong ME thinks but she did grant her and I a photo.
NOW , would anyone like to see the photo? It will mean that I will have to post the first pic of me since becoming a member - Who wants to see a Pic of the smiling Princess Vera and Toulouse-Lautrec?
@Arn

For the gifts in my life

🙏🙏

My adolescent crush was Annette on the Mickey Mouse Club. M I C K E Y M O U S E...eat your heart out Rolling Stones!
I guess you could say she was my first “The One!”
Mine was Yvonne de Carlo, aka the mom on the Munsters... she was just, perfect!

Reactions: Arn
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back