• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Did you take the wrong Poles this morning?

Nicolam

Time of past OR future Camino
This is for a fellow pilgrim - Katie Stone, who stayed in SAN Juan de Ortago Albergue/monastery last night. Someone much taller took her black diamond Poles by accident this morning and left her theirs -120 cm. Too high for her! She will be at the albergue municipal tonight in Burgos if you want to exchange.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use a Brother brand 1/2 " (13 mm) labeling machine to affix a double-line label to each of my poles. These hand-held things are very handy around the house, and for identifying things you travel with.

The label contains my e-mail address (which is also my name), and my mobile phone number with country code. Instead of "Tel" or "Phone," I state "iPhone: 1-999-999-9999," so the finder will understand they can text me as well.

I place the label high up, just under the grips, where it will not be affected by rubbing and water. Lastly, I place a strip of 3/4 inch clear Scotch tape over the label to provide additional protection from the elements.

I do this because: (1) I HAVE walked a kilometer or so from my lodgings the night before, or at a cafe / bar, THEN remembered I forgot my poles, and had to backtrack...(I HATE backtracking ALMOST as much as I deplore MUD); and (2) Just seeing the labels might indicate to a casual person that these poles are NOT theirs.

I hope this helps someone...

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I mark mine with a few yards of colored duct tape (to be used for other needs)
wrapped around each pole. I can spot them easily and it is more difficult for others to mistake them.

I also mark my Poles...but with my email address as I have found that many people are reluctant or unable to make phone calls..but will email.
I also mark all of my valuables this way, including my credential and national passport.

Actually...I always fold my poles and put them away in my pack before I arrive at an albergue. I do not put them in the big barrels with all of the others.
You are only required to leave them with the others if they are not put away and secured with your pack.

Actually...I always fold my poles and put them away in my pack before I arrive at an albergue. I do not put them in the big barrels with all of the others.
You are only required to leave them with the others if they are not put away and secured with your pack.

Agreed. My Pacer poles stay with me.

Hope Katie gets reunited with her poles.

This is for a fellow pilgrim - Katie Stone, who stayed in SAN Juan de Ortago Albergue/monastery last night. Someone much taller took her black diamond Poles by accident this morning and left her theirs -120 cm. Too high for her! She will be at the albergue municipal tonight in Burgos if you want to exchange.
My 120 cm Black Diamond Z poles fit in my pack with all my gear.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hoping there was a happy ending here.

I always INTEND that my poles stay with me. But, one does have "senior moments" each day. Also, I distract easily...

So, putting contact information on these costly items is a good idea....IMHO.

Also, I use 3M reflective tape, cut to 1/2 inch wide x 2" wide strips around every segment of my hiking poles. This creates a four-band reflective strip on each hiking pole. It also marks my poles distinctively, differentiating them from other pilgrim's poles.

Marking my poles, both with the contact label and the reflective stripes, is something I do as soon as they are delivered to my home.

FWIW, when walking facing traffic, and if the oncoming vehicles have headlights on, I flick the right pole, from my wrist, in an arc. To the oncoming driver, it looks like a spinning propellor with strips. It ALWAYS gets their attention. Have not been hit yet, and all the oncoming traffic sees me early enough to move over. I can see it.

I hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always INTEND that my poles stay with me. But, one does have "senior moments" each day. Also, I distract easily...

Also, I use 3M reflective tape, cut to 1/2 inch wide x 2" wide strips around every segment of my hiking poles. This creates a four-band reflective strip on each hiking pole. It also marks my poles distinctively, differentiating them from other pilgrim's poles.

Marking my poles, both with the contact label and the reflective stripes, is something I do as soon as they are delivered to my home.

FWIW, when walking facing traffic, and if the oncoming vehicles have headlights on, I flick the right pole, from my wrist, in an arc. To the oncoming driver, it looks like a spinning propellor with strips. It ALWAYS gets their attention. Have not been hit yet, and all the oncoming traffic sees me early enough to move over. I can see it.

I hope this helps.
That is a great idea with the reflective tape I will have to try that. I hope that after your sharing you will not encounter another pair marked up exactly the same. I also encountered folks grabbing the wrong pair, sometimes a more expensive pair from the barrel. So early on my poles stayed with me.
I also have Black Diamond carbons the locking mechanism is a compression clip, yet the tool I regretted not bringing along was my Leatherman for the poles others carried that twist tightened. Yes it was their issue but such a simple problem to correct. Someone has to have a light tool for gripping & turning those poles?

This is for a fellow pilgrim - Katie Stone, who stayed in SAN Juan de Ortago Albergue/monastery who last night. Someone much taller took her black diamond Poles by accident this morning and left her theirs -120 cm. Too high for her! She will be at the albergue municipal tonight in Burgos if you want to exchange.
Well usually there is that persons who took your poles to use until it rectified itself. I left mine at a hostel virgin of Guadeloupe the hospiterlaro was a crazy man I think he heard the buzzer but wouldn’t come down to I could see them but could not reach them. Turns out it all worked out because I liked walking without them but I sure needed them the first two weeks! Camino provides and also takes

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is a great idea with the reflective tape I will have to try that. I hope that after your sharing you will not encounter another pair marked up exactly the same. I also encountered folks grabbing the wrong pair, sometimes a more expensive pair from the barrel. So early on my poles stayed with me.
I also have Black Diamond carbons the locking mechanism is a compression clip, yet the tool I regretted not bringing along was my Leatherman for the poles others carried that twist tightened. Yes it was their issue but such a simple problem to correct. Someone has to have a light tool for gripping & turning those poles?

I carry a Leatherman Style PS2. That's it. In the beginning, I carried a full-out Swiss Army knife. Then I found the Style PS2. Once I weighed both, and considered which tools I actually used, there was no other choice.

Now, if making the same choice again...or the next time, I might consider the slightly larger Leatherman "Juice S2." It does have a knife blade, so must be in checked luggage flying to and from. But it has all the tools you need, and none that you do not need.

Remember, corkscrews are ubiquitous...everyone has one...just ask. A bottle opener is far more important as most European beer bottles are not screw-top. In my experience, I used the tiny scissor daily, then the small pliers. This represents the most utility to me at the lowest overall weight.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The grammarian in me just had to giggle at the use of capitalization here. I was picturing a kidnapping...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

For this reason I always pack my inside my backpack before arriving at the albergue I refuse to leave my poles at the door, I don’t like leaving my boots at the door either

Zzotte

For this reason I always pack my inside my backpack before arriving at the albergue I refuse to leave my poles at the door, I don’t like leaving my boots at the door either

Zzotte
I found it interesting fewer people left these items at the door the farther along we got.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I hope this helps.
Also used the reflective tape idea which I put on my rucksack as well. My poles are what some may call cheap from Lidl. Used on three caminos and recently replaced with same make. Great poles, distinctively marked and no one else wants them :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back