• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diet, old sneakers, sleeping under the stars, and procrastination

Shawnasong

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
The day that I bought my ticket in early July, was the day I said I would start walking/training every day. I said I would stretch daily too, by way of some downward dogs and cobras. So, I've walked a little. I've stretched once. Turns out my training focus has been dietary. I have successfully detoxed from ALL baddies, which has taken a ton of focus and dedication. I feel fantastic and am losing weight. I am concerned at how lazy I feel, though, when it comes to putting on my shoes and walking. I just keep thinking that I know I will be able to do it. But perhaps I'm in for a rude awakening. I am a seasoned backpacker from yesteryear, but it's been a while, shall we say.

I decided to walk in my old sneakers. The soles are good. I bought super feet insoles. Every shoe/boot I tried made the lateral forward part of my right foot go numb. I also have keens.

I am bringing a sleeping bag with the idea that I can sleep outside if I feel like it. I haven't read much on the topic here. Again, am I kidding myself?

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, I just sort of realized that I am leaving in a month. I figured it's time to connect with you and see if anyone says someone to me that inspires. You never know. I am beyond excited, but also just living daily life as a mother of a young son, a companion to an elderly poodle, and a wife of a middle-aged man.

By the way, I have two months to do this, with the intention to complete in six weeks or less. Oh, I do have a question, I keep seeing reference to making a reservation in Orrison. Is this necessary, or can I just show up?

Muchas gracias por su ayuda y informaccion! Buen Camino.
Shawna

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i loved orrisson...it was a blessing on the first day to get your bearings and a little rest rather than doing the hardest day of all in one swing

All depends if Orison is booked up or if someone continues on to Roncevalles like I did & donated my bed. It will be a chance if you don't book ahead. From your training I recommend you book it. For no other reason you don't know what the weather will be the day you start out. Could be a heatwave..

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Okay, great input. I will book it. Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but how do I go about doing that?

Can you do the Camino without a bunch of walking in advance? Little or no stretching? Used sneakers? I'm pretty sure you can, in fact if memory serves there was a large group that went through the entire Camino so time back wearing only leather sandals (even the kind without Vibram soles!), a woolen overcoat and a floppy felt hat. They didn't specifically prepare and often slept under the stars and they made out pretty well too...!

You've got a great amount of time so you'll never need to rush or push beyond the body's limit. If you're sore, you'll stretch if not, you'll just enjoy the day as is. It's a great part of modern life to live the Camino on your own terms and it sounds like that's exactly what you're going to do! Buen Camino!!

Okay, great input. I will book it. Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but how do I go about doing that?

Here is the English web for the Refuge Orisson which includes booking info.
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/

Since Orisson is a very popular stop do try to book ASAP!

Good luck and Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Never mind the ttaining or Orisson. Just show up, with intent of some sort, and walk on to Roncesvalles. You look like a spring chicken to me on your photo; don't sel, yourself short on day 1 just because you read other do thismand that.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome to the Forum aka our Virtual Albergue!

I have successfully detoxed from ALL baddies, which has taken a ton of focus and dedication. I feel fantastic and am losing weight. I am concerned at how lazy I feel, though, when it comes to putting on my shoes and walking. I just keep thinking that I know I will be able to do it. But perhaps I'm in for a rude awakening. I am a seasoned backpacker from yesteryear, but it's been a while, shall we say.

Wow! How's that for focus and dedication! Your knees will thank you over and over for every ounce of weight that they will save on on the way up to Orisson and beyond... and, as a seasoned backpacker, there's something called muscle memory - your body may be a bit rusty but it will remember once you start walking. Just start slow and steady and ease back into it.

I decided to walk in my old sneakers. The soles are good. I bought super feet insoles. Every shoe/boot I tried made the lateral forward part of my right foot go numb. I also have keens.

Whatever works for you is best. Insoles are a good idea too. Upside with sneakers is that you can wear them around the house to get used to them. Keens work for many people but you'll need to try them on some longer walks yourself before deciding. If they work for you and you're OK with pack weight, you can bring the sneakers as your second/evening shoes and as alternate footwear.

Why am I telling you all of this? Well, I just sort of realized that I am leaving in a month. I figured it's time to connect with you and see if anyone says someone to me that inspires. You never know. I am beyond excited, but also just living daily life as a mother of a young son, a companion to an elderly poodle, and a wife of a middle-aged man.

As a seasoned hiker, I never cease to be amazed by the many pilgrims who just turn up for this long walk, often as first time hikers. You're your own inspiration already! The Camino is also a wonderful opportunity to get to know the you beyond the labels of mother, companion and wife. Now, that's a journey!

By the way, I have two months to do this, with the intention to complete in six weeks or less. Oh, I do have a question, I keep seeing reference to making a reservation in Orrison. Is this necessary, or can I just show up?

Two months will give you the time to stop and enjoy the sights along the Way. As others have said, booking ASAP at Orisson is recommended. If they are full there are other options including taking a taxi back to SJPdP for the night and then to Orisson to resume your walk. Roncevalles in a day is very doable but starting slow is best.

I'm so excited for you. Enjoy every moment!

Go Well and Buen, Buen Camino!

Yay! I love all of your thoughts, ideas, opinions. Thank you! Today, I am getting my pack organized. It's slightly bigger than I want because it must be checked, but I live in the jungle in Costa Rica, and it's really not easy if even possible to buy gear. Well, I'm sure it's possible in the city, but for a HUGE price. I have an excellent Arcteryx pack that fits like a glove. I am bringing extra shoes that I am willing to part with along the way if necessary.

Oh boy, we are going to have so much fun, aren't we?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, this is not meant as medical advice but be careful about losing to much weight. It worth starting of with a bit of extra body fat as a reserve as you will most likely need.

I don't understand that reasoning ...
Buen Camino, SY
I was thinking that it would be nice to carry on my backpack on the airplane, instead of checking it, but I think it is too big for the airline requirements. That was all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the input. I've got loads and loads of body fat to spare.

Makes two of us. Being serious its one less thing to worry about. If your intake of calories is insufficient then you will burn off your body fat. If can be common for long distance walkers to struggle to eat enough to prevent weight loss.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I've got loads and loads of body fat to spare.
You crack me up cobber!
I thought to diet and thereby lose about 5 kilos before I started. That'd get me to a good weight and bypass a lot of that horrible monotonous 'getting fit' walking and exercising.
Worked like a charm.
Well except for me losing another 4 kilos along the way. I was skeletal by the time Santiago arrived.
Regards
Gerard

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey Shawna, I wouldn't worry too much about the training... I just got back from doing 1500 miles on the Appalachian trail, my training was walking around a park in Florida where the biggest climb was into my Jeep. I started slow doing 13 miles a day and went up from there with no initial problems, my thing was slow and steady and your shoes should be fine as long as they are comfortable... one thing I did from the beginning was to wear sock liners under my Darn Tough socks, these were Injinji toesies and never had problems with blisters till it rained 19 days on my hike.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back