• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difference Between Altras

JulesCAinMA

Time of past OR future Camino
04.16.23: Camino Frances, Pamplona - Leon!
I will be walking 1/3 (middle section) of the Camino in May 2023 (my 1st time out) and will be 65 at the time of the walk. I have some minor knee and sometimes sciatica issues, therefore, I'm trying to find my Holy Grail shoes now, so that I can make sure I've found "the pair/s" and get some good walking/breaking in time before the WALK. I really like the Altra Lone Peak 6, I haven't worn heels since I retired 2 years ago and I'm usually barefoot in the house, so the 0-drop isn't too big of an adjustment. What bothers me is the discomfort I experience on the bottom of my heel. There has been mention of the Altra Olympus and the Altra Timp, so I'm hoping folks can share the differences between the 2 styles. TIA and Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I feel like I'm Altra's cinderella as I have several pair of different types.

Here's how I'm using them:
Lone Peak: wide shoe, not a lot of cushion, great for not too long trail runs on rolling paths
Timp: similar as LP, but slightly more cushioning and a bit stiffer. perfect for walking on anything really. did the CP in them
Olympus: more cushioning, also wider base and rugged sole, and vibram sole. use this for running in rugged terrain, wet, rocky.
Torin: my go to road running shoe with a lot of cushioning also general daily use
Provision: also road running

The thing to remember is for their trail running selection (the first three), they were made for off road walking, and they wear faster when on roads than others made for road use. I guess it depends on which camino you're planning. I guess you're talking about the Frances? Don't know how much roadwalking is involved in that one. For a mixed terrain walking camino my choice would be a Timp, if it was for mostly road walking (80%) I would go for the Torin as it's super comfy.

Other zero drop or low drop shoes are Hoka and Merrell.

It's only my experience in a sea of others! You've got time to test.

Buen camino,
Belle journée

Have walked multiple Caminos in multiple Altras, so here’s my experience: Timps work great for any conditions, Lone Peak for non-rocky ways. On the WHW right now and the sparse cushioning of the Lone Peak is really making my heels sore - first time in five years on only wearing Altras! Wore the Lone Peaks before in France and Spain without issue. In short, for the CF you can’t go wrong with either, but go Timp if you need that extra cushion

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have walked my last 3 Caminos in Altra Lone Peaks and have been very happy with them. I do replace the inserts with gel inserts for a bit more cushioning. (Please note that I always use walking sticks to take some of the weight off my knees and feet.) Currently experimenting with a pair of Altra Olympus. They have a lot of cushioning and I am still unsure about the extra height. I will most likely revert to Lone Peaks for my planned CF in 2023. Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️

I have worn all three of the Altra models you have asked about. I am currently walking the Via Postumia in the new Olympus waterproof shoes. I think they have more cushion in the heel and don’t feel at all unstable. I am a physical therapist and had my hip replaced 6 months ago so had to be very discerning about my choice. A nice water resistant pair I liked were the Oboz Bozeman but the Altra won out on cushioning and weight.

I am wearing Olympus 4 and my friend picked up a pair in Leon! They are the best! Wide toe box, but most importantly the vibram sole makes them head and shoulders better than other Altras! Try a pair from REI so if you don’t like them you can take them back. We get into Santiago the day after tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am wearing Olympus 4 and my friend picked up a pair in Leon! They are the best! Wide toe box, but most importantly the vibram sole makes them head and shoulders better than other Altras! Try a pair from REI so if you don’t like them you can take them back. We get into Santiago the day after tomorrow.
So excited for you!!! In regards to REI, yes, I did find out that as a Co-op member, I can take a shoe back up to a year even if worn! (of course in cleaned up condition). That's nice because then I can try them out in real walking/hiking conditions!

There are two versions of the Lone Peak; besides the standard LP, there’s a sturdier version called the all-weather mid, that is supposed to be water resistant. It has a sturdier sole and more ankle support. I tried and returned the regular LP at REI. I loved the wide toe box, the 0 drop and cushioning. But it didn’t provide adequate sole protection or ankle support for my messed-up feet on really long hikes. The LP mids have all the benefits of the regular, but just enough sturdiness for longer hikes. I had to order the LP mid from Altra, as it wasn’t in any shoe store. I kept the regular LPs for street walking, the treadmill at the gym and Pickleball. I use the mids for hiking.

I will be walking 1/3 (middle section) of the Camino in May 2023 (my 1st time out) and will be 65 at the time of the walk. I have some minor knee and sometimes sciatica issues, therefore, I'm trying to find my Holy Grail shoes now, so that I can make sure I've found "the pair/s" and get some good walking/breaking in time before the WALK. I really like the Altra Lone Peak 6, I haven't worn heels since I retired 2 years ago and I'm usually barefoot in the house, so the 0-drop isn't too big of an adjustment. What bothers me is the discomfort I experience on the bottom of my heel. There has been mention of the Altra Olympus and the Altra Timp, so I'm hoping folks can share the differences between the 2 styles. TIA and Buen Camino!
Just walked the Camino Portugues' in the Altra Olympus and it was so comfortable. No issues and the tread on the bottom still is in great shape, also.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I trained with Lone Peaks with no issue. Got the Altra Olympus and wore them on this Camino. I didn’t realize this, but They have a narrow heel, which didn’t bother me until I wore my pack for 18 kms. Blisters on the outside of both feet, exact location. Big blisters!
Without the weight and distance: perfect, but no way otherwise. I had to hike from Fromista to Carrion in sandals (stopping to empty gravel from my shoes). I took a bus into Leon and went to Decathlon.
I purchased a pair of Solomon’s off the return rack (broken in?). I just finished the San Salvador wearing them.
I was told by a pilgrim in Fromista, who works for REI, that Altras have different widths and the Olympus was NOT the shoe for me. He suggested getting another shoe. I did wear the Soloman’s around the store for an hour, doing lunges and climbing on equipment to feel them out (crazy Americans). They worked great. They were 1.5 size bigger. Be cautious and train with weight.

Both my husband and I did the Camino in April and May of this year in the Altra Olympus. We are both long time users of Lone Peak for our usual weekend hikes of +/- 10 miles often on lovely pine needle cushioned paths,but as we started to train for the Camino and added some road walking, we decided adding cushioning was going to make our legs happier for the repetitive day after day +/- 15 miles we planned to average and the mixed Camino terrain. We LOVED our shoes and consider them one of our Camino smart choices in hindsight. We mostly stayed at 15 miles for our sweet spot though did several 20+. Along with our cushioned Darn Tough and SmartWool socks, we remained blister free except one minor one on my pinky toe I weirdly got the very last week. The Altra toe box really saved us from what we were seeing on the painful feet around us. We both wore 1 size up from daily shoe sizes, as per our usual hiking shoes, and also played around with alternative lacings during the Camino based on what we were facing for the day.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.