• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Differences between the Frances and the Portugues?

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
Time of past OR future Camino
C.F. 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021
C.P. 2022
So I’ve walked the Frances on 4 different occasions, mostly in March. This year I’m going to try the Portuguese coastal in late May. I’ve become comfortable on the Frances, speak enough Spanish to get by, know how the alberques work, understand the “rules of the road” so to speak. I’m curious about the differences between walking in Spain and walking in Portugal. I would really appreciate it if those of you who have walked both could compare and contrast the two. Any advice or tips appreciated.

frm

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you would like the answer in podcast form, we discussed this topic in episode 1.2 of the Spirit of the Camino podcast.

In this episode, Nick and Wendy talk about how walking a camino in Portugal is different from walking in Spain. In particular, they discuss Portuguese identity, the cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia, and some practical aspects of being on camino in Portugal. Bom caminho!

You don’t get the “camino vibe” so much on the Portugués, but you DO get the warm, friendly, lovely, wonderful Portuguese people. Bom caminho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
jsalt said
You don’t get the “camino vibe” so much on the Portugués, but you DO get the warm, friendly, lovely, wonderful Portuguese people. Bom caminho!

Not walked the Frances so can't comment on the vibe!

But on the Portugués, you DO get the warm, friendly, lovely, wonderful Portuguese people!
I one hundred percent agree with this; in all the places i have ever been in my life i have never met such kind, friendly and generous people the help they gave me went beyond my expectations. I hope you will love Portugal and the people to.

Woody

I once stopped by an old farm house a few days north of Porto and asked the (old) man if there was a place I could buy a cold beer. He brought me one, and I almost had to twist his arm to make him accept 1 Euro for it.

Afterwards he showed me where and how he produced his own white wine, and gave me a solid sample of the product. I was firmly rejected when I tried to pay for it. We sat in chairs outside in the sun and chatted for an hour.

Lovely people, the Portugese.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've walked the Portugues and the Frances. I too found less of a Camino vibe (so to speak) on the Portugues, but it was still very nice to walk. The albergues I found to be no different than the ones on the Frances. Mind you, that was all pre-covid days, so no telling how much it has changed in the last two years.

I did not walk the Francés but visited a lot of camino places on the Francés (SJPDP Pamplona Burgos Leon Sahagún and drove through the “campo” in between places as I did on the North and the via de la Plata) . But walked the Portugūes several times .
if you speak enough Castillano (Spanish they speak in latin America) they will understand you in Portugal too. But in general the youth in Portugal will speak english and lots of elderly people speak French.
That said , God gracious , Spain is not Portugal. Let Portugal stay Portugal as it is. Beautiful warm and kind people, very helpfull .Nothing wrong with the Spaniards although what is a Spaniard. People from e.g. Castillia and Leon have different temperament and way of living as people from Andalucia or Asturias And not to speak about Catalunya where I used to work.
Galegos, people from Galicia are totaly different andhave more in common with thePortuguese. Even the languages are in common.

so I should say let Portugal overcome to you and enjoy the people as they are and the country as it is. And do not compare both countries. In Dutch ,my native language ,they say “ you compare apples with pears” both in there own way taste good.

Being in your country I experienced also differences when I was in NYC, Miami ,LA , SF , Las Vegas New Orleans or in TN . I loved every place I have been but found them all different.
my favorite town by the way was and still is Nashville TN. Have been there some times .
Hee haw !

Bom caminho

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My only real issue with the Portugal Camino is….it just wasn’t long enough. I enjoyed that long, slow lingering March you can get on the France, getting out of the normal everyday and into your head .
However, lots of positives….Pasteis de Nata comes to mind, so much tasty tarts(literally drooling right now…) grilled sardines, fantastic people.
And don’t forget the lovely port houses found in Porto!

My only real issue with the Portugal Camino is….it just wasn’t long enough. I enjoyed that long, slow lingering March you can get on the France, getting out of the normal everyday and into your head .
However, lots of positives….Pasteis de Nata comes to mind, so much tasty tarts(literally drooling right now…) grilled sardines, fantastic people.

Now I really need a shot of port and a custard tart….

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Start in Sagrès next time or in Faro in the far south west or the south east of Portugal.and you are longer on the March than on the Francès so more pasteís de nata, bacalhau dishes , sardinhas grilladas and so on. And drink a (little ) drop of the national drink Aguardente. It gives you wings .🤭😊

So I’ve walked the Frances on 4 different occasions, mostly in March. This year I’m going to try the Portuguese coastal in late May. I’ve become comfortable on the Frances, speak enough Spanish to get by, know how the alberques work, understand the “rules of the road” so to speak. I’m curious about the differences between walking in Spain and walking in Portugal. I would really appreciate it if those of you who have walked both could compare and contrast the two. Any advice or tips appreciated.

frm
I've walked both. First Frances and then the Costal. I loved Spain, but the people of Portugal were much more friendly. However, they do not speak much Spanish. The Costal is about 80 percent on boardwalk, an amazing structure and was well maintained in 2017. The Portugal route (from Lisbon) was less expensive for food and accommodation.

Loved the CP, but it seemed to be missing the historical narrative of the villages of the CF. Felt more like a beautiful foreign walk than a religious pilgrimage. For many pilgrims, their exposure to the Portuguese culture is pretty limited since they start in Tui/Valenca or even Porto and spend more time in Spain than in Portugal.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

If you are into long slow lingering days I would highly recommend the really long and slow lingering days on the VDLP. One of these days I am thinking of doing the CP but starting in or near Faro and going all the way up.

But on the Portugués, you DO get the warm, friendly, lovely, wonderful Portuguese people!
I one hundred percent agree with this; in all the places i have ever been in my life i have never met such kind, friendly and generous people the help they gave me went beyond my expectations. I hope you will love Portugal and the people to.
once stopped by an old farm house a few days north of Porto and asked the (old) man if there was a place I could buy a cold beer. He brought me one, and I almost had to twist his arm to make him accept 1 Euro for it.

Afterwards he showed me where and how he produced his own white wine, and gave me a solid sample of the product. I was firmly rejected when I tried to pay for it. We sat in chairs outside in the sun and chatted for an hour.

I think you are getting the point about the Portugues people. Without a doubt I believe they are the best anywhere. Also many more people speak English in Portugal than Spain. I speak decent Spanish but don't understand a word of Spanish when the Portugues people speak it. I never had any problems.
I have a different opinion about the "camino vibe" point. I think there is a camino vibe on all caminos but they are obviously all different. I think it is pretty obvious that there is a strong or may I dare say an in your face camino vibe on the CF. Of course there would be given the number of pilgrims, especially first time pilgrims and the incredible infrastructure and support there is on the CF. Take the camino from Le Puy which is so French and so quiet and so much more of a language barrier for any non speaking French person. Also people tend to walk only a few weeks, people are older and they walk only with their own friends or groups that they came on the camino with. Or you could walk on the VDLP where outside the generosity and or kindness of albergue owners and hospitaleros if you do not create your own camino vibe you probably will not find a "vibe".
Each camino is different, each vibe is different and each experience even on the same camino is different. No better no worse. Just what I think.

frm
Besides the language the Frances is about 80% natural and 20% streets and cobblestones the Portugese is the opposite Food and drink are wonderful

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What exactly is the Camino "vibe" of the Frances? Is it the fact that it is like a traveling circus with the crowds? Is there more of a mix of nationalities than on the Portugues? Do they say "Buen Camino" in Portuguese or not say anything at all? Do you not wind up running into people weeks after you last encountered them?
As I stated above, the Frances was like a traveling circus and the vibe seemed to be created by the characters I encountered. It is interesting that the comments above referred to the Portuguese people being very nice, but the ones about the locals in Spain seem to be moe oriented to the differences between the regional personalities.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone for your help, advice, and opinions. I look forward to meeting the Portuguese locals and the food. A little concerned about the lack of included wine at dinner…….

Thanks again,
Frm

It is interesting that the comments above referred to the Portuguese people being very nice, but the ones about the locals in Spain seem to be moe oriented to the differences between the regional personalities.
Perhaps it may be bc more Portuguese speak English? I find Spanish people to be very friendly and forthcoming, but it may have to do with, that after many Caminos, + some time at a Spanish language school, I can speak enough Spanish to talk with them, ask questions, reserve a bed on the phone, etc.. It is amazing how friendly and forthcoming they are when we can talk a little together!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I once stopped by an old farm house a few days north of Porto and asked the (old) man if there was a place I could buy a cold beer. He brought me one, and I almost had to twist his arm to make him accept 1 Euro for it.

What a fantastic experience!

Now I really need a shot of port and a custard tart….
I see you are from Alberta and I happen to be in Edmonton this week. My last stop on Saturday morning as I leave town on the way home to BC will be at one of the Portuguese bakeries on the north side! Six of these tarts are required to enter the house when I get home. 😆

Thanks everyone for your help, advice, and opinions. I look forward to meeting the Portuguese locals and the food. A little concerned about the lack of included wine at dinner…….

Thanks again,
Frm
If you order the menu de dia, you will always get the choice of wine (or beer) as part of the included price of 7.5 to 9 euros, or so. And the wine is generally pretty good!

frm
The major difference is that 82% of the walk in Portugal is pavement. The cobblestones, especially, do a number on the feet, knees, and hips. The boardwalk along the coast is a great respite from the pavement, however.

I've experienced 3 CF's from SJdP & 2 X Portuguese caminos from Porto then Lisbon. I have loved all my pilgrimages.
I always talk about my Fatima experience to Portuguese people as that is the Camino the Portuguese pilgrims love to do.
Difference 2 on the Portuguese there is so much cobblestone walking. A lost art but so hard on my feet.
One of my favourite albergues is hosted by Fernando & Jacinto at Casa Fernanda at the town of Lugar do Corgi. How refreshing for the soul. (Between Barcelona & Ponte de Lima)(914589521)
The Spiritual Variant would be on my next wish list. Love

I've experienced 3 CF's from SJdP & 2 X Portuguese caminos from Porto then Lisbon. I have loved all my pilgrimages.
I always talk about my Fatima experience to Portuguese people as that is the Camino the Portuguese pilgrims love to do.
Difference 2 on the Portuguese there is so much cobblestone walking. A lost art but so hard on my feet.
One of my favourite albergues is hosted by Fernando & Jacinto at Casa Fernanda at the town of Lugar do Corgi. How refreshing for the soul. (Between Barcelona & Ponte de Lima)(914589521)
The Spiritual Variant would be on my next wish list. Love
A correction : Lugar do Corgo does not exist.anyway not as a town .

casa da Fernanda is situated in the village of Vitorino dos Piães . Indeed between Barcelos ( 18 kms) and Ponte de Lima (14 kms) Not Barcelona that is 1200 kms away from Barcelos. Then you are on the wrong camino ( camino Catalán )

Lugar do Corgo is the name of their house as my house is called Seaview.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I see you are from Alberta and I happen to be in Edmonton this week. My last stop on Saturday morning as I leave town on the way home to BC will be at one of the Portuguese bakeries on the north side! Six of these tarts are required to enter the house when I get home. 😆
I know that bakery. But I actually have a good recipe, and can make my own now!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walked Portuguese last fall, started in Lisbon Sept 13. Did not see a person in first 7 days. Meet 2 pilgrims only in Rabacal

Hi FRM! Loved Portugal and I plan to walk the Coastal again this year with a friend (actually hoping to walk much more than the coastal, but am having a hard time with decision-making today lol). Forgive me if I missed a detail or two in this thread, but I'd like to add a few comments. First, there is the coastal route and the senda litoral. I've been on the SL and it's wonderful because it's several days of expansive ocean views at the edge of the beaches in Portugal. It's often on sidewalks or boardwalks with gorgeous ocean breezes. I didn't experience the churches or a lot of historical cultural immersion as I felt on the CF but the Portuguese are truly welcoming. Halfway in, you'll enter Spain and you'll notice the 'vibe' change. Part of that reason is the number of pilgrims will increase due to several routes converging, and secondarily is due in part to being in Spain. One is not better than the other, but the familiarity of Spain and that camino 'vibe' was a welcome feeling. I will agree that the two weeks walk is very short and just as I was really getting into the camino mindset, my journey was ending. Finally, the Camino Espiritual variant is highly recommended. Bom Caminho!!

Hi FRM! Loved Portugal and I plan to walk the Coastal again this year with a friend (actually hoping to walk much more than the coastal, but am having a hard time with decision-making today lol). Forgive me if I missed a detail or two in this thread, but I'd like to add a few comments. First, there is the coastal route and the senda litoral. I've been on the SL and it's wonderful because it's several days of expansive ocean views at the edge of the beaches in Portugal. It's often on sidewalks or boardwalks with gorgeous ocean breezes. I didn't experience the churches or a lot of historical cultural immersion as I felt on the CF but the Portuguese are truly welcoming. Halfway in, you'll enter Spain and you'll notice the 'vibe' change. Part of that reason is the number of pilgrims will increase due to several routes converging, and secondarily is due in part to being in Spain. One is not better than the other, but the familiarity of Spain and that camino 'vibe' was a welcome feeling. I will agree that the two weeks walk is very short and just as I was really getting into the camino mindset, my journey was ending. Finally, the Camino Espiritual variant is highly recommended. Bom Caminho!!
You mentioned that you walked for two weeks....does this include the Espiritual variant? And did you begin from Porto and go up the coast, or did you take the central path? I am waling the CP for the first time in June and am trying to count my days to see if I will have time to go on to Finisterre. It is a shorter walk than I have done on the CF and I would like to extend it. I was thinking that going to Finisterre would add up to about 15-17 days. ?? I'm trying to get input from others who have been on the path.
Thanks!!
Lynne

Loved the CP, but it seemed to be missing the historical narrative of the villages of the CF. Felt more like a beautiful foreign walk than a religious pilgrimage. For many pilgrims, their exposure to the Portuguese culture is pretty limited since they start in Tui/Valenca or even Porto and spend more time in Spain than in Portugal.
Did you take the coastal or the central path? I have read that the central path has a richer Camino history, which I am always looking for.

For me, it is also a religious/spiritual experience so I will be looking for churches. However, much of this is something we can carry in our hearts- church or no church.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back