• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Different Footwear Makes

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
When I walked the CF last year I wore a pair of Merrell shoes, the camino took their toll on these and because they wore done on the heel had to be replaced when I got home. Off I went to the hiking shop with a fist full of cash to get replacements.
At this stage I have to say that I prefer shoes to boot, but I ended up with a pair of Keen boots, I'm glad I did because it can get quite muddy down here on the coast.
With the summer fast approaching, off I went yesterday to get myself some walking shoes. Now I thought that having used Merrell and Keen I'd end up with something similar from these makes, but no, I ended up getting fitted with a pair of Meindl shoes (and nice they are too).
I guess if I keep walking I'll end up going through all the makers before I'm 75.

Anybody else experience frequent changes in style and maker?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Waka. No is the short answer. I have worn the same set of boots for over 10 years and just get them resoled when needed which, I must admit, costs more than a new set of boots these days. They have never caused me any problems. The longer I use them the better they feel.

But I guess it's what ever works for you is the best thing to do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been recommended these for my first Camino.
'Paddy Pallin Outlet store. Shoes are called Ultra Fastpack by The North Face.'
About to purchase so i can wear them in over the next two weeks so any thoughts much appreciated.

I've been recommended these for my first Camino.
'Paddy Pallin Outlet store. Shoes are called Ultra Fastpack by The North Face.'
About to purchase so i can wear them in over the next two weeks so any thoughts much appreciated.
I don't know why they, in particular, were "recommended" to you. Everyone's feet are different and you should try on a variety of models. With only 2 weeks to go, it is essential that you get something that is perfectly comfortable out of the box. Don't worry about high or low, waterproof or not. Just get comfort, and be sure they are roomy enough for sock combinations. Check that your store will allow returns and take one or 2 pairs you are deciding between to an indoor mall to walk briskly for an hour to compare. Then experiment with different socks, perhaps taking several different types with you to Spain so you can continue testing them out on the Camino.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Forgot to say that I did try on several pairs of shoes before I went for he meindl, so it wasn't a case of walking in blind. It just appear's that there is always something out there, not just the ones you're used to.
Did an 8 mile walk on the flat today and they felt perfect, I know this is not a representation of the camino with a fully loaded back pack, but hey it's a start.

Think that I've been through almost every brand that makes a wide shoe. My feet keep evolving so unfortunately boots that have served me well no longer work and also I find that I need different footwear for different situations.

@Waka I walked my Camino last year in a pair of Meindl boots (see my profile pic). They were heavier than most but I prefer boots and they served me well. Not a blister the entire Way and I now know that they acted effectively as a moon boot for my (at the time undiagnosed and unknown) fracture.

I'm afraid that I'm going to go through several brands and lots of $$$ before I even start the Camino! I have been wearing a pair of New Balance trail running shoes for about a month, but I was recently enticed by a pair of Hokas at REI. Fortunately, as an REI member I can take advantage of their one year warranty, even if I have worn them.

€83,-
I was not a walker before my first Camino in 2013 and I wore Trail shoes, the second wore NB Leadville with vibram soles in 2014 still wearing them today but for my next trip in Sept. I am wearing the latest leadville shoes by NB, touch wood I have never had a blister or hot spot and best of all these dry out very quickly. They are also come in wide fittings unlike most shoes or boots, this is what I found that most people shoes or boots were to narrow especially when their feet swelled with the walk.

German trekkers usually swear by Wolfskin. I tried them (I bought my equipment in Berlin, they have many chain stores), and they were excellent. No blisters at all.

I've used Vasque boots for both the Frances and the Le Puy and the wear is so good that I am planning on using it again for the Portugues. On both caminos I only used my running shoes when the route was long (30 km or more) and when the weather was dry (no "barro" (mud)). I am very happy with these shoes although they are heavier than I would like. My wife only uses her running shoes and prefers them because they are light on the feet and for travel. She has not had any problems what-so-ever.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.