A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Different Sarria World

Pablo Campo

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata (2017)
Invierno (2017)
Ingles (2018)
Portuguese (2020)
Frances (2020)
I visited Sarria today to obtain a credencial before I start my next Camino on Sunday. Usually bustling and busy, the place was dead - streets virtually empty, and most accommodation and shops closed. In the two to three hours I was around the camino route and old town at lunchtime I only saw one Pilgrim. I really hope all those Camino businesses manage to survive the Covid shutdown and that it will soon be accessible and safe for Pilgrims to walk again.

4D60E166-A80C-4CF8-9593-7CF552C5008D.jpeg

84B0EC60-8DF9-49FE-A6B7-5F41C2367904.jpeg

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2019 walked all or more than half of CF 7 times... CP recently cancelled by Covid 19!
WOW! Thank you! Hopeall goes well! Stay healthy!

Last edited:

MarkyD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
I visited Sarria today to obtain a credencial before I start my next Camino on Sunday. Usually bustling and busy, the place was dead - streets virtually empty, and most accommodation and shops closed. In the two to three hours I was around the camino route and old town at lunchtime I only saw one Pilgrim. I really hope all those Camino businesses manage to survive the Covid shutdown and that it will soon be accessible and safe for Pilgrims to walk again.

View attachment 77739

View attachment 77740
El Camino is having a breather. The businesses will bounce back, hopefully without too much trouble. Some might inevitably go under, maybe the Camino Associations in Spain could club together in some way to support those that need it.
All we can do is be prepared to pay more next time we are there to try and help compensate them for lost business.
Unfortunately, Spain has a significant tourist sector, the Camino de Santiago being part of that, where many people have come to rely on the steady flow of ever increasing numbers of pilgrims in recent years. At some point something was going to give. This may sound bad, I just don't know how else to put it.
It will recover, hopefully sooner rather than later. It may even improve in certain aspects, for which we will all benefit. I think this year is just going to be different. Me and my wife plan to do at least 10 days on one of the Caminos, probably around end of August. We will splash the cash, as much as we can afford anyway - tipping albergues and bars as much as we are able. I don't know what else we can do to help.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock