• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Different Sarria World

Pablo Campo

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2017)
Invierno (2017)
Ingles (2018)
Portuguese (2020)
Frances (2020)
I visited Sarria today to obtain a credencial before I start my next Camino on Sunday. Usually bustling and busy, the place was dead - streets virtually empty, and most accommodation and shops closed. In the two to three hours I was around the camino route and old town at lunchtime I only saw one Pilgrim. I really hope all those Camino businesses manage to survive the Covid shutdown and that it will soon be accessible and safe for Pilgrims to walk again.

4D60E166-A80C-4CF8-9593-7CF552C5008D.jpeg

84B0EC60-8DF9-49FE-A6B7-5F41C2367904.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I visited Sarria today to obtain a credencial before I start my next Camino on Sunday. Usually bustling and busy, the place was dead - streets virtually empty, and most accommodation and shops closed. In the two to three hours I was around the camino route and old town at lunchtime I only saw one Pilgrim. I really hope all those Camino businesses manage to survive the Covid shutdown and that it will soon be accessible and safe for Pilgrims to walk again.

View attachment 77739

View attachment 77740
El Camino is having a breather. The businesses will bounce back, hopefully without too much trouble. Some might inevitably go under, maybe the Camino Associations in Spain could club together in some way to support those that need it.
All we can do is be prepared to pay more next time we are there to try and help compensate them for lost business.
Unfortunately, Spain has a significant tourist sector, the Camino de Santiago being part of that, where many people have come to rely on the steady flow of ever increasing numbers of pilgrims in recent years. At some point something was going to give. This may sound bad, I just don't know how else to put it.
It will recover, hopefully sooner rather than later. It may even improve in certain aspects, for which we will all benefit. I think this year is just going to be different. Me and my wife plan to do at least 10 days on one of the Caminos, probably around end of August. We will splash the cash, as much as we can afford anyway - tipping albergues and bars as much as we are able. I don't know what else we can do to help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back