• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Different types of accomodations?

jrm

Hello all,

Is there a thread somewhere that details the different types of accommodations? I'm getting a little confused seeing different things like:

albergue
hostel
xunta
pension
municipal
private
etc......

Anywhere I should be looking? I'm not too terribly concerned about it, but just wondering. I figure there must be a resource here that I am missing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Not sure if there is a thread that specifically defines them, but here's a summary:

Albergue: This is a hostel (shared accommodation). Can be private or church / community-run. Generally very low-cost. Free ones are called 'donativo'. Ones run by the community are 'municipal'. Ones run by the regional government are 'xunta'.

Municipal / xunta albergues generally have a fixed price and basic services, though some are quite nice. Private albergues are commercial hostels that tend to have a bit higher standards (though certainly not always). Most (but not all) municipal / xunta albergues are open year-round. Private albergues are often seasonal.

A pension is a 'bed-and-breakfast' type place where you usually get a private room.

Hope the above helps.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
These are my understanding of the differences.

Parochial - run by the church. Often mats on the floor but one of the best experiences in my opinion. Dinner is often served, family style and it is often donativo. Please leave a fair donation - tomorrow's pilgrims depend on today's donation for dinner.

Municipal - run by the town. Usually very inexpensive. Often crowded. Not always as friendly, in my experience. Bunkbeds. Often has a kitchen for you.

Private - Someone owns it and runs it. Usually a bit more spendy (not much) but almost always clean and friendly. I've seen bunkbeds, twin beds, and matrimonial bed.

Hostal - Often privately or family owned. Cheaper than a hotel. Often have a bar or restaurant attached. Often have a kitchen you can use.

Pension - Again, family or privately owned. Cheaper than a hotel. Often quaint. Almost always clean because the owner probably lives there too. Dinner may or may not be served. Think guest house or boarding house. Usually no available kitchen.

Xunta - Hostals run by the government. Cheaper than other albergues. Usually clean, but can be crowded. Often will have a wonderful kitchen but no dishes or pots/pans.

Hello all,

Is there a thread somewhere that details the different types of accommodations? I'm getting a little confused seeing different things like:

albergue
hostel
xunta
pension
municipal
private
etc......

Anywhere I should be looking? I'm not too terribly concerned about it, but just wondering. I figure there must be a resource here that I am missing.

If you get the Miam Miam Do Do [ French] guide to the camino it shows you how many chambers in each facility , how many beds in each chamber , the cost per night and facilities provided.
It is very easy to understand.
You can also look up Mundicamino and get a picture of each albergue etc and what facilities they have and provide.

After 4 days on the way [ Pamplona ] you will by then be well aware of each.

I'm not sure where I found it, but I have an excel spreadsheet of many/most/all(?) accommodations on the camino frances. I can't figure out how to attach it to a post, so if you want me to email it to you, just shoot me a private message with your email address and I'll send it over.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just to add to the confusion :rolleyes::

albergue/refugio/hospital de peregrinos - pilgrims accommodation in a dorm style hostel
hostal - think cheap pension, normally private rooms
xunta - the Galician government that also supports / maintains a lot of albergue/refugio/hospital de peregrinos, fixed price Galicia-wide, currently 6 Euro
pension - same as in English
municipal - albergue/refugio/hospital de peregrinos run by the local town or city
private/ privado - albergue/refugio/hospital de peregrinos in private ownership
donativo - albergue/refugio/hospital de peregrinos run on a voluntary (donation) based model - please give generously to keep this going! The only ones 'profiting' from a donativo are the pilgrims coming after you, nobody else!

Buen Camino y Albergue, SY

Hello all,

albergue
hostel
xunta
pension
municipal
private
etc......

The good news: They all have a bed for you (unless they're full/closed):D
And this at times will be more important for the weary peregrino than the name written on the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where I found it, but I have an excel spreadsheet of many/most/all(?) accommodations on the camino frances. I can't figure out how to attach it to a post, so if you want me to email it to you, just shoot me a private message with your email address and I'll send it over.
Hello David,
Can you let me have a copy of the spreadsheet please?
Kind regards from Ireland.
Terence.

mail@fenderjazz1961.plus.com

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And not to forget the confraternity albergues. Similar to parochial, but run by a national or regional pilgrims association such as the UK based Confraternity of Saint James. These might have stricter rules about whom they allow to stay.

While not an albergue, the other class of private accommodation you will see is casa rural (roughly - farm house).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello David. Would you be able to email your spreadsheet to me please. I am looking for single accommodation.
My email address is allycarlsen@westnet.com.au

Thank you in advance
Ally

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.