• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Different types of hotels...hostels...pensions?

This is the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan for September
HI
Can anyone point me towards advice I know I have read somewhere about the definitions of the types of hostels book or not to book?

sorry!!
I know this is a simple planning thing I just can't find it

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are dormitories and there are private rooms. The dormitories fall into the categories of public (government and parochial), and private. Most public albergues to not accept reservations, pilgrims who are not carrying their backpack, and cyclists with motorized support. Private albergues set their own rules; many follow the public rules. Many do not.

Hostales and hoteles are the main suppliers of private rooms. The distinction between the two has become obscured. At one time, hostales were hoteles without a restaurant. That is no longer a distinction.

Pensiones are like French chambres d'hote, a room in a private home. An increasing number of pensiones are more like hoteles/hostales. Marketing has decided that pension sound more homey than hotel.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also Parochial albergues do not accept bookings

If you are worried about finding a place to sleep -- DON"T. We made reservations in advance only in Roncesvalles because we were certain we would be tired and did not want to knock about. We called ahead to the next town every day and made a reservation. We used Brierley's as a guide. We also made reservations in big cities,l like Leon and Santiago. Albergues varied from a family's converted garage with 4 bunk beds to much larger. We never stayed in the municipal albergues only the private. Albergues are bunk beds with central bathroom facilities. Pensions are private rooms, two beds, with bathroom facilities down the hallway. Hotels are rooms with a private bath. We also used Bookings for Hotels and Pensions. When you get to Carrion de los Condes make a reservation at Espiritu Santo. You will love the experience.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree. All of the Pensions I have stayed at while in Spain, feel like regular hotel rooms. Double bed, TV, closet, en suite bathroom.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back