• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difficulty at Pilgrims Office in Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolet

Time of past OR future Camino
Am walking now (2016)
my 2 daughters and I started the Camino at St. Jean Pied de Port on June 12, 2016. We ran into cold wet weather for the first week and a bit then the blistering heat of the heat wave. There was a point when I wrote this forum to find out about busses but in the end kept on walking. Finally on the 22 July 2016, my girls walked into Santiago with me hobbling on a damaged knee somewhat behind. We were all so upbeat and proud of our accomplishment until we went to the Pilgrims Office to get our Compostela. My one daughter drew a charming young man who was really interested in her journey. The other daughter drew a man who other than pronouncing her name correctly which is a rarity, was totally indifferent just stamped everything and handed her, her scroll. I drew the most miserable and stupid young woman alive I think. Wicket 13.
We were issued our original passports at the registry office in St. Jean Pied de Port, due to the length of our journey and the number of places we stopped we filled those completely so at a church bought new ones. These too were filling up but still had a little room in them. I handed both passports to her but she refused to look at the first one, kept saying "not enough stamps." I tried, both my daughters tried to explain that the second one started in Palais de Rey but all the other stamps were in the other passport. She obviously could not read as she wouldn't even look at the first one. She absolutely refused me the scroll. Finally my daughter was angry enough to say, we are not leaving until you do the right thing and give my mom the scroll she has earned. It took Kari saying this a few times before she relented and filled it out. This left a really bad taste in all of our mouths. A sad ending instead of the joy we expected. She should never be allowed to deal with the public with her lack of reasoning power. Because of this I cannot wait to get out of this town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Of course you are angry and disappointed - that is understandable. I hope that you can put it behind you and not let it be more important that it really is. (I also hope that the person you dealt with is able to learn something from the occasion, and do better in the future, rather than being banned from dealing with the public.:( )

Hey CArolet...
Do not let this event alone impact your overall experience...

The Camino has suffered some "changes" due to its popularity... I personally find this piece of paper irrelevant comparing to all other beautiful things you watch, learn and live during your journey...But I understand all the fuss the compostela generates...

One of the times I arrived in Santiago, I did not even bother going into the queu for my compostela and Just kept walking... This is really personal...

Anyway, what I'm trying ot say is: Leave it behind. Thats one of the lessons the camino can offer us... To leave our frustrations behing and just keep walking.

SdC is kind of a anti-climax for the whole experience anyway. I guess this person at the pilgrims office was tired from receiving so many pilgrims throughout the day ( as a volunteer).

Leave it behind....

Keep walking...
It must be a wonderful thing to accomplish this journey with family members!

Bring that smile that is inside your soul, and just smile for the overall experience... You are going to digest all this in many different ways in the next weeks to come! Enjoy the moment...

Congratulations And Ultreia!!!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry, for once I can't join in the pity feast/stroke the poor pilgrim party, I explain:

The Compostela (which is the correct name for what you call the scroll) is for pilgrims that have done the pilgrimage to the tomb of the apostle in the cathedral for spiritual/religious reasons BUT you only note the physical hardships in your post. It is not about pains, bad weather and blisters, they are a side effect, it is about visiting a holy place no matter the circumstances.

You were proud about your accomplishment, and rightly so, but again, this accomplishment has nothing to do with the pilgrimage or the Compostela.

You write "I drew the most miserable and stupid young woman alive I think. Wicket 13." and you even accuse her of not being able to read ...

And I am speechless, the people in the pilgrims office are, for a large part, volunteers that give/donate their time to serve pilgrims. Are they all perfect saints? Surely not! But describing/ judging them in this manner ...

Did you do this pilgrimage for "the scroll" or something else?

Shaking head, SY

Sorry, for once I can't join in the pity feast/stroke the poor pilgrim party
My post was certainly not intended to be in that category!;) The OP's anger was "understandable" but that doesn't mean it was defensible. Similarly the frustrations of Wicket 13 were probably understandable but not defensible. I hope that both parties (and the rest of us) learn something.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
you don't want to start arguments with anyone, but you certainly made sure you got your side of the story out there on how you feel about certain Pilgrims,
Fair enough :rolleyes:... Even when we dont want to start arguments, if we do expose our own opinions we will most likely cause others to still want to argue about it . Human nature. I understand that and will edit my post for the sake of not moving away from the actual topic :) I sincerely apologize ;)

Ultreya... Even your last story had a hardship and a happy ending..... Ultreya...... Willy/Utah/USA
Thank you for your kindness. Yes over all we had an awesome journey my girls and I. I didn't mention that none of us are young. I am 77 on St. James day, my daughters are 55 & 58. So many people we met in Boredeaux when the French rail strike left us stranded, bonded and over the next month we leap frogged over each other. Many left when the heat wave struck planning on coming back when it was cooler, many others soldiered on to the end.
At lunch the day we were so upset by this persons behaviour, we discussed it ad nauseum. We and another group who witnessed this happening really now believe this girl could not read. Now I feel badly for her as she has probably been hiding her disability for most of her life and we drew attention to it. With some chagrin, I now feel very sorry for her because now she cannot hide it anymore. This doesn't make her behaviour right but does excuse her inability to understand the stamps in her own language. Maybe now she will go for help as we are never too old to learn. Cjt

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We and another group who witnessed this happening really now believe this girl could not read. Now I feel badly for her as she has probably been hiding her disability for most of her life and we drew attention to it. With some chagrin, I now feel very sorry for her because now she cannot hide it anymore. This doesn't make her behaviour right but does excuse her inability to understand the stamps in her own language. Maybe now she will go for help as we are never too old to learn. Cjt
This might be true, but let's not jump to conclusions. Turning anger into pity probably helps you get over the disappointment, but there is still room to reflect on the harshness of your own reaction at the start of this post.

My observation is that the people staffing the Pilgrim's Office in SdC surely should know what is expected of them. Carolet can't be the first pilgrim with 2 stamp books to verify their pilgrimage? Good grief! And I am not comfortable with excusing poor public relations with someone being a volunteer. I do think Carolet deserved better, but the camino does teach us to smile when people disappoint us. Don't let that little event rent any more space in your camino memories.

I think that we should be circumspect about throwing out condemnations of the pilgrim office staff. This may have been a colossal misunderstanding, either linguistically or culturally based. We'll never hear the other side of the story, so the most I will say is that it's too bad that the parties were unable to reach across the divide and try to work it out.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry, for once I can't join in the pity feast/stroke the poor pilgrim party, I explain:

The Compostela (which is the correct name for what you call the scroll) is for pilgrims that have done the pilgrimage to the tomb of the apostle in the cathedral for spiritual/religious reasons BUT you only note the physical hardships in your post. It is not about pains, bad weather and blisters, they are a side effect, it is about visiting a holy place no matter the circumstances.

You were proud about your accomplishment, and rightly so, but again, this accomplishment has nothing to do with the pilgrimage or the Compostela.

You write "I drew the most miserable and stupid young woman alive I think. Wicket 13." and you even accuse her of not being able to read ...

And I am speechless, the people in the pilgrims office are, for a large part, volunteers that give/donate their time to serve pilgrims. Are they all perfect saints? Surely not! But describing/ judging them in this manner ...

Shaking head, SY
Cannot disagree with you more. Many people walk the Camino for many different reasons. There is no requirement to have any religious component. That she was treated in an u acceptable manner is the topic of the thread, not the reasons one walks the Camino. My opinion.

Obviously something went wrong there! However, there is no way that the person behind the desk is iliterate. That's taking things too far.
Excuses? This year has has seen again, a leap forward as far as Pilgrims are concerned. The staff in the office are dealing with a very big work load. That is no excuse for bad behaviour, if that is what happened. It could be possible that the lady behind the counter was maybe not feeing well or perhaps maybe had a horrible personal problem at home. Language plays an important part in personal relationships. What happened? As Laurie writes, we will never know the other side of the story!
As far as cold, wet or boiling hot weather is concerned, well that's part of the Pilgrimage! We've all been there, done that!.

First and foremost let there be peace among all pilgrims. Too often we allow opinions and the emotions tied to those opinions to cause rancor. When someone shares an opinion it is not personal - the individual has just shared their own opinion.

We each know that if we judge another the first thing that should come to our mind is that they are human. Once that is acknowledged there is nothing left to say unless we want to condemn ourselves.

It is terribly unfortunate that Carolet's feelings were hurt. Sometimes there will be misunderstandings between good people. At times it is better to remove ourselves rather than to cause a scene or create bad feelings. Leave and come back another time or ask for assistance from another individual. The thing I try to remember is that I am committed to being a source of peace rather than anything else. That commitment of pilgrims will guide our words and actions.

Carolet, may only the choicest experiences dwell in your memory of your fortunate Camino with your daughters. I know there are many that would have loved to have the opportunity to experience you and your girls have just had. May the joy of the Camino reside in your heart and continue to guide you in your life.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cannot disagree with you more. Many people walk the Camino for many different reasons. There is no requirement to have any religious component. That she was treated in an u acceptable manner is the topic of the thread, not the reasons one walks the Camino. My opinion.

I think you are missing or ignoring the fact that the Pilgrim Office is part of the Cathedral of Santiago and that the Compostella is a document presented to to those who have made a pilgrimage to the remains of St James, according to the document itself. Thus..there is an implied spiritual component to receiving the "scroll".

I think the implication and accusation that the Pilgrim Office staff member is
unable to read ( in two posts) should be a indication that her anger has continued to cloud her rational memory of the incident.

The Cathedral provides the Compostella as a service....there are no requirements to walk the Camino....there are requirements to receive the Compostella.

I have worked in the Pilgrim Office. The staff works very hard and long hours.
They are often faced with angry and demanding Pilgrims.

There is no possibility that any staff member does not know the requirements or that many Pilgrims,every day, use two different credentials. Whatever the misunderstanding was...it was not because the staff person did not recognize two credentials.
There is always a senior person working who is authorized to make any decision on the spot and immediately.

There is much more to this story and as peregrina2000 has posted above we are just hearing one version of it.

Though I do not presume to b e completely conversant with the policies and procedures of the Pilgrims' Office and issuance of Compostela, in this case, it may have been wise to perhaps ask for supervisory help. If a more experienced person had been called to Wicket 13 to aid in a difficulty, I am certain that the outcome would have been helpful to both sides and perhaps been of benefit to the person serving at that time.

So looking forward to starting Sep.1/16.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for your kindness. Yes over all we had an awesome journey my girls and I. I didn't mention that none of us are young. I am 77 on St. James day, my daughters are 55 & 58. So many people we met in Boredeaux when the French rail strike left us stranded, bonded and over the next month we leap frogged over each other. Many left when the heat wave struck planning on coming back when it was cooler, many others soldiered on to the end.
At lunch the day we were so upset by this persons behaviour, we discussed it ad nauseum. We and another group who witnessed this happening really now believe this girl could not read. Now I feel badly for her as she has probably been hiding her disability for most of her life and we drew attention to it. With some chagrin, I now feel very sorry for her because now she cannot hide it anymore. This doesn't make her behaviour right but does excuse her inability to understand the stamps in her own language. Maybe now she will go for help as we are never too old to learn. Cjt

Other members already wrote it more eloquently than I so I just want to add what I am feeling/ thinking..

1. What I always say when these kind of " ethical " posts turn up : A pilgrim asks , a tourist demands ".

2. Feeling a great sadness for that poor girl at the Oficina who clearly is not able to defend herself. Accusing her of not able to read ( which is not a crime really seeing that lots of people on this earth did not have the chance to go to school and learn to read, but that is another story ), I'm pretty sure the Oficina does the screening of their volunteers really well.

3. Thank you to all the Oficina volunteers , some of them also active on this forum , for your brilliant work.

4. When I hear pilgrims talk about " customer service " I get really weary. When I buy a car or a new fridge and something is wrong with it I am happy to receive a good customer service to get it fixed.
When I'm on a pilgrimage I'm thankful for whatever good comes on my way and try to adapt to whatever less good crosses my path.

Last edited:
my 2 daughters and I started the Camino at St. Jean Pied de Port on June 12, 2016. We ran into cold wet weather for the first week and a bit then the blistering heat of the heat wave. There was a point when I wrote this forum to find out about busses but in the end kept on walking. Finally on the 22 July 2016, my girls walked into Santiago with me hobbling on a damaged knee somewhat behind. We were all so upbeat and proud of our accomplishment until we went to the Pilgrims Office to get our Compostela. My one daughter drew a charming young man who was really interested in her journey. The other daughter drew a man who other than pronouncing her name correctly which is a rarity, was totally indifferent just stamped everything and handed her, her scroll. I drew the most miserable and stupid young woman alive I think. Wicket 13.
We were issued our original passports at the registry office in St. Jean Pied de Port, due to the length of our journey and the number of places we stopped we filled those completely so at a church bought new ones. These too were filling up but still had a little room in them. I handed both passports to her but she refused to look at the first one, kept saying "not enough stamps." I tried, both my daughters tried to explain that the second one started in Palais de Rey but all the other stamps were in the other passport. She obviously could not read as she wouldn't even look at the first one. She absolutely refused me the scroll. Finally my daughter was angry enough to say, we are not leaving until you do the right thing and give my mom the scroll she has earned. It took Kari saying this a few times before she relented and filled it out. This left a really bad taste in all of our mouths. A sad ending instead of the joy we expected. She should never be allowed to deal with the public with her lack of reasoning power. Because of this I cannot wait to get out of this town.

Winners have a plan, losers only an excuse !

I if it should concern myself I should write a polite letter to the Pilgrim's Office manager ,explain the situation about your two credentials and add a copy of both and I should ask if they are willing to send the Compostela certificate by post yet.;)
If you still insist in receiving this "aprovement of the acomplishment " of your by the way wonderfull camino experience as I do understand.
I think there are forummembers who know the address of the office .

I must say my Compostelas have some value for me although they just are a piece of paper..
The first time my wife and I showed up at the "wicket.? Can't remember the number , we had two credentials each too but I never experienced any misunderstanding, desinterest or whatever from the person at the other side of the desk.
The last time only the guy in charge did not want to be filmed by my Gopro camera.I could understand that .there was a discussion about privacy on his forum..
Further more I respectfully appreciate the great job the staff of the Pilgrim's office and the volonteers do for the thousands of pilgrims. Chapeau !

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Other members already wrote it more eloquently than I so I just want to add what I am feeling/ thinking..

1. What I always say when these kind of " ethical " posts turn up : A pilgrim asks , a tourist demands ".

2. Feeling a great sadness for that poor girl at the Oficina who clearly is not able to defend herself. Accusing her of not able to read ( which is not a crime really seeing that lots of people on this earth did not have the chance to go to school and learn to read, but that is another story ), I'm pretty sure the Oficina does the screening of their volunteers really well.

3. Thank you to all the Oficina volunteers , some of them also active on this forum , for your brilliant work.

4. When I hear pilgrims take about " customer service " I get really weary. When I buy a car or a new fridge and something is wrong with it I am happy to receive a good customer service to get it fixed.
When I'm on a pilgrimage I'm thankful for whatever good comes on my way and try to adapt to whatever less good crosses my path.

Couldn't have put it better.

Carolet I'm very sorry for your bad experience at the Pilgrim Office especially for your children, but you referred Santiago de Compostela as a "town". I am not a native speaker but I think that Santiago would deserve the title of "city" because is the capital of Galicia and has a cathedral.

Carolet, I'm sorry that you were so disappointed at the completion of your walk (pilgrimage?). Because a friend of mine is on the Camino Portugués at the moment, I've been checking the Pilgrimage Office webpage for the past while. Their statistics show that 1914 pilgrims were given compostelas yesterday 22 July 2016. That is a huge number of people for the office to 'process', even with their spacious new facilities, and presumably many additional temporary staff. It is understandable that, in these circumstances, some pilgrims would be dealt with in less than a professional manner. I'm sorry that you were one of them, but hopefully your irritation will soon fade because of the many positive experiences of your camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A pilgrim asks , a tourist demands

Oooh... my mum taught me that if I can't think of anything nice to say then perhaps I should say nothing at all... so sorry mum! But when I see this quote pop up on the forum I always find it just a little bit patronising or condescending?

I'm sorry @SabineP as I am sure that is not what you meant and I'm sure that you're intentions are 100% kind... but am I the only one? And if so crikey what does that say about me?! :oops::oops::oops:

(I'll get my coat now) :oops::oops::oops:

p.s. I'm with @peregrina2000

Just a thought, but had the OP two stamps on her credencial for every day she travelled from Sarria?

Brilliant deduction! The requirement for a compostela is 2 stamps a day from Sarria. It certainly sounds as though that is what the girl behind the counter was looking for, and said "not enough stamps". According to the rules she had every right to refuse the compostela. I think most volunteers will waive the rule when they can plainly see the pilgrim has walked from St Jean, but if the girl is new, and that is the rule . . . .

Oooh... my mum taught me that if I can't think of anything nice to say then perhaps I should say nothing at all... so sorry mum! But when I see this quote pop up on the forum I always find it just a little bit patronising or condescending?

I'm sorry @SabineP as I am sure that is not what you meant and I'm sure that you're intentions are 100% kind... but am I the only one? And if so crikey what does that say about me?! :oops::oops::oops:

(I'll get my coat now) :oops::oops::oops:

p.s. I'm with @peregrina2000

Well it is a quote that is used regularly on this forum and I will stand by it.
On the Camino I am a pilgrim and do not expect anything.
On a holiday I am a tourist.

the second one started in Palais de Rey but all the other stamps were in the other passport. She obviously could not read as she wouldn't even look at the first one.
What inquiring minds would like to know now: do you have two stamps per day in your pilgrim's passport, starting in Palas de Rei (which I guess is the place you mean) or not?

Brilliant deduction! The requirement for a compostela is 2 stamps a day from Sarria. It certainly sounds as though that is what the girl behind the counter was looking for, and said "not enough stamps". According to the rules she had every right to refuse the compostela. I think most volunteers will waive the rule when they can plainly see the pilgrim has walked from St Jean, but if the girl is new, and that is the rule . . . .
From Sarria with two fully stamped credentials ?

Last edited:
But when I see this quote pop up on the forum I always find it just a little bit patronising or condescending?
A pilgrim is not looking for a transaction. It is one sided. He gets only what he puts into it. If he is lucky enough to get something from someone, he is grateful.

A tourist is looking for a commercial transaction, value for his money. He pays, so he gets to complain if the sauce is not to his liking, and the vendor has to take his abuse.

"The Chapter of this Holy Apostolic and Metropolitan Cathedral of Compostela, custodian of the seal of the Altar of St. James, to all the Faithful and pilgrims who arrive from anywhere on the Orb of the Earth with an attitude of devotion or because of a vow or promise make a pilgrimage to the Tomb of the Apostle, Our Patron Saint and Protector of Spain, recognises before all who observe this document that: …………… has devotedly visited this most sacred temple with Christian sentiment (pietatis causa)."

It is not a commercial transaction, and pietatis causa is a material part of the Compostela.

Albergues now confuse the situation. Some are commercial, some are simply offered (sometimes with a set fee).

Even a tourist needs to distinguish what he is paying for, and what is being given to him. He has not purchased any entitlements in many places.

I cannot imagine Jesus of Nazareth berating a Pilgrim Office clerk. Of course, I could be wrong...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From Sarria with to fully stamped credentials ?

Yes, as far as I understand it, that is the rule. You must have two stamps per day from Sarria; it doesn't matter whether you came from Leon, St Jean or Moscow. Jill

Well it is a quote that is used regularly on this forum and I will stand by it.
On the Camino I am a pilgrim and do not expect anything.
On a holiday I am a tourist.

@SabineP, I was worried that no matter how I wrote my post, it could sound a little mean... I really never wanted you to think that... I was just making the observation about that quote... But not your intent... So I am sorry for any confusion :oops:

For those who know how to read ;), this is what is written above each page in the pilgrim's passport where the stamps must be placed:

Certificación de paso (sellos)
En las casillas deberá figurar el sello de cada localidad (al menos 2 por día) con la fecha, para acreditar su paso.

Just click on the big icon for the Credencial del Peregrino on this very forum page which will lead you to photos of each page. You can make out the text on the top of the pages.

Pure speculation on my part, of course, but if someone presented a passport with not enough stamps per day from say Palas de Rei, there would be no reason whatsoever to look at older stamps. Strictly and rationally speaking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just a thought, but had the OP two stamps on her credencial for every day she travelled from Sarria?
I"d have to agree... it sounds like a misunderstanding of the two stamp rule yet I wonder, why the daughters had no issues!

I"d have to agree... it sounds like a misunderstanding of the two stamp rule yet I wonder, why the daughters had no issues!
Maybe they went to more bars than their mother ... ;).

Seriously, getting a Compostela is not a life or death issue, and there seems to be some leeway in interpreting the rules ...

Last edited:
This isn't necessary for Pilgrims coming from much further away. There are some good threads elsewhere on the forum about rules for stamps: see JohnnyWalker's posts.

Last edited:
I'm a nice person but recently had a verbal "run-in" with my phone carrier. Out of character for me and probably out of character for the Customer Service Dept.
None the less, it happened and in retrospect, for my part I believe, because I had allowed frustration to build rather than listening to my gut months ago.
These things happen among people. We are all flawed. This is why we can be grateful for GRACE. We are grateful when we receive it. Let's also be grateful for opportunities to offer it.
I hope you will have many joyous memories of the Camino and that you find the lesson from the struggles.
Moni

Last edited:
This isn't necessary for Pilgrims coming from much further away.

That may be the practice in the pilgrims office, but it isn't the rule. The pilgrims office clearly states that you need two stamps a day from Sarria. Here is the exact wording:

• You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

No doubt having a rule that isn't rigorously enforced makes for a lot of potential conflicts, but I think the office workers/volunteers try to be fair even if they are not always chatty and engaging. It certainly sounds like the problem described by the OP started when the person behind the desk saw that there weren't two a day from Sarria onwards, and things escalated from there. Just like Moni describes, once these things get out of control you tend to lose your cool and your perspective, and then may wind up feeling very chagrined about the place you wound up. It's much more complicated when two languages are involved. This is a good heads up for all of us -- as we soldier on, on very crowded and hot caminos, there is no shortage of potential short fuses to ruin your day if you let them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Age of pilgrim does not matter. The Camino provides. . . .just saying.

Reading Carolet's post leaves me asking the question, "What might a future Pilgrim take away from this...how might they learn, or how does the post help another?"

(Thanks for the link, Peregrina2000. Other threads on the forum - Johnny Walker, for example, and Mr. Brierly's book don't include this detail or suggest otherwise. As always, it's best to work with the most recent information closest to the source!)

My two cents,

I am sure that Wicket 13 is no different than any other. If that's the one that pops up when it's your turn - GO!!

In the Pilgrim Office area, there are supervisory folks who can help out if there is difficulty. There is also a lovely and peaceful chapel by the last corridor before the office proper - a cool sanctuary for respite from the busy line. I paused there in quiet for a few moments, whilst others held my place in line for me.

I cannot make specific comment about this interaction, as I was neither witness, nor party to it. Who knows what combination of factors, misunderstandings, language differences and other came to affect interaction between Pilgrim and Volunteer. My personal life lesson, of which time on the Way provided many reminders...

Most people are trying to do their best, with what they have.

When sensations, energies and feelings of righteous anger, indignation or upset begin to arise, it is most useful for me to recognize the sensations and hold space between my feelings and my reactions. Choosing my reaction can change so much of the outcome.

Dealing with blisters, harsh weather, painful feet, the vagaries of shared accommodation or difficult interactions were, for me, not questions of "How can I come out on top, in this? How can I 'survive'?" My questions became, "What does this tell me about myself? How do I make the best of things?"

Equanimity takes practice. The Camino provides many opportunities to practice.

Last edited:
After reading the above I feel I must offer my experience when I arrived in Santiago in early May. I had walked on the VDLP starting in Merida and connecting with the Frances in Astorga. During the last 100 km of the 750 km journey I experienced such leg pains that walking was difficult and I arrived in Santiago on crutches without all the necessary stamps. I hobbled down to the pilgrim office on crutches and when I arrived the guard at the gate saw I would not be able to climb the steps so arranged for someone to come down to the office next to the gate to meet me.

I was treated with great compassion and kindness by the person who reviewed my two credentials and listened to my story, including that I had been forced to use a bus for a very short section of the last 100 km. She issued a compostela "for medical reasons" even though I had been unable to fulfill all the requirements in detail. Tears ran down my cheeks as I returned up the hill to give thanks in the Cathedral to my Patron Saint - St James.

This was a very meaningful spiritual journey, not just because of the Compostela but because of the incredible experience of the Camino and the spiritual strength and support it had given me right up to the end.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have been following this thread as I looked for a resident of my apartment to apologize for losing my temper with her earlier this week. I lost my control and blasted at someone. I can easily see why the OP may have done so. Exhaustion and physical pain, as described by the OP, may not be excuses for losing one's temper, but certainly are reasons. Many pilgrims go beyond their physical capacities to finish their pilgrimage. They are exhausted, in pain, maybe confused at the procedures of the Pilgrim's Office and unable to communicate with the assistant. We can speculate as to the details of this particular interaction, but we were not there and cannot understand. Perhaps we cannot even understand why we sometimes give up control and blast off. I suggest that the conclusion of a long and difficult physical effort may explain why such a break can happen, without having to justify it. I regret to say that, as a pilgrim, I am no better person than I am as a tourist, and no worse. I try, and sometimes fail, to be the best I can in all situations. Late yesterday, I ran into the person at whom I had blown up and was finally able to apologize. Thank God. But I cannot guarantee no further loss of control in future. It makes me no less a pilgrim, as I continue to try to walk closer to God.

I have been following this thread as I looked for a resident of my apartment to apologize for losing my temper with her earlier this week. I lost my control and blasted at someone. I can easily see why the OP may have done so. Exhaustion and physical pain, as described by the OP, may not be excuses for losing one's temper, but certainly are reasons. Many pilgrims go beyond their physical capacities to finish their pilgrimage. They are exhausted, in pain, maybe confused at the procedures of the Pilgrim's Office and unable to communicate with the assistant. We can speculate as to the details of this particular interaction, but we were not there and cannot understand. Perhaps we cannot even understand why we sometimes give up control and blast off. I suggest that the conclusion of a long and difficult physical effort may explain why such a break can happen, without having to justify it. I regret to say that, as a pilgrim, I am no better person than I am as a tourist, and no worse. I try, and sometimes fail, to be the best I can in all situations. Late yesterday, I ran into the person at whom I had blown up and was finally able to apologize. Thank God. But I cannot guarantee no further loss of control in future. It makes me no less a pilgrim, as I continue to try to walk closer to God.
So true! And we need to be able to forgive ourselves as well as others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, as far as I understand it, that is the rule. You must have two stamps per day from Sarria; it doesn't matter whether you came from Leon, St Jean or Moscow. Jill
I meant as the OP mentioned she had 2 credentials...as I remember you can place about 30 stamps on each credential so if...if she walked from Sarria or whatever other place 100 kms away from Santiago, she had been be very busy collecting 60 stamps during their camino. About one stamp for every 1,3 km on average should be enough to prove you have walked the last 100 kms..but I thought they came from further away..

Seriously, getting a Compostela is not a life or death issue

True but there are legitimate reasons why it can be important to some people. Personally, (hopefully) should I get mine ,it would not be for "bragging rights". I would view it as a "physical" embodiment not for me, but as an inspiration for my children and grandchildren. An example of what is humanly possible, no matter at what age. A symbol and reminder when I am gone from this earth, to those who were too young at the time to hear the stories first hand

It is only one side of the coin...maybe the lady at the other side did not sleep well, walking to the Pilgrims office it rained cats and dogs, she was bitten by a loose dog and had to wait for the railwaycrossing. Besides that there was no teabag left at home ..in other words. Maybe for her life was tough too.. And then you meet a pilgrim, tired, sweaty, impatient, 2 full stamped credentials -she came from far away -I should start screaming instanly..oh my gosh...seriously.. The coin has two sides. One we know by now... Maybe once we will read here the other story although to me it is okay so..
This is post #51 about this subject...
Bom caminho

The Cathedral provides the Compostella as a service....there are no requirements to walk the Camino....there are requirements to receive the Compostella.

There is no possibility that any staff member does not know the requirements or that many Pilgrims,every day, use two different credentials. Whatever the misunderstanding was...it was not because the staff person did not recognize two credentials.
There is always a senior person working who is authorized to make any decision on the spot and immediately.
of it.

Well, not quite the way I see it.

a) The Compostella is not a service. It is a product being sold by the Cathedral, all be ot for a tiny price. Who these days are walking with the Camino with the authorisation of the local lord or wnat have you and needs a peice of paper when arriving back home to prove permission was gramted for a good cause?

b) Rencent posts about the Variante Espiritual show how diffirent pilgrims and office volunteers are given contradictory info about what qulaifies and what does not, even with "managers" invloved.

And please don't give is the "poor volunteer" song and dance. Once one commits to being a volunteer the job should be done as well as if it was done for pay. Same commitment.

I for one blame the possible attitude of some walkers based on the poorly tought out palnning of the office. Expecting people who have walked hundreds and hundres of km, in discomfort, if not pain, to stand needlesly to purchase an award of achievement, with a smile and gratitude may be a bit of wishful thinking. With the space the new location has, why a simple system where one grabs a number when comming in and sitting until their number is called has not been thought about is beyond me.

At the very least, have a queue for thise who have walked the lat 100 only and one for the rest.

Those who find the Pilgrim Office and Compostella requirements not to their liking or standards ......should simply stay away from the Pilgrim Office and find another way to remember their walk..

The Compostella is issued by the Cathedral according to the requirements and procedures mandated by them.
No one is required to request one or to visit the office.

If it displeases you....stay away.
Why would anyone want to participate in something that they disagree with.

Cannot disagree with you more. Many people walk the Camino for many different reasons. There is no requirement to have any religious component. .

This is a pilgrimage to the tomb of an apostle! Of course it is religious...
You can walk it for whatever reason you like, no-one will judge or stop you but it is a RELIGIOUS pilgrimage. Please accept it as such, thank you.
Buen camino :)

Last edited:
where has this word Wicket come from? (It rhymes with cricket) although English is my ancient mother tongue, I have never come across this word to represent a counter service!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have never had a problem in the Pilgrim Office with the number of stamps on my credencial. I have never had more than 1 stamp per day for the last 100km, but I have never started before Galicia.

I have never had a problem in the Pilgrim Office with the number of stamps on my credencial. I have never had more than 1 stamp per day for the last 100km, but I have never started before Galicia.
Notwithstanding how the rules are actually interpreted in individual cases, there has been clearly a change in how the rules are stated in words. While in 2010, the text in the credencial said "En las casillas deberá figurar el sello de cada localidad (al menos uno por día) con la fecha, para acreditar su paso" (at least one stamp per day), in 2016 the text now says "al menos 2 por día" (at least two stamps per day).

BTW, the credencials I have - issued by a French organisation, recognised by the Cathedral, dating from before 2016 - just say "firmas y sellos" of the stop, without minimum requirement.

And, btw, again, it is quite obvious to me that not everyone reads what it says in their pilgrim's passports. Mine, in French, states very clearly that in order to receive a Compostela, the pilgrimage has to be done with a Christian approach. That is the meaning of pietatis causa, there is no way around it.

Just to avoid misunderstandings: we are discussing literacy skills and perhaps numeracy skills in this thread :), not a general discussion on what the Camino or the Compostela should or could mean.

Last edited:
Now I understand somebody can be shocked when encountering a"Star Wars" "wicket " at the wicket as I see the picture of the "wicket" at the Star Wars wicke..eh...website you linked Sabine :D.
Well wickets are an essential part of the game of cricket and that's as far as my, let's say, limited knowledge went!

That is factually incorrect. The Compostela is free.
Free with a request for a donation, like a donativo albergue. I'm willing to bet some people give more for the Compostela than they do for a night in an albergue.

"Un sello de cada localidad"... interesting, that could mean more than one lr even two stamps a day, but one from each village, town , etc. one walks through.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is a pilgrimage to the tomb of an apostle! Of course it is religious...
You can walk it for whatever reason you like, no-one will judge or stop you but it is a RELIGIOUS pilgrimage. Please accept it as such, thank you.
Buen camino :)

Quite right domigee, and that is why my next year pilgrimage will start 100 kilometer from Rome, then collect

at the tomb of Saint Peter his regard so I can forward them to Saint James. Is going to be (God willing) a

beautiful RELIGIOUS cultural and self sourcing pilgrimage full of pain :( and all the joy :D that comes with it.

And don't forget peregrinos" NO SAINT JAMES NO CAMINO (PILGRIMAGE) "

Buen Camino to everyone :)

Last edited:
That may be the practice in the pilgrims office, but it isn't the rule. The pilgrims office clearly states that you need two stamps a day from Sarria. Here is the exact wording:

• You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims).
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

No doubt having a rule that isn't rigorously enforced makes for a lot of potential conflicts, but I think the office workers/volunteers try to be fair even if they are not always chatty and engaging. It certainly sounds like the problem described by the OP started when the person behind the desk saw that there weren't two a day from Sarria onwards, and things escalated from there. Just like Moni describes, once these things get out of control you tend to lose your cool and your perspective, and then may wind up feeling very chagrined about the place you wound up. It's much more complicated when two languages are involved. This is a good heads up for all of us -- as we soldier on, on very crowded and hot caminos, there is no shortage of potential short fuses to ruin your day if you let them.
I agree whole heartly, the only comment from me is, I thought the Camino was about the journey not the .Compestela

That's so unfortunate. It's such a wonderful and tough journey...and the end you describe sounds so sad. But, I'm super happy for you and your daughters. Congratulations on all the steps and your awesome journey. All your great experiences will come back to you many times in the days and months to come. Enjoy them! and Buen Camino!! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Shaking head, SY

Seriously...that's your response. Let's show some compassion and love for a disappointed pilgrim. If the "volunteer" is as described, maybe she should rethink continuing to assist.

Last edited:
Let us not become polarised on this issue and certainly not descend into personal attacks. The OP has expressed her view of what occurred, others have responded with an alternative perspective. I think it is perfectly possible to be kind and emotionally supportive and still suggest a different view. I am also mindful of cultural differences; some cultures are much more direct than others. It does not mean people are less well intentioned.

Truly sorry that you had a bad experience at the end of your camino. I've never had a problem in the pilgrim office but did have one nasty experience with another pilgrim which still gives me a sour feeling when I think about it. Hopefully you won't let this one bad experience dominate your memory of what must have been a great walk with your daughters. Congratulations on your accomplishment!
If you are still in Santiago I suggest you head over to Casa Xantar - Bierzo Enxebre here: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Bi...d25e7abce!8m2!3d42.8816262!4d-8.5433668?hl=en
and order yourself and your daughters an orujo con hierbas - send me the bill!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We obviously see different scenarios in front of our eyes here: some see the disappointed pilgrim and others see - at least until the question about the number of daily sellos in her second passport is answered by @Carolet - the angry foreigner abroad who is unable to communicate with the people of the country being visited in their own language and expects foreign language skills of others which s/he does not possess her/himself.

Last edited:
And in general : the moderators are , again, doing a great job in keeping this forum civil and constructive.
I've been on other fora where the vibes where less nice to say the least.

And indeed let us not forget that this is really a worldwide forum with differences in languages and cultural views.

And when in doubt if you want to post something publicly : use the PM function to address the subject to the forummember or a moderator. Especially in case you want " to vent".

Hello! I've followed this tread with interest because I am currently one of the volunteers in the Oficina and was on duty from 3-8pm on Friday July 22. I wasn't at desk 13 and the first I heard of this event was when one of the other volunteers saw this thread on Saturday and showed it to the rest of us AND to the Oficina managers. To be honest, even though the post wasn't directed at me, I found the tone very upsetting. As someone else pointed out, we had more than 1900 peregrinos arrive on that day.

When I read over the complaint it occurred to me, as it has to a number of other people who have posted replies, that there was a misunderstanding over the requirement to have two sellos per day for the last 100km of any recognised route. I am fairly certain that the volunteer was able to read, but I suspect that she wasn't very experienced. At the first sign of an issue she should have called over one of the full time staff for advice (many of whom speak English in addition to a surprising number of languages). The compostela is given FOR FREE to a pilgrim who walks the LAST 100km of a recognised route to Santiago. If you arrive by horse or wheelchair, it is also the LAST 100km. If you are on a bike, it is the LAST 200km. I emphasise 'LAST' because we have had people show up who think that they can walk what they want and as long as it totals up to 100km they will get a compostela. This is not the case. Almost 50% of the people who do 'the Camino' start in Sarria which is 116kms away from Santiago. We do carefully look at the credenciales to see that people do have at least two stamps per day. We do this to have proof that the person actually walked all the way. Why would some people lies about this? In Spain, having a compostela is something that you can add to your CV as an indication that you can commit to something difficult. I have also heard of people using the Camino as a cheap holiday and so take taxis from one town to the next.

Volunteers with a bit of experience of the Camino are a bit more flexible when presented with a credencial (or two) that indicates that the perigrino(a) has started some distance away, like St Jean Pied de Port. I would certainly accept a credencial that has only one stamp per day fron St Jean BUT I would also explain that for the next Camino they need to make sure that they get at least two per day for the last 100km. I find that most peregrinos are very honest. Some may have started in St Jean, but add that they took a bus during part of the route. The important thing is that they walked from Sarria and have the stamps to prove it. So the volunteer probably only looked at the last credencial because she was checking to see if the two stamps per day from Sarria were there. That being said, as I indicated above, she should have asked for assistance. On the other hand, the peregrina should have also asked if she could speak to someone more senior. Like some of the others, I am a bit confused about the peregrina's use of terminology. People are either given (again for free!) either a compostela (if they have religious or spiritual motivations) or a certificate of completion (if they have cultural or touristic motivations). We don't call these 'scrolls'. Also, the places we sit are 'desks' or 'puestos' and not wickets. While the compostela/certificate of completiong is free, peregrinos can purchase, if they wish, a distance certificate. This costs 3 euros. This is written in Spanish (and in Gallego upon request). It has your name (as it is in your passport or ID card), when you started, where you started, the distance covered, when you arrived and the route you took. The Oficina also sells 'tubos', protective cardboard tubes, for 2 euros. We ask people if they want them and we explain the prices, but there is no requirement to purchase these AND there is certainly no push to get people to put money into the donation box. If you walk in with a correctly stamped credencial and want a compostela or completion certificate, that's fine by us and it doesn't cost you anything. What you do pay for at the start of your route is the credencial. The one that is sold in the Oficina is 1.50 euros. We have heard some stories of travel agents selling the credencial for a higher price! This is something that the Oficina wants to discourage.

I see that Ernesto wants to walk to Rome. I did this and it was lovely. The route is called the Francigena. You can get a credencial by joining the Francigena co-fraternity (in advance and by post). If you start 150km way (in Aquapotente, accessible from Rome by bus) and get sellos along they way, you can present this document to the tourist office at the Vatican and get a completion certificate.

I have to disagree with the person who asked why we didn't have a ticket system or separate queues for people who walked more than 100km. I have been a volunteer for the past four years and the system we have is easy for people of various languages and cultures to use. There is MUCH more space in the new Oficina. There are also chairs in the hallway for people who are tired! If you are too exhausted to queue with everyone else (and you don't know where they came from and what their circumstances are) you should probably check yourself into a hotel, have a good rest, and come back the next day. I would invite both the person who made comments about the lack of a ticket machine and the peregrina who posted her complaint to volunteer next year and see what things are like on the other side of the desk. You can do this by emailing: info@acogidacristianaenelcamino.es.

In closing, I am wondering what the intent of the peregrina with the complaint was when she posted her message. If she wanted to complain to a manager she could have done so at the time or in writing. This would have been more effective than posting a message on a forum. It seemed to me that she simply wanted to vent her anger. Again, I wonder if this is the most appropriate thing to do. I was, however, heartened by the comments by other forum members. The Camino, especially if you start from some distance away, should be about the journey, which includes the route as well as the people you travel with, and not a piece of paper.

the credencials I have - issued by a French organisation, recognised by the Cathedral, dating from before 2016 - just say "firmas y sellos" of the stop, without minimum requirement.

If it says firmas y sellos of the stop, there's a minimum requirement of two firmas and two sellos (minimum). Otherwise, it would say firma y sello (i.e.: one firma and one sello).

My post was certainly not intended to be in that category!;) The OP's anger was "understandable" but that doesn't mean it was defensible. Similarly the frustrations of Wicket 13 were probably understandable but not defensible. I hope that both parties (and the rest of us) learn something.
I agree
I've finished in SdC four times. The overall experience of getting a compostela has deteriorated to the point that I skipped it last time. There were 45 minutes worth of pilgrims queued up before the oficina even opened. Oficina apologists rightfully point out that much of the staff are volunteers and the compostela is 'free', but getting the compostela has become - IMHO - a negative ending to a very positive experience. An alarming number of pilgrims have told me that they 'can't wait to get out' of SdC.

Considering how dependent the city is on pilgrim money, you'd think it would come up with a better welcome. Just saying.

Hello! I've followed this tread with interest because I am currently one of the volunteers in the Oficina and was on duty from 3-8pm on Friday July 22. I wasn't at desk 13 and the first I heard of this event was when one of the other volunteers saw this thread on Saturday and showed it to the rest of us AND to the Oficina managers. To be honest, even though the post wasn't directed at me, I found the tone very upsetting. As someone else pointed out, we had more than 1900 peregrinos arrive on that day.

When I read over the complaint it occurred to me, as it has to a number of other people who have posted replies, that there was a misunderstanding over the requirement to have two sellos per day for the last 100km of any recognised route. I am fairly certain that the volunteer was able to read, but I suspect that she wasn't very experienced. At the first sign of an issue she should have called over one of the full time staff for advice (many of whom speak English in addition to a surprising number of languages). The compostela is given FOR FREE to a pilgrim who walks the LAST 100km of a recognised route to Santiago. If you arrive by horse or wheelchair, it is also the LAST 100km. If you are on a bike, it is the LAST 200km. I emphasise 'LAST' because we have had people show up who think that they can walk what they want and as long as it totals up to 100km they will get a compostela. This is not the case. Almost 50% of the people who do 'the Camino' start in Sarria which is 116kms away from Santiago. We do carefully look at the credenciales to see that people do have at least two stamps per day. We do this to have proof that the person actually walked all the way. Why would some people lies about this? In Spain, having a compostela is something that you can add to your CV as an indication that you can commit to something difficult. I have also heard of people using the Camino as a cheap holiday and so take taxis from one town to the next.

Volunteers with a bit of experience of the Camino are a bit more flexible when presented with a credencial (or two) that indicates that the perigrino(a) has started some distance away, like St Jean Pied de Port. I would certainly accept a credencial that has only one stamp per day fron St Jean BUT I would also explain that for the next Camino they need to make sure that they get at least two per day for the last 100km. I find that most peregrinos are very honest. Some may have started in St Jean, but add that they took a bus during part of the route. The important thing is that they walked from Sarria and have the stamps to prove it. So the volunteer probably only looked at the last credencial because she was checking to see if the two stamps per day from Sarria were there. That being said, as I indicated above, she should have asked for assistance. On the other hand, the peregrina should have also asked if she could speak to someone more senior. Like some of the others, I am a bit confused about the peregrina's use of terminology. People are either given (again for free!) either a compostela (if they have religious or spiritual motivations) or a certificate of completion (if they have cultural or touristic motivations). We don't call these 'scrolls'. Also, the places we sit are 'desks' or 'puestos' and not wickets. While the compostela/certificate of completiong is free, peregrinos can purchase, if they wish, a distance certificate. This costs 3 euros. This is written in Spanish (and in Gallego upon request). It has your name (as it is in your passport or ID card), when you started, where you started, the distance covered, when you arrived and the route you took. The Oficina also sells 'tubos', protective cardboard tubes, for 2 euros. We ask people if they want them and we explain the prices, but there is no requirement to purchase these AND there is certainly no push to get people to put money into the donation box. If you walk in with a correctly stamped credencial and want a compostela or completion certificate, that's fine by us and it doesn't cost you anything. What you do pay for at the start of your route is the credencial. The one that is sold in the Oficina is 1.50 euros. We have heard some stories of travel agents selling the credencial for a higher price! This is something that the Oficina wants to discourage.

I see that Ernesto wants to walk to Rome. I did this and it was lovely. The route is called the Francigena. You can get a credencial by joining the Francigena co-fraternity (in advance and by post). If you start 150km way (in Aquapotente, accessible from Rome by bus) and get sellos along they way, you can present this document to the tourist office at the Vatican and get a completion certificate.

I have to disagree with the person who asked why we didn't have a ticket system or separate queues for people who walked more than 100km. I have been a volunteer for the past four years and the system we have is easy for people of various languages and cultures to use. There is MUCH more space in the new Oficina. There are also chairs in the hallway for people who are tired! If you are too exhausted to queue with everyone else (and you don't know where they came from and what their circumstances are) you should probably check yourself into a hotel, have a good rest, and come back the next day. I would invite both the person who made comments about the lack of a ticket machine and the peregrina who posted her complaint to volunteer next year and see what things are like on the other side of the desk. You can do this by emailing: info@acogidacristianaenelcamino.es.

In closing, I am wondering what the intent of the peregrina with the complaint was when she posted her message. If she wanted to complain to a manager she could have done so at the time or in writing. This would have been more effective than posting a message on a forum. It seemed to me that she simply wanted to vent her anger. Again, I wonder if this is the most appropriate thing to do. I was, however, heartened by the comments by other forum members. The Camino, especially if you start from some distance away, should be about the journey, which includes the route as well as the people you travel with, and not a piece of paper.

Hi peregrina Nicole, that is exactly what I am looking at to start from , Acquapendente or Proceno so is

going to be a matter of around 90 days walk because like usual is gong to be also Fisterre & Muxia, I am

right to think is going to be on the 3000 kilometer or there about ?

Ciao, happy day :D :) :D

Ernesto

Thank you, peregrina Nicole. I think we all needed your reply to put things into perspective!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back