• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Difficulty walking uphill -Sarria to Santiago ?

heavenlyflower60

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
I am looking for information on just how steep or difficult the climbs are along the way between Sarria through to Santiago. I have leg problems and have to stop to rest my leg often even when walking on flat terrain but am determined to walk the Camino at my own pace.
Climbing uphill is much more challenging for me. I am wondering if those of you who know this part of the Way can help with a better grasp of knowing what to expect as far as the level of difficulty going up the hills ?
I have John Brierly's book and can see the maps showing the accrued accents but I am still not sure if I have a clear picture on how much of a climb I am actually looking at on those maps? I do not plan on being in a rush but do wonder if this section will be a a problem for someone like myself with leg issues that will need to stop and rest often.
Thank you for any help you can offer so I have a better idea of how much time it may take someone walking with this kind of a problem with climbing to manage this portion as comfortably as possible and plan stops and timing accordingly. I am hoping to walk anywhere between 5 to 12 km per day sooooo I will be the happy slow poke on the trails!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am looking for information on just how steep or difficult the climbs are along the way between Sarria through to Santiago. I have leg problems and have to stop to rest my leg often even when walking on flat terrain but am determined to walk the Camino at my own pace.
Climbing uphill is much more challenging for me. I am wondering if those of you who know this part of the Way can help with a better grasp of knowing what to expect as far as the level of difficulty going up the hills ?
I have John Brierly's book and can see the maps showing the accrued accents but I am still not sure if I have a clear picture on how much of a climb I am actually looking at on those maps? I do not plan on being in a rush but do wonder if this section will be a a problem for someone like myself with leg issues that will need to stop and rest often.
Thank you for any help you can offer so I have a better idea of how much time it may take someone walking with this kind of a problem with climbing to manage this portion as comfortably as possible and plan stops and timing accordingly. I am hoping to walk anywhere between 5 to 12 km per day sooooo I will be the happy slow poke on the trails!

Heavenlyflowers,

The walk west from Sarria does, indeed, go up and down crossing many hills, but the high mountains are well past.

To begin your search for another profile of the route use the Mundicamino website set for Etapa 29: Samos - Portomarin >> Trazado - Perfil >> at this following link. .
http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=Trazado&id=15&cod=29&xini=Samos&xfin=Portomarín&xne=29&quees=Trazado / Perfil

The maps and profile read right to left or east to west in the way that the camino progresses. Thus Sarria is on the right/east side of the page. Also click on Descripcion on the blue box to read a general geographic description of the stage and see some photos. You can also translate the page automatically into English. For info for further stops along the way click the orange arrow to a higher Etapa on the right of the page.

I, too, walk VERY slowly and have found many ad hoc spots to rest walking along this way; rocks, logs and, of course, bars offer convenient rests. You might find my Camino Gazetteer comments of this section useful. Here is that link. >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aasar.html.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi Heavenly Flower. As usual Margaret Meredith is spot on. There are certainly a few hills as you would expect on a walk of that length, but they're the kind that can be tackled by taking your time. Some of the earlier climbs (such as the one up to O Cebreiro) can take all morning, but there's nothing like that so you can tackle them at your pace. If I remember correctly, when you leave Sarria you come across a hill after the first few kilometres. It's probably as big as anything you'll confront, so see that as a test and a confidence builder. It's perfectly OK just to stop every few metres, and if others are coming up behind you can use that as an excuse to stop and let them pass. You'll probably see them later in the day anyway! Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The hardest part will be the steps leading up after the bridge into Portomarin! And yes it is possible to walk around them, the next difficulty is the walk past the industrial area coming out of Portomarin-close your eyes and plod there is no reason to open them . I will not say anything to disparage the Camino however the larger towns you will be meeting are, a bit, well, uninviting. Stop before and go beyond places like Melide or Arzua and do avoid at all costs the so-called pilgrims pavillon Os Chacotes just before Palas del Rei but do try for the smaller albergues in the villages-not the towns. The round trip detour to Vilar de Donas is a good easy walk to a Romanesque church now a museum-highly recommended.

I started my Camino journey in SJPDP and finished it in Orisson!! That hill was brutal.

I made my way over to England where I spent 8 days and 140k walking over the cliffs in Dorset (Jurassic Coast Trail).

I decided that if I could do those incredible hills that I could certainly do Spain.

So I ventured to Sarria where I began the 2nd part of my Camino journey. There definitely are hills, and they can be hard, but nothing like the Pyrenees (and I believe there are other sections that are equally high). I had the Brierly maps book and while it was good to know how high each segment was I also found that it created some anxiety ahead of time.

My Camino journey continued to Santiago and I had the courage to trek onto Finisterre.

As I walked alone (except for two great days with a Mom and Son duo from Alaska) I was able to go at my own pace and never felt rushed or pressured to keep up. I planned to walk about 15k each day, some days were about that and others were round the 20k mark.

Good luck and Buen Camino.

Cheryl

By the way, people have another option entering Portomarin. It's longer but a bit gentler.
That is to turn RIGHT after crossing the bridge and follow the sidewalk up to the top of the town,
then cross over either at the park, or just keep walking and go around the block and down into the town.
I do this all the time because those steps are so daunting!
If you are not stopping in Portomarin, you can just turn left (caution = traffic) and walk down the road..
I also don't take the trail back over the river - I walk the road. That trail eventually hooks back up with the road a few kilometers up the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Between Sarria and Santiago the are some rolling hills , but nothing like before Sarria. After the train tracks and the hill following its pretty tame all the to Lavacolla. there is a 2 mile uphill stretch to the mount de gozo ,but very doable, take your time and have a Fanta naranja, Darrell

Believe that compared to crossing the Pyrenees, O Cebreiro, etc is overrated. You should have no problem as long as you listen to your body.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Need to add, that by overrated, I mean by difficulty. It is incredibly beautiful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For a slightly less steep climb up to O Cebreiro follow the camino bicycle path from La Herrerias to Laguna and on up to the top. This was the ONLY way to pass last November 29 when much was covered with a meter of snow and hidden in a white-out. What a memorable climb that was !!

MM

Not ever steep, my favourite walk up that valley, you will have no problem

For a slightly less steep climb up to O Cebreiro follow the camino bicycle path from La Herrerias to Laguna and on up to the top. This was the ONLY way to pass last November 29 when much was covered with a meter of snow and hidden in a white-out. What a memorable climb that was !!

MM
It certainly is memorable! I took that route by accident on my first Camino. Although slightly less steep it is long and winding and there is very little shade on a hot day. Don't see it as an easy alternative. On either route take plenty of water. Having done both I'd recommend the regular route, despite being someone who finds uphill sections challenging. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I have just finished my Sarria to Santiago part of the Camino. I also have problems walking uphill and the first hill I came to between Sarria to Portomarin was a real challenge, it was on tarmac and out in the open - the steps into Portomarin were easy in comparison. But I did it. I set myself targets re where to walk to and focused on that spot, not the whole hill. I saved my walking sticks for hills and it gave me a chance to take a pause, measure up and work out how I was going to tackle the hill and then set off, small steps, not big striding ones. There isn't really anywhere to sit down on the hill and to be honest, you should keep going slowly until you get to the top. as well as taking your time, there are so many other Camino walkers wishing you Buen Camino, it adds to your motivation. Plus, all of the words of advice and good lucks from people on this fantastic site will keep you moving The Brierley book does give you an idea as to the steepness of the hills, but to be honest, you will never really know until you get there. I tried taking photos of the hills and filming my walk uphill, but it did not do it justice. This may sound weird, but when my legs ached going uphill, I would turn around and walk backwards, a good distraction as I was going so slowly anyway.

Do not be distracted by people walking quicker than you as someone has already said, you will see them again somewhere along the way.

Don 't worry about it, you have to just go and do it, take your time because on the Camino, you march to your beat.

It is truly an experience not to be missed.

This was not the longest uphill stretch and there are others, but within the woods and forests.

I tried taking photos of the hills and filming my walk uphill, but it did not do it justice. This may sound weird, but when my legs ached going uphill, I would turn around and walk backwards, a good distraction as I was going so slowly anyway.
I often advise walkers who easily tire on hills to 'step short' - shorten their stride length. Even if you cannot maintain your cadence, stepping short has a number of advantages when going uphill. This website explains them better than I might in a short post.

What walking backwards typically does is force a much shorter step, and if for no other reason, will reduce the stress on your joints and the effort your muscles need to exert. A side benefit might be that you might be using your muscles in a slightly different way, but I think the major change is that you cannot stride out backwards easily and fluidly. All this will make it easier to walk uphill, but could generally be achieved with shorter strides rather than having to walk backwards.

Regards,

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back