• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Digital Brierley Guide?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I cut the back binding off of mine, ran it through the scanner, and saved it as a PDF. I then saved the PDF to my Google Drive, and iBooks on my iPhone. A couple of steps, but not too difficult.
I’m still fairly analogue. I cut off the extraneous cover and pages from
JB’s ‘Maps only’ then throw away each page as it is used. I use my iPhone more than I should, but I’ve never had a book become inaccessible from lack of power or network coverage; not that a guide is really necessary on 90% of the CF for routefinding purposes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think there was one a few years back but it didn't generate enough traffic to make it worth it. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

To make the process easier you can use one of the countless scanner apps for both iPhone and Android devices. They can even convert you scans to pdf.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I take screenshots of all my guidebooks before I go, complete with the notes I've added in beforehand. It sounds like quite a task, but is actually quite simple and only takes about 20 minutes. I delete the pages as I go along.
I think I am left behind in the techy race :) I like carving in stone :) And the astrolabe is a bit cumbersome for my rickety fingers! :) I think a fair amount of us back in the olden times bought TWO copies of Brierly, one to leave in the bookshelf and the other to drag about on the trail, calmly tearing out each page as we passed along. Sigh, if only the paper had been softer !

Samarkand.

I’ve carried a guide on each of my trips. I make notes in it, mark starting and ending points each day, record email addresses of people I meet, daily expenses, etc. It becomes my journal and a record of my trip. I enjoy pulling them out every once in while and reading through them.

frm

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve carried a guide on each of my trips. I make notes in it, mark starting and ending points each day, record email addresses of people I meet, daily expenses, etc. It becomes my journal and a record of my trip. I enjoy pulling them out every once in while and reading through them.

frm
I type up my daily musings in bed each night and print them out after I return home as my journal. Like you, I occasionally read through them to relive some of the details of my walk.

I think it was a conscious and deliberate decision by Brierley and/or the publisher not to offer the guide in an e-Book format, just the maps. There was talk a few years ago of adapting it into an app, but I could never get the app to work with my phone.

If you want to access Camino information from your phone, there are a number of apps that can be useful and are not too expensive (especially in the context of the overall costs and duration of a Camino!). These include: the Wisely + (Wise Pilgrim) series of apps, Buen Camino, Camino Ninja, and Camino Pilgrim. As well, many people have found the Gronze.com site invaluable in planning their Caminos.

I take screenshots of all my guidebooks before I go, complete with the notes I've added in beforehand. It sounds like quite a task, but is actually quite simple and only takes about 20 minutes. I delete the pages as I go along.
How much weight does deleting the pages as you go save? 🤣 😂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
While the maps do not change much, I suggest if you are planning to walk in late 21 or early 22 (if we are so fortunate) that you do confirm the places you are planning to stop at or stay at. They may not be operating.

Most 2020 Guidebooks may be more than
slightly outdated in terms of information due to some of the caminos having been closed for most of a year, including to guide book writers. Some places are not open, others have changed names and operating hours.

As I have been reseaching the Invierno, I noticed that some places in the 2020 guides have closed or names of establishments have changed. Remember that that information was likely gathered in late 2019 or very early 2020, before the pandemic closures...so you may have some outdated information.

For the Invierno, I-will be using Brierleys Maps for Camino Invierno.....

as well as these two resources for Sights and most recent Invierno information thanks to @peregrina2000

Last edited:
The maps only version of the Brierly guide is available as a Kindle book, but that's it.
Or at least it was in 2016 when I bought it.
Here is the link to Amazon's Kindle Books for Brierley.

The maps were last updated in 2018.

You can download the Buen Camino and or the Wisely apps. They both have downloadable GPS and maps as well as albergues and services.

But you knew that already Trecile but maybe Bob doesn't.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
JB’s ‘Maps only’ then throw away each page as it is used. I use my iPhone more than I should, but I’ve never had a book become inaccessible from lack of power or network coverage; not that a guide is really necessary on 90% of the CF for routefinding purposes.
Henry, I did the same thing. I tore out pages after I passed that point on The Camino. The guide book was pretty heavy at Zubiri, but it got lots lighter as I made progress along the Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I go out before I start to walk the camno and leave a trail of breadcrumbs so that I never lose my way...

You can also print to PDF on Android phones by default. The trick is that the app has to have a "Print" option. Most of the popular Camino apps I checked (Wise Pilgrim, Buen Camino, Camino Ninja, Camino Pilgrim, etc.) do not. E-books, I already have in an offline, easy to read format. Moving them to PDF doesn't really help much.

This is probably best used for saving material from a website like Gronze.com.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Interesting that there is a Kindle version for the complete version of the guide to the Sanabres and Invierno but not for the other routes.
Hi David. I found that a little odd myself. I thought that maybe it was because this was one of his new guides. But who knows.

Re Guidebooks in general::

I love keeping my guides--as a souvenir of my journey. I enjoy the resource in "nostalgic" moods, "helping others" mode along with "giving presentations" or "educational" modes. I don't ever destroy my books. To me, they are treasures. Many notes and calculation's that bring back memories, some good, some not so good lol. Nah, all good!

I think there was one a few years back but it didn't generate enough traffic to make it worth it. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
There was. I purchased the app (i think it was for my 2017 Camino), and it was the number one largest disappointment of any app I have ever purchased. Apparently the app did not belong to Brierly, but the rights to the info in the guide book was sold to an app producer (or some such thing). It was unwieldy, the distance info in it NEVER corresponded to any other info that was out there. I used it a maximum of 3 days before deleting it from my phone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I bought the Kindle version but I carry the paper version. I just like it better and try to stay away from electronics on the Camino, personally.

I did that for my 2020 canceled Camino. Will delete and redo with updated notes for 2022 or 23 Camino.

I cut the back binding off of mine, ran it through the scanner, and saved it as a PDF. I then saved the PDF to my Google Drive, and iBooks on my iPhone. A couple of steps, but not too difficult.
I did the same and turned it into a kindle book. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think I am left behind in the techy race :) I like carving in stone :) And the astrolabe is a bit cumbersome for my rickety fingers! :) I think a fair amount of us back in the olden times bought TWO copies of Brierly, one to leave in the bookshelf and the other to drag about on the trail, calmly tearing out each page as we passed along. Sigh, if only the paper had been softer !

Samarkand.
I tore out my pages but didn't buy a 2nd copy for the shelf. I figured the next time I went, I'd buy the latest version. And that is the case! I do have other guides in the shelf that I didn't take with me, but alas, no Brierly from 2019. Just little groups of pages tossed in the trash along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I nosed around on the forums but didn't see the answer to this. Have there been any rumors or talk about the a digital Brierly Frances guide being available or in the works?
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but Brierley for 2021/22 is now released in a Kindle version. I purchased it - but then returned as it does not follow the normal conventions of a Kindle Book so text cannot be resized etc... It feels a lot like reading a PDF, and given the size of text when used on my Kindle was close to unusable as the print was so tiny.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back