• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Digital Credencial

emupark14

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Frances
2021 Norte
Hi, I have arrived in Irun today and I’m just trying to figure out where to collect a stamp using the digital credencial. I went to the cathedral and didnt have any luck. I don’t have a hard copy to collect so I’m wondering whether I should try and pick one up, but where? I start tmw. If anyone has used the App for collecting stamps on the Norte, i’d be keen to hear your thoughts. Cheers, James

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I was just reading the various links on the Cathedral website about the App.
They do say it does not replace the paper credencial, but compliments it.

I'm sure it will have some benefit.

The challenge I can see, is that it requires establishments to register their stamp on a website.
So I would at least 'plan' that most places won't have done that, just to be safe.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks everyone, all good points/advice. All sorted! I have a paper credencial. The wonderful staff at Pension Bidasoa in Irun took control once they realised this morning i didn't have a credencial. A terrific bloke ran off to the church/presbytery just down the road, spoke to one of the priests and before I knew it I was ushered down to receive my credencial along with my first stamp from San Gabriel and Santa Gemma church. It was a lovely reminder of the old adage, “the camino always provides”.

FYI to anyone looking for a credencial in Irun, this church has plenty. Cheers.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I posted in a different thread about the problems with the digital credential. The bottom line is that it is NOT yet ready for prime time. I recommend avoiding it.

There are two primary reasons for this:

1. The roll-out was spotty - VERY spotty. It is difficult or impossible to know where you might be able to obtain a digital sello. The concept was for every Camino related establishment along all the Caminos to have a standard sign with a QR code for you to scan. That would transfer, time and date stamp the image of that place's rubber sello to your smart phone. But, there was little follow through to determine which establishments had obtained a QR label and which did not. This was intended to stop the handling of the ubiquitous rubber stamps and ink pads along the Caminos - as this was considered a vector for spreading COVID.

2. The Pilgrim Office cannot read the digital data on your smart phone. They have no method to unlock the digital sellos.

The take away is to continue to use the old fashioned rubber stamp sellos in paper credencials. Remember to use alcohol based hand sanitizer afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can find the digital ones in the tourist offices in Galicia...they sometimes open late...
I saw a lot of people on the Camino Portugués that had no spots left on their credential when they arrived in Galicia!
So get a second one or a sheet of paper🤞👍
Buen Camino 🍀

I posted in a different thread about the problems with the digital credential. The bottom line is that it is NOT yet ready for prime time. I recommend avoiding it.

There are two primary reasons for this:

1. The roll-out was spotty - VERY spotty. It is difficult or impossible to know where you might be able to obtain a digital sello. The concept was for every Camino related establishment along all the Caminos to have a standard sign with a QR code for you to scan. That would transfer, tine and date stamp the imagine of that place's rubber sello to your smart phone. But, there was little follow through to determine which establishments had obtained a QR label and which did not. This was intended to stop the handling of the ubiquitous rubber stamps and ink pads along the Caminos - as this was considered a vector for spreading COVID.

2. The Pilgrim Office cannot read the digital data on your smart phone. They have no method to unlock the digital sellos.

The take away is to continue to use the old fashioned rubber stamps sellos. Remember to use alcohol based hand sanitizer afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Great points Tom. When I first heard about the digital stamp which I am mediately rejected for myself, I thought about all those tiny little bars, restaurants. Albergues and other establishments run by local people who like myself have a little knowledge of technology computers etc. I always wondered how it was going to work in those establishments. Also wondered how much interest if any owners those establishments had in a digital passport.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.