• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Digital credential

James X

Caminhos with a h
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Central Português: October 2017
Caminho: Coastal / Litoral / Lost: September 2018
This may appear sacrosanct and I know despite liking my technology I would never get one of these but....

and I don't believe I've seen it here on the forum yet....

You can now get a digital credential in the form of an App (Google / Android) where it appears you scan a QR code at the establishment you are visiting and that is the equivalent to a stamp

Can open worms everywhere

I don't believe I would ever go for this option - there is nothing as sentimental as looking back through an old passport

but for those that are interested or for anybody that gets stuck without being able to get a paper one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
for those that are interested or for anybody that gets stuck without being able to get a paper one.
The digital credential was introduced nearly a year ago, in May 2021, see this thread: New digital Credential is introduced by the Cathedral.

You may well be able to download the digital credential when you did not get a paper one in time. But then what? There is no guarantee that you will get a digital sello (stamp) in every place where you easily get a stamp in your paper credential. Because not every albergue or hotel was motivated to participate in this new system and so they did not apply for approval of a digital version of their sello.

It's not been a huge success based on what pilgrims have reported to date.

Question to those who walked: Did you notice the option of obtaining a digital sello in the albergues, hotels and casas rurales where you stayed, either last year or now?

Last edited:
The digital credential was introduced nearly a year ago, in May 2021, see this thread: New digital Credential is introduced by the Cathedral.

You may well be able to download the digital credential when you did not get a paper one in time. But then what? There is no guarantee that you will get a digital sello (stamp) in every place where you easily get a stamp in your paper credential. Because not every albergue or hotel was motivated to participate in this new system and so they did not apply for approval of a digital version of their sello.

It's not been a huge success based on what pilgrims have reported to date.

Question to those who walked: Did you notice the option of obtaining a digital sello in the albergues, hotels and casas rurales where you stayed, either last year or now?
FYI from the Correos To get the stamps of the places through which he passes, the pilgrim will only have to capture some image with his camera. Through the geolocation system, it will automatically become a seal that accredits the pilgrimage, which will also include day, time and place.

I have asked for this thread to be deleted as it has been mentioned before

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd be really curious to know whether this new offer is being accepted or not. After all, 180,000 people walked in 2021 and most of them walked during the second half of the year, after the introduction of digital sellos.

James,

If the moderators deleted every thread which duplicated a previous one, there would probably only be a dozen left.

‘Can I take my poles on the ‘plane?’ in itself occupies half the server space.,
Yes I appreciated that but I'm trying to be diligent here

I bet the "polerites" never ask for their post to be deleted once they realise it's been answered.

Anyway I think Hoka Ones take up half the server space :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd be really curious to know whether this new offer is being accepted or not. After all, 180,000 people walked in 2021 and most of them walked during the second half of the year, after the introduction of digital sellos.
Didn't see a single person using them, and only rarely saw any availability of them.

In most of my life I am a keen early adopter of new technologies. But I have very old-fashioned notions when it comes to pilgrimage. The idea of digital sellos just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. And the notion of taking a queue ticket at the pilgrim office as if it was a supermarket cheese counter is no better either :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've also been a keen early adopter of new IT technologies, since about 1978. I have the digital credential on my iPhone. Of course. I had to try it out. I paid my dues to the Cathedral by credit card from the app (€2 ?). I scanned the only digital sello that I could find on the web: a sello of the Giralda of Seville (Via de la Plata), created by the Spanish Correos.

I now have a digital credential with 11 sello images of the Giralda in my credential. From September 2021. They are in my digital Camino Frances credential.

I'll never use it on a Camino.

BTW, you MUST scan twice a day for it to work. Always. Even as far away from Galicia as Seville.

🙃

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I paid for mine recently but couldn't easily find a place with QR Code. There's few places on Camino where you can find one. I asked lots of established, pilgrim friendly hotels, hostals etc but none have it yet so I gave up. They won't even let you change start date as I hadn't used it so I can't use it in future. You don't want to arrive at end of stage tired endlessly searching around for QR. They don't even list within APP places with it. So waste of money don't buy it!

James,

If the moderators deleted every thread which duplicated a previous one, there would probably only be a dozen left.

Right on Ivar. I see it in many of the forums I am on. Too lazy to search and do their research. Researching prior to my Camino is a big part of my Camino experience. Learning about what you are doing. David

Right on Ivar. I see it in many of the forums I am on. Too lazy to search and do their research. Researching prior to my Camino is a big part of my Camino experience. Learning about what you are doing. Researching prior to my Camino is a big part of my Camino experience. Learning about what you are doing
And did you do any research about the digital credential that the Cathedral of Santiago supports and about the availability of digital sellos along the Spanish Caminos which you would be willing to share on the forum and from which we would benefit, be it because we want to use the digital credential on our next Camino or because we are merely interested in the project?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I paid for mine recently but couldn't easily find a place with QR Code. There's few places on Camino where you can find one. I asked lots of established, pilgrim friendly hotels, hostals etc but none have it yet so I gave up. They won't even let you change start date as I hadn't used it so I can't use it in future. You don't want to arrive at end of stage tired endlessly searching around for QR. They don't even list within APP places with it.
Thank you for your feedback! You actually tried to use it on the road to Santiago.

That the Digital Credential app does not even list the places that have digital sellos is a poor concept and poor design, imho.

Otoh, that there are digital sellos on the Camino markers in Galicia, at least apparently on the Camino Ingles, is a cute idea. Or at least a novel idea.

Whe I walked the Inglés last September there were a few people using the digital credential. Ftom what I could see you could scan a digital code on the way markers laong the route. So you didn't necessarily need to get them from bars or accommodation.
And the sad thing about that is that it leads to fewer opportunities to interact with other people along the way... which--in times of COVID--was, I suppose, the entire point! :-(

This is HERESY! Ok not really but it makes me think how technology is integrated into traditional places. What next? In times past someone could walk the Camino on your behalf and you get the compostella. What about having a robot walk the Camino for you so you don't have to do it yourself? Provided the robot gives up the compostella once in Santiago, this could work. Maybe the robot would need to walk 500 kms and if it was a drone, it would need to do 1000- or start from your front door? Anyone up to calling Pope Francis on this one? Would the robot get a discount at the albergues? The QR codes would be an advantage for the drones! We face such a wonderful future! Actually the robots would double up as backpack carriers and if they charged the standard 3 Euros they could afford some recharging along the way! Need to call Elon to get charging stations!

ROBOTS DON'T SPREAD COVID!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
James,

Haha 🤣

And the sad thing about that is that it leads to fewer opportunities to interact with other people along the way... which--in times of COVID--was, I suppose, the entire point! :-(
I remain optimistic. Also realistic.

Take the digital sellos on waymarkers: I've not had much personal interaction with waymarkers before the introduction of the digital credential so this is not going to be sadder than before. Also, think of the new opportunities of personal interaction with other pilgrims: "What are you doing? Why are you taking a photo of all the waymarkers between here and Santiago?" "How does this work?" (Great opportunity to share your knowledge of the digital world with other pilgrims. Or build up and enrich your knowledge.)

I myself am a strict one-sello-a-day-no-Compostela person. I've stamped my paper credential numerous time with an ink stamp in churches, bars, and even at my accommodation silently, by myself, because nobody else was present or they motioned me to do it myself because they were busy otherwise.

No, this was in the works before Covid. It's to help streamline the process for the Pilgrim Office staff and volunteers as they serve ever increasing numbers of pilgrims. and It also cuts down on paperwork which is good for the environment. That's said, paper credentials aren't going away, so pilgrims have the choice, or can use both.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This is HERESY! Ok not really but it makes me think how technology is integrated into traditional places. What next? In times past someone could walk the Camino on your behalf and you get the compostella. What about having a robot walk the Camino for you so you don't have to do it yourself? Provided the robot gives up the compostella once in Santiago, this could work. Maybe the robot would need to walk 500 kms and if it was a drone, it would need to do 1000- or start from your front door? Anyone up to calling Pope Francis on this one? Would the robot get a discount at the albergues? The QR codes would be an advantage for the drones! We face such a wonderful future! Actually the robots would double up as backpack carriers and if they charged the standard 3 Euros they could afford some recharging along the way! Need to call Elon to get charging stations!

This sounds like the makings of a new video game, but no thanks.😐
That said, it could be interesting. Here's a quick example...if you trip over a rock and need to go to the hospital, you would get points deducted off your final score.
Someone could invent and design the game and potentially sell it off on "Shark Tank".😅

this was in the works before Covid. It's to help streamline the process for the Pilgrim Office staff and volunteers as they serve ever increasing numbers of pilgrims
I vaguely remember - could be wrong - that the digital credential was conceived and developed with the view of the Holy Year and the expected increase in the number of pilgrims who would apply for a Compostela. Which then did not materialise in 2021 but could well materialise in 2022.

I can't try this out but I think, once you have the required number of digital sellos for the 100 km just before Santiago and are close to Santiago, you can use the app to register your application for your Compostela. Unfortunately, the app is devoid of a user manual.

That could be a real bonus of the app. People would have the digital credential app in addition to their paper credential.

This may appear sacrosanct and I know despite liking my technology I would never get one of these but....

and I don't believe I've seen it here on the forum yet....

You can now get a digital credential in the form of an App (Google / Android) where it appears you scan a QR code at the establishment you are visiting and that is the equivalent to a stamp

Can open worms everywhere

I don't believe I would ever go for this option - there is nothing as sentimental as looking back through an old passport

but for those that are interested or for anybody that gets stuck without being able to get a paper one.

There are distinct advantages to using the digital credencial - but I would ALWAYS use it in parallel with a paper credencial. The paper is my favorite souvenir from all my Caminos.

You can also submit your demographic data before arriving at the Pilgrim Office over the Cathedral / Pilgrim Office website. Doing so accelerates the Compostela process.

Go to this link: https://catedral.df-server.info/agencias/Banderas.aspx?ind=1

Tap / click on the flag of the language you prefer. Follow the directions.

Hope this helps.

Tom

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is something new. The Federation of the Spanish Pilgrims Associations (Federación de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino) have also developed a digital version of the credential - I guess with the approval of the Santiago Cathedral?

With this credential app, you don't have to scan digital sellos, you merely take photos. Anyone knows about this or has tried it? The explications on their website point to a more fancy / more user friendly product. See link:

https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/apps/credencialdigital.asp

I can't try this out but I think, once you have the required number of digital sellos for the 100 km just before Santiago and are close to Santiago, you can use the app to register your application for your Compostela.
Seen on the info page for the digital credential of the Spanish Federation:

Al llegar a 1 km de Santiago se activa automáticamente el botón de ACTIVAR CREDENCIAL.
When you are at a distance of 1 km from Santiago, the ACTIVATE CREDENTIAL button is automatically activated.
(Before this causes more consternation - it is nothing unusual; people use such options all the time. There's probably a name for it. Geo-something? Can someone help me out? It's more than merely geolocation.)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

🙄

No, this was in the works before Covid. It's to help streamline the process for the Pilgrim Office staff and volunteers as they serve ever increasing numbers of pilgrims. and It also cuts down on paperwork which is good for the environment. That's said, paper credentials aren't going away, so pilgrims have the choice, or can use both.
I am paper all the way!

I, too, treasure my paper credencial very much.

If you went with a digital credencial only, would you get some kind of print-out at the end of your journey, as a keepsake?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Would you consider changing the thread title again? I myself could not squeeze an ounce of news worthiness out of another Poles on Planes thread but your thread here has potential.
Perhaps we could put together a movie treatment?

I can just imagine Samuel L Jackson delivering the line: "I have just about had it with these motherloving Poles on this motherloving Plane!"

I walked the Francés in September and October last year, and no one I saw was using the digital credential, no one was talking about it. Which surprised me because I had read about it in the Forum.

I tried to use the digital credential as a backup in 2021, but coming from the US, I couldn't pay for the app ( it wouldn't accept any of my credit cards). I kept the app on my phone while walking ( I liked the prayer), but even in country, I couldn't get their bank to accept my payment. I deleted the app after we returned. One other peregrino mentioned having the same problem.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have to tell you that I had hysterics on this one, every time I thought of your comment I started laughing again. Not sure about my sense of humour but I loved this one!

If you went with a digital credencial only, would you get some kind of print-out at the end of your journey, as a keepsake?
This is what I was wondering. I would like to try the Digital credential, but I do not want to keep the app on my phone forever. So, I would need a way to export the Digital credential to a PDF that I can store somewhere permanently.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
See the links in the very first post of this thread!
I have done exactly as the links say and neither of the two offerings appear to have anything to do with Correos or tha Cathedral De Santiago. The two offerings are free as one would expect.

One is authored by “Dunquech Ideas……” and the other by “James F Amien”

Are either of these genuine?

I have done exactly as the links say and neither of the two offerings appear to have anything to do with Correos or tha Cathedral De Santiago. The two offerings are free as one would expect.

One is authored by “Dunquech Ideas……” and the other by “James F Amien”

Are either of these genuine?
The first is called “Pilgrim Assist”, and the second is “Jacostamp”

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dunno what links you’ve followed but the links in the very first, right at the top, before any other posts at all, post in this thread take you to the three official sites wherein you can learn about and register a digital credencial. Why anyone would want to is a topic for another thread

Two of the l
Dunno what links you’ve followed but the links in the very first, right at the top, before any other posts at all, post in this thread take you to the three official sites wherein you can learn about and register a digital credencial. Why anyone would want to is a topic for another thread
Two of the links don’t work. One has been hacked I think as first it says the app is not available in my country (Ireland) and then sends me to an App that says some demon is coming.the only part that works on my I phone is the link to the cathedral registry.

It would be a pity if this initiative was thwarted.

I have done exactly as the links say and neither of the two offerings appear to have anything to do with Correos or tha Cathedral De Santiago.
The name of the app that has been developed on behalf of the Cathedral of Santiago is called: Credencial del Peregrino / Catedral de Santiago.

There are links to both app versions, ie to the AppStore and to the Google site for Android on their website (https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-credencial/) but the two links don't work. I checked the AppStore and I don't see the app there. I did download it ages ago. I am not sure whether it has disappeared altogether or whether this is yet again a geoblocking issue due to the fact that I am not in Spain.

Sorry!

Last edited:
@An Tincéir all three links worked for me off my iPhone about 20 minutes ago.
But I do believe that there is no point in worrying about it. Reports suggest there has been scant take up of this initiative and that the average pilgrim will be best served by that folded card credencial we’ve all relied upon for decades

@An Tincéir, I barely dare to mention it but there is of course a second digital credencial app mentioned in the links in the first post. It is brand-new and has been developed on behalf of the national Spanish pilgrims association. It has a bit more oomph than the Catedral's creation. I've not tested it but there is a user manual on the association's website. It's only available in Spanish. With this app, you can document your progress by either scanning digital sellos or taking photos. There are a number of features ...

I am little bit surprised about this because I think that this is totally independent of the Cathedral ....

https://www.caminosantiago.org/cpperegrino/apps/credencialdigital.asp

I had heard about them last year - but when I walked June/July - I didn't see anything about them on the Camino. Not sure if it is because I had forgotten and wasn't looking - or if the info just wasn't there.

That said - I am still doing a paper once this year - but I might try to do digital too ;) Mostly out of curiosity - but also to support this attempt at allowing a digital Camino. But not ready to give up the paper credential yet.

The first is called “Pilgrim Assist”, and the second is “Jacostamp”
No, these are other apps. It looks like we got ourselves into a tizzy about an app that is currently not available.

I checked in the Wayback Machine. The Cathedral's digital credencial app was downloadable last year. Screenshots below show it in both app stores but currently the app is not there, at least not outside Spain. The developer is Sotronic Innovation Technology S.L.; they are based in Vigo in Galicia. Now I wonder what my chances are to receive a reply if I write to the Oficina or Sotronic ... 0% and 10% perhaps?

Apps in store in 2021.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.