• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dilemma about when to start-19th or 26th September?

Lisa2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do the walk this Autumn 2018
Hi everyone,

Could do with some advice....

Am planning to be start the Camino De Santiago from France and do the whole thing so budgeting for around five- six weeks. I originally planned to leave on 19th September even though my flat is paid up until 30th September because I thought leaving that bit earlier would be better in terms of weather. However, am now thinking it would be useful to have a bit more time before I leave and perhaps change my departure date to 26th September.

My question is, do you think leaving on 26th September instead of 19th September would make a big difference in terms of weather and accommodation availability? If so, I will stick to my original plan.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this....

Thanks,
Lisa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Where in France are you leaving from. SJPP and doing the Camino Frances or are you doing a different Camino? Leaving a little earlier may help with the weather for sure. When you get to Galicia you may start to get some snow. I did about 6 years ago leaving on the 21st from SJPP. Also more Albergues will close in November so your choices may be fewer. In terms of the amount of people there will be less the later you go. How many fewer is anyone's guess.

When you go at that time of year be prepared for everything. I walked the Meseta twice and it was almost exactly the same time in October. The first time was super hot with temperatures approaching 90F/32C and not a cloud in the sky. The second time it was 45F/7C with heavy rain and wind almost all day, almost every day. The good thing is you can always buy stuff as you need to.

Buen Camino

Hi, thanks for your advice...
I will be starting from SJPP and doing the Camino Frances.
I hate being cold so maybe leaving on 19th there would be less chance to hit show than if I left on 26th do you think?
Lisa

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
September 26, by all means, but not for the reasons you asked.

November 1 is All Saints' Day, El Día de Todos los Santos. Leaving on Sept 26 will put you on track to arrive in Compostela just before the holiday. It's a great time to arrive, because a lot of the pelegrinos on the trail will be adjusting their pace to arrive at the same time. This means that you increase the odds of having unexpected reunions with folks you haven't seen in days or weeks.

Weather itself is too random. I left just around the same date last year. We had a stunningly perfect day crossing the Pyrenees. Really hot days where I used my umbrella for shade, and where some pilgrims had serious dehydration issues. Cold nights just above freezing, in albergues without heat. Frost in the mornings in Galicia. Give or take a week, and it could all be different.

Probably not that much of a difference on the Camino between those two departure dates. Flip a coin or just pick which one is most convenient.

This is not a dilemma, it is dithering. Leave when you leave, get there when you finish. September is Autumn on the Camino and good for walking, however the rain tends to roll into Galicia in October so the later you leave your walk the more likely you are to end up walking in the wet. Still what's a little drizzle on the way, stop dithering and get on with it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I left SJPDP on 15 September last year and found some albergues were full through to the end of September, particularly the more popular places to stay on this forum and the end points in the Brierley guide, so leaving later will avoid some crowds. As for the weather, its a gamble, layer up and prepare for anything. I had a great day crossing the Pyrenees, but one day either side of the 15th was covered in fog and rain.

Do you need to stipulate a date to start/leave the flat? Maybe get there and see how long does it take for you to adjust to jet lag, weather, enjoy the city... and then go when you feel like it. Weather wont have that huge of a difference because of one week.

As Michael mentioned, the later you leave, the closest to the All Saints holiday you will be. Great for camino friends, maybe not so great for accomodation - although you should be fine if you are not strict to albergues.

I have walked the CF twice, both times starting in the third week of September. In both cases I was walking in sweltering heat, and on other days I was glad I had gloves and a fleece. (I had to buy the fleece the second time around.
Last year when I walked I found easy to get a bed with the exception of Belorado....other than that a fabulous time.
I kept a detailed account of both Caminos at www.camcamino.com if you care to find out more about my experiences.

Buen Camino....my final word.....just go.
C'.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
November 1 is All Saints' Day, El Día de Todos los Santos. Leaving on Sept 26 will put you on track to arrive in Compostela just before the holiday.

@Lisa2018 , I [re]started from Estella on 3 October. This is about the same as you leaving Saint-Jean shortly after 26 September. I had really hot (around 30c) days for the first week. Then it scaled back a bit. The long term weather statistics for October indicated a more gentle 15c. So it will be what it will be.

If you are into ceremonial done well then do try to be in the Cathedral of Santiago ... for the midday mass. All the bells and whistles. And to be sure of a front row place arrive before any earlier mass has finished.

And so I say, in anticipatio of your departure:

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)​

November 1 is All Saints' Day, El Día de Todos los Santos. Leaving on Sept 26 will put you on track to arrive in Compostela just before the holiday. It's a great time to arrive, because a lot of the pelegrinos on the trail will be adjusting their pace to arrive at the same time. This means that you increase the odds of having unexpected reunions with folks you haven't seen in days or weeks.

Weather itself is too random. I left just around the same date last year. We had a stunningly perfect day crossing the Pyrenees. Really hot days where I used my umbrella for shade, and where some pilgrims had serious dehydration issues. Cold nights just above freezing, in albergues without heat. Frost in the mornings in Galicia. Give or take a week, and it could all be different.

Thank you for this, good to know :)

@Lisa2018 , I [re]started from Estella on 3 October. This is about the same as you leaving Saint-Jean shortly after 26 September. I had really hot (around 30c) days for the first week. Then it scaled back a bit. The long term weather statistics for October indicated a more gentle 15c. So it will be what it will be.

If you are into ceremonial done well then do try to be in the Cathedral of Santiago ... for the midday mass. All the bells and whistles. And to be sure of a front row place arrive before any earlier mass has finished.

And so I say, in anticipatio of your departure:

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)​
Thank you for the good tips :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked the CF twice, both times starting in the third week of September. In both cases I was walking in sweltering heat, and on other days I was glad I had gloves and a fleece. (I had to buy the fleece the second time around.
Last year when I walked I found easy to get a bed with the exception of Belorado....other than that a fabulous time.
I kept a detailed account of both Caminos at www.camcamino.com if you care to find out more about my experiences.

Buen Camino....my final word.....just go.
C'.
Thank you for your advice :)

Do you need to stipulate a date to start/leave the flat? Maybe get there and see how long does it take for you to adjust to jet lag, weather, enjoy the city... and then go when you feel like it. Weather wont have that huge of a difference because of one week.

As Michael mentioned, the later you leave, the closest to the All Saints holiday you will be. Great for camino friends, maybe not so great for accomodation - although you should be fine if you are not strict to albergues.
I can leave the flat whenever but paid up till 30th. Thank you for the suggestion, is a good point :)

I left SJPDP on 15 September last year and found some albergues were full through to the end of September, particularly the more popular places to stay on this forum and the end points in the Brierley guide, so leaving later will avoid some crowds. As for the weather, its a gamble, layer up and prepare for anything. I had a great day crossing the Pyrenees, but one day either side of the 15th was covered in fog and rain.
Thanks for your reply, good to know :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is not a dilemma, it is dithering. Leave when you leave, get there when you finish. September is Autumn on the Camino and good for walking, however the rain tends to roll into Galicia in October so the later you leave your walk the more likely you are to end up walking in the wet. Still what's a little drizzle on the way, stop dithering and get on with it.
Thanks for the 'friendly' advice!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm starting from SJPdP on September 18. Last year I started on September 15. My total pack weight is approximately 4.7 kilograms / 10.5 pounds, which is up from last years weight of 8.5 pounds. I'm including GoPro equipment this go around.

Anyway... my total clothing weight is around 3.5 pounds. That provides me with a temperature comfort range of around 35 F / 1.25 C to hot. I found that last year, I didn't need to wear the layering to keep me warm in the lower end of that range. The mornings were sometimes in the low 40's F, but I was quickly shedding layers as I started walking in order to keep from sweating, and the morning was also warming up.

In other words, I had more insulation capability than I really needed, and I would have been fine through October. I'll be carrying the same 'closet' that I did last year, with a couple of minor changes, but I anticipate that even if the fall weather snaps into a colder streak than last year, I'll be comfortable with the same gear.

Thanks for the 'friendly' advice!
It is intended that way. At least you are getting on with it, which is great. I can't tell you how many people ask endless questions and then sigh and say "you are so lucky" and don't do anything. It's a matter of priorities, you appear to have yours sorted out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I left SJPdP on Sept 17, 2016, and had a perfect Camino, regarding the weather and everything else... but it's all random. Two weeks after finishing my Camino I returned by car to some favorite places (around Molinaseca) with my friend who had met me in Santiago. I was surprised at how many fewer pilgrims were there than had been just 2-3 weeks earlier and I vowed that next time I'll leave at the end of September for that reason.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It was amazing and terrible at the same time
Want to expound on your reply?

You started this thread asking a question about timing. It would likely help others with the very question you originally posed to read about your experience post-Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back