• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dingle way

RachelNZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April/May 2017
Portuguese Camino Apr/May 2019
Hi Pilgrims,
I walked the Camino Frances in April/May this year and I was looking at other long walks to do. Has anyone walked the Dingle way in Ireland? How does it compare to the Frances?
Many thanks! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@RachelNZ -

Walked it in the first week of May 2016. You ask a big question in "how does it compare?" I'll break it down into components.

1. Walking - generally comparable with some good gravelly paths, some farm tracks, areas of mud. Lots of stiles to cross on some sections, that's new. Markings are generally good though not as bountiful as the Camino. I am not tempted to walk it again despite having enjoyed it immensely....too much road walking!...on narrow roads and buses come by within inches. But I was very glad to have walked it once as were my wife and friends.

2. Lodging - there are no albergues so you are in B & B's the whole way.

3. Food - take your pick, it's all there from pub food to high-class dining. Prices were reasonable for the fare, just do not expect the economy of a "menu al dia" or pilgrim's menu.

4. People - not a lot of people on the track when we were there. I think we came across a dozen in the week's walk. That said, we were absolutely bowled over by the hospitality, warmth and good humor of the Irish people we met at every stop.

5. Scenery - we found every bit of it lovely.

6. Logistical planning - the sooner you start the better. I began the December before going and was glad to have made lodging arrangements by the end of February. I was told several times that it was a good thing that I was not attempting to book for "the season" starting in June through August.

I do not know how soon I will be back to the computer. If, after this post, you seriously desire to go and wanted particular details, feel free to PM me. That will alert me via e-mail for a timely follow-up with you.

B

EDIT: I remembered a useful site for all walks in Ireland. Well worth a visit! Link:

http://www.irishtrails.ie/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pilgrims,
I walked the Camino Frances in April/May this year and I was looking at other long walks to do. Has anyone walked the Dingle way in Ireland? How does it compare to the Frances?
Many thanks! :)
A couple years ago, my sister and I thought of doing St.Cuthberts way in northern England. This walk has a very good website and trail book available. Check it out. It looks like a beautiful walk. I hope to do it some day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
RachelNZ, I walked St Cuthbert's Way in 2015. Immensely enjoyable. Accommodation was B&B, so not as economical as albergues; although there are some backpacker places en route. The trek across the mudflats to Holy Island was worth timing it right for the tide. A walking pole or two is essential. St Cuthbert must have been a muscular walker with enormous energy. You can also go to Holy Island from the Northumberland Coastal Path.
BerniceNZ

Rachel-have you looked at the Western Way which crosses Galway and Mayo? Some of the best walking in Ireland (ok I'm biased), especially the stretch from Mamean to Ballycroy. The weather is a bit of a gamble but beauty makes up for it.

I got terribly drunk in Dingle Bay in ´79 and have no memory of the scenery. Sorry.
So beware. - But lovely people...

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Both Galway and Dingle Bay are awesome [my unbiased point of view]. Good luck on the Dingle Way and/or Western Way, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back