• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dining at San Martin Pinario

CJG

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018) Sarria to SDC
(2019) Astorga to Sarria, SDC to Finisterre
We enjoyed staying and dining at Hospederia San Martin Pinario in 2019. As we are planning a May walk from Porto to Santiago this year we are finding that San Martin Pinario has only single pilgrim rooms available on our dates. Is it possible to stay elsewhere and still have dinner in the wonderful vaulted dining room?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, their dining room functions as a normal restaurant for mid-day and evening meals. The breakfast buffet is only for people staying there. I don't know about the breakfast buffet, but others (below) indicate that it was also available in the past..

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You also might try asking at reception when you get there. The last time I stayed, I was only able to get one night when I booked by email. When I got to SdC I checked at reception and was able to get another two nights as there had been cancellations.

Yes, their dining room functions as a normal restaurant for mid-day and evening meals. The breakfast buffet is only for people staying there.
In the past, I've been able to purchase tickets for breakfast from reception for people not staying there. Not sure if they're still doing it.

In 2013, the band of pilgrims we walked with from Oporto all met for breakfast there, €5 for a magnificent buffet breakfast that served us well. Only a few in the group were resident there.
As @Anniesantiago writes, neither do I know if it is still current practice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last year, I sent an email every week until finally a room became available. Not sure if I just wore them down or not, but it was worth the wait. Have stayed here on 3 Caminos and looking forward to being here in May again.
The dining room is always open for anyone as far as I can tell. Stop at the reception and ask. They usually have the menu on a stand out in front for the next meal.

We enjoyed staying and dining at Hospederia San Martin Pinario in 2019. As we are planning a May walk from Porto to Santiago this year we are finding that San Martin Pinario has only single pilgrim rooms available on our dates. Is it possible to stay elsewhere and still have dinner in the wonderful vaulted dining room?
yes at least it was about 5 years ago. For breakfast if you dont have your room key visible they charge, dinner was open to all as not free to residents.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For breakfast if you dont have your room key visible they charge
When leaving your room (in the Peregrino wing) you need your key to lock it. I have never been asked to show my room key. They ask for your room number at the dining room door and cross it off from a list.
Have others been required to show the key? PS: they are very cool keys.

When leaving your room (in the Peregrino wing) you need your key to lock it. I have never been asked to show my room key. They ask for your room number at the dining room door and cross it off from a list.
I always have my key with me when I leave my room. I have probably stayed there over 20 nights over the years and have never been asked for my key only my room number and name. In December I was there 3 nights. Two of the mornings I was not even asked my name/room and a few waiters saw me walk in.

Breakfast walk in 6e, pilgrim meal with wine afternoon and evening 12e for anyone. At least in May last year. Breakfast is free if you get the pilgrim room for 25e. Hard to get reservations via email or weekends. Sometimes you get lucky by calling day of or well in advance. I almost always can get a pilgrim room just by asking at the desk the day I arrive in Santiago. Maybe that would work for the other rooms also????

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You misunderstand me. They dont ask to see your key but if you leave your key on the table where they can see it, they dont have to bother you by asking for your room number. They never asked at the door. They came around the tables to get your number or money. Maybe things changed after 2016 but the dining room was open to all for breakfast and only paying if you were not a guest

You misunderstand me. They dont ask to see your key but if you leave your key on the table where they can see it, they dont have to bother you by asking for your room number. They never asked at the door. They came around the tables to get your number or money. Maybe things changed after 2016 but the dining room was open to all for breakfast and only paying if you were not a guest
Nothing had changed as of May 2022

Nothing has changed as of this week.

They are a very welcoming team. If, out of season, there isn't an evening meal the reception team will provide some good value & quality local alternative recommendations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last year I stayed there during 15 nights In April just before Semana Santa ( the Holy Week )
the breakfastbuffet was good . . At the door they checked my roomnumber every day again.
The diner costed 12 € and during the Holy Week they raised the price to 13 €
you could choose out of two meals. The food was simple .
several times we decided to have diner in town. More choice and more value for money.

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back