• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dinner options in Roncesvalles? Should I have booked dinner with hostel?

caminopeep

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to do my first Camino this year
Hi everyone!

We are starting in SJPP and breaking up the first section by staying in Orisson. We are then booked to stay at the albergue colegiata in Roncesvalles but we didn’t choose the option to have dinner there.
I’m now wondering if this is a bad idea?!

What is Roncesvalles like, are there many options for dinner or would you recommend I maybe contact the hostel to see if I can change it and have the dinner included too?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone!

We are starting in SJPP and breaking up the first section by staying in Orisson. We are then booked to stay at the albergue colegiata in Roncesvalles but we didn’t choose the option to have dinner there.
I’m now wondering if this is a bad idea?!

What is Roncesvalles like, are there many options for dinner or would you recommend I maybe contact the hostel to see if I can change it and have the dinner included too?
You can probably pay for the dinner when you get there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When you check in you can buy a ticket for dinner - at 7 pm or at 8.30 pm - in one of the two restaurants; costs are € 10,00 for a three course meal, wine/water included. The 7 pm tickets maybe get sold out in case there are many people but the 8.30 pm tickets will certainly be available when you check in.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Besides the "Casa Sabina" -which I suppose it is somehow related to the albergue- there is another hotel-restaurant in Roncesvalles, "La Posada". Food is reportedly better, but probably without the sharing experience offered with the "standard" option. And more expensive, I guess.
As I remember, the albergue has a kitchen, although evidently this would imply carrying your food. Or buying the pre-packaged stuff offered in the vending machine...probably not suitable for gourmets or too health conscious persons, but hey, you are not going to starve.
And since you are staying in Orisson, you will be probabley amongst the first to arrive, so you can explore your options and decide on the spot.
In the early morning, there is a cafe open in Burguete, just half an hour from Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My recollection is that all the restaurants at Roncesvalles want advance reservations so they know how many they will have to cook for and serve. If you fail to do so, the vending machines at the big albergue are your sole recourse.

Besides the restaurants Casa Sabina and La Posada you can also have a pilgrims dinner at the restaurant of Hotel Roncesvalles at the same price. So lots of possibillities, especially if you do not opt for the dinner at 7 pm. All pilgrims dinners have the same price, so La Posada isn't more expensive than Casa Sabina, and when I worked there last June the food in Casa Sabina was better!

We had dinner at hotel Roncevalles and didn't book it til we arrived

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back