• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dinner Theatre in St Jean Pied de Port 2021

BombayBill

Still Learning
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
I arrive in St Jean Pied de Port to begin the Frances. SJPP is one of my favourite places. It’s my third time here. But I’m the odd man out having done 4 other Caminos but never the Frances. It’s late August and a beautiful day as I go searching for my hostel.

The place is newer, a manageable size and run by an amenable ex-pat Australian. I rearrange my gear, head out for dinner and pass my first night. The next day, having time on my hands, I help out around the hostel. Some dishes and cleaning. Those that help out are invited to dinner. My host says see you around 7 and then as an afterthought says a late arriving volunteer will join us at dinner. There is an odd twinkle in his eye as he says this. He wants to say more but clams up. So at 7 I’m sitting at the table reaching for the wine jug when she blows in the door.

She’s Dutch. A tall striking blond woman in her forties. Trail tanned, trail tough, cheekbones that cut like a knife. She sits down and launches into her story. She had biked down from the Netherlands the previous month. Had a heart attack on the way but shook it off. Left her bike with our host and started walking the Frances. If the weather was hot she walked under the stars at night. If there was a beach she slept on it because she liked the feel of sand in her hair. She was now going to bike back to Amsterdam.

I kept her glass full and she became more animated. She would occasionally shoot to her feet and demand that we admire her hips, “I’ve lost 5 kilos!”. We admired her hips. In between glasses of wine she freshened her lips with a MAC lipstick. Coral I think. She may have said she used to be a super model. If my attention wavered she punched me in the shoulder….hard.

Dinner wound down and she shot to her feet a final time. She was in charge! We were to go to bed immediately! She would clean up and bake bread for breakfast.

The men retreated to our dorm. By silent assent we locked our door. Down below we could hear her singing manically as she banged away. I thought for a moment and decided to jam a chair under the door handle. If she decided to grind our bones for bread we wouldn't stand a chance.

Attachments

• PostcardSJPP.jpg
    PostcardSJPP.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I arrive in St Jean Pied de Port to begin the Frances. SJPP is one of my favourite places. It’s my third time here. But I’m the odd man out having done 4 other Caminos but never the Frances. It’s late August and a beautiful day as I go searching for my hostel.

The place is newer, a manageable size and run by an amenable ex-pat Australian. I rearrange my gear, head out for dinner and pass my first night. The next day, having time on my hands, I help out around the hostel. Some dishes and cleaning. Those that help out are invited to dinner. My host says see you around 7 and then as an afterthought says a late arriving volunteer will join us at dinner. There is an odd twinkle in his eye as he says this. He wants to say more but clams up. So at 7 I’m sitting at the table reaching for the wine jug when she blows in the door.

She’s Dutch. A tall striking blond woman in her forties. Trail tanned, trail tough, cheekbones that cut like a knife. She sits down and launches into her story. She had biked down from the Netherlands the previous month. Had a heart attack on the way but shook it off. Left her bike with our host and started walking the Frances. If the weather was hot she walked under the stars at night. If there was a beach she slept on it because she liked the feel of sand in her hair. She was now going to bike back to Amsterdam.

I kept her glass full and she became more animated. She would occasionally shoot to her feet and demand that we admire her hips, “I’ve lost 5 kilos!”. We admired her hips. In between glasses of wine she freshened her lips with a MAC lipstick. Coral I think. She may have said she used to be a super model. If my attention wavered she punched me in the shoulder….hard.

Dinner wound down and she shot to her feet a final time. She was in charge! We were to go to bed immediately! She would clean up and bake bread for breakfast.

The men retreated to our dorm. By silent assent we locked our door. Down below we could hear her singing manically as she banged away. I thought for a moment and decided to jam a chair under the door handle. If she decided to grind our bones for bread we wouldn't stand a chance.

The Frances has the magic!

Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.