Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Diomondi or Chantada? (In the winter)

WestKirsty

Time of past OR future Camino
Next up: Viejo/Olvidado
Hi! I was wondering if I could get some perspectives from the Invierno alumni. I am planning to walk the Invierno over the Christmas break later this year (I've got a while yet but I'm getting exciting planning already!). I really appreciate @Athena Atterdag's incredibly helpful post and, after reading it, figured I would follow her stages - with just one adjustment to stay in the new albergue at Diomondi.

I've read more threads on here, though, and am having second thoughts due to its location. I like a quiet Camino and don't mind staying alone in albergues but how remote is Diomondi? One post mentioned Cantina Mean nearby, but I suspect there's a good chance it won't be open when I'm there. Of course, I can pack in food but I suppose my question is would you feel ok staying there alone in winter? It looks incredible and I imagine it would be an experience! I do love old, historic buildings. But since there's a reasonable chance I'd be there alone, is it worth it? Or should I plan to walk to Chantada where there are more facilities/people about?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
K

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think if you are going to walk the Invierno at any time of year, you will have to get used to being on your own. The Diomondi albergue didn't exist when we walked the Invierno so I can't comment on it, but it can't be any more remote than other places on that route, and we did stay at albergues where we had to carry in our own food. If it were me, I'd stay there and maybe you'll have a chance to go inside the church.DSC04680.JPG

One good thing about the services on the Invierno is that though there are fewer than on most other caminos, they are not pilgrim-dependent. So I think it’s very possible/likely that the cantina will be open (a quick call could confirm that, though, since you are in Spain). Having said that, I do know that Torre Vilariño closes for a month, maybe November, but that’s vacation, not because of the camino.

Diomondi is not remote, it is in a rural area on a road, with houses scattered along the road. I wouldn’t think twice about staying there alone in any season.

Lucky you to walk the Invierno in the invierno.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Diomondi is not remote, it is in a rural area on a road, with houses scattered along the road. I wouldn’t think twice about staying there alone in any season.

Lucky you to walk the Invierno in the invierno.

Thanks for this! One of the posts here used the phrase "middle of nowhere" when talking about Diomondi so the image in my mind was different from a rural area with houses about. This is just fine!

I need to contain my excitement about this Camino...Christmas is still a long way off!

would you feel ok staying there alone in winter?
I'd do so in an eye-blink!
It was not there when I walked and is a wonderful addition to the Invierno.
As Laurie said, there are houses nearby so it's not completely isolated.
One option for food is to stop by Torre Vilariño for lunch and get dinner to take away. They have wonderful food!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks so much for the replies and food ideas! They are much appreciated :)

I somehow envisioned myself alone, in an isolated building with a storm raging outside (I always assume the worst with the weather) and it made me question my original idea. I will question it no more!

(But yes, the storm is still possible...could be fun though!)

Hi again! Just a note in case others are thinking of walking this route over the Christmas break. I saw a post on Facebook from someone planning to walk over this period as well. They contacted Diomondi to confirm if it will be open and was told they haven't decided yet, but sounds like it could be closed. Understandable for that time of year.

I thought I'd call myself and ask (and maybe if they know there might be demand, that could factor in the decision) but they hung up on me!

I'll try calling again closer to the date but just wanted to give anyone else planning the Invierno for Christmas/New Year's a heads up - call ahead as even if a place says it's open all year round on Gronze, they might be closed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They contacted Diomondi to confirm if it will be open and was told they haven't decided yet, but sounds like it could be closed. Understandable for that time of year.

I have had a WhatsApp from Susana at Torre Vilariño. She confirms that Torre Vilariño only closes for the month of November. That’s a good option, IMHO.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My 2 Inviernos were in 2019 & 2021, both in November. This explains why I never found them open.
I'm planning to walk the Invierno from Nov 24th to Dec 5th. I'm definitely going to phone ahead to check albergue and/or other accommodation options are open - but can I ask if, in general, you found accommodation options in most stages without having to take cabs/trains etc? My planned stages at the mo are:
Medulas
O Barco
A Rua
Quiroga
A Pobra
Monforte
Diamonde
Rodeiro
Lalin
Bandeira
Outeiro
SdC

I'm expecting it to be very quiet, but did you encounter any other Pilgrims on your camino's?

I'm planning to walk the Invierno from Nov 24th to Dec 5th. I'm definitely going to phone ahead to check albergue and/or other accommodation options are open - but can I ask if, in general, you found accommodation options in most stages without having to take cabs/trains etc? My planned stages at the mo are:
Medulas
O Barco
A Rua
Quiroga
A Pobra
Monforte
Diamonde
Rodeiro
Lalin
Bandeira
Outeiro
SdC

I'm expecting it to be very quiet, but did you encounter any other Pilgrims on your camino's?

Hi,

The only place on your list witout accomodation is A Pobra.

I meet pilgrims from time to time when I am on the Invierno, but not many. Last summer I only saw 1 between Ponferrada and Santiago. But you will walk in late autumn/winter: I think there is a possibility you won't meet anyone!

Medulas
O Barco
A Rua
Quiroga
A Pobra
Monforte
Diamonde
Rodeiro
Lalin
Bandeira
Outeiro
SdC

Trish, there is no Albergue in A Pobra. The alternatives are Barxa de Lor (Casa Pacita) highly recommended or in Castroncelos, the town prior to A Pobra. Both of these are private accommodations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

The only place on your list witout accomodation is A Pobra.

I meet pilgrims from time to time when I am on the Invierno, but not many. Last summer I only saw 1 between Ponferrada and Santiago. But you will walk in late autumn/winter: I think there is a possibility you won't meet anyone!
Thanks for the info. I was expecting it to be a quiet one. I speak a smattering of Spanish, so hope I can at least find a few locals along the way to converse with!

Trish, there is no Albergue in A Pobra. The alternatives are Barxa de Lor (Casa Pacita) highly recommended or in Castroncelos, the town prior to A Pobra. Both of these are private accommodations.
Thanks. Its strange, as Brierley goes into detail about how the Mayor of A Pobra is keen to support Pilgrims and opens the sports hall next to the college for accommodation (Polydeportivo)? I did also notice that there is potential accommodation just off route in Castroncelos/Salcedo as you describe. I'll check all options and worst case, I'll prepare myself for a long day and continue to Monforte.

It’s the eternal hope for A Pobra & nothing ever materializes there for places to stay. Castroncelos is slightly over 3 km of the Camino & more for tourists than Peregrinos, IMO.
Quiroga to Monforte is about 40 km! It is a very beautiful stretch.
Yes, it is rare to meet Peregrinos & it may get lonely, however, the locals are welcoming and wonderful. Buen Camino 🚶🏽‍♀️🎒.
Aymarah

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It’s the eternal hope for A Pobra & nothing ever materializes there for places to stay. Castroncelos is slightly over 3 km of the Camino & more for tourists than Peregrinos, IMO.
Quiroga to Monforte is about 40 km! It is a very beautiful stretch.
Yes, it is rare to meet Peregrinos & it may get lonely, however, the locals are welcoming and wonderful. Buen Camino 🚶🏽‍♀️🎒.
Aymarah
Actually, just re-looked at this and realised it makes more sense to break the stage at Labrada de Lor. I've just messaged Casa Pacita to check if they will be open (I'm sure I read a thread somewhere that the owner had passed away?).

Actually, just re-looked at this and realised it makes more sense to break the stage at Labrada de Lor. I've just messaged Casa Pacita to check if they will be open (I'm sure I read a thread somewhere that the owner had passed away?).
Update: All booked into Casa Pacita. Yay!

Pacita’s son is running it now. Check to see whether they will have food available when you are there. The medieval bridge and walk next to the river is beautiful and I loved the slight ascent bordering the river towards a church on the hill the next day. There is a stone bridge right over the river entering A Pobra that if the river is high can’t be walked, but you can continue into town and cross over the pedestrian/vehicle bridge nearby. There are several places for breakfast in A Pobra & friendly people.

Attachments

• FDEE367D-C6FB-4B0B-9061-F1594C97F99E.jpeg
    FDEE367D-C6FB-4B0B-9061-F1594C97F99E.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • F493E23E-E4A9-48D3-AEA0-3DAA4F71888E.jpeg
    F493E23E-E4A9-48D3-AEA0-3DAA4F71888E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 2A8149E8-E36C-40A5-B46D-A7C2260366EA.jpeg
    2A8149E8-E36C-40A5-B46D-A7C2260366EA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 51CDA466-D12A-4CA4-A445-149EE5C70C40.jpeg
    51CDA466-D12A-4CA4-A445-149EE5C70C40.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 6D88FB26-82E1-474B-A791-CCEAD8A42C1A.jpeg
    6D88FB26-82E1-474B-A791-CCEAD8A42C1A.jpeg
    774.6 KB · Views: 12
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pacita’s son is running it now. Check to see whether they will have food available when you are there. The medieval bridge and walk next to the river is beautiful and I loved the slight ascent bordering the river towards a church on the hill the next day. There is a stone bridge right over the river entering A Pobra that if the river is high can’t be walked, but you can continue into town and cross over the pedestrian/vehicle bridge nearby. There are several places for breakfast in A Pobra & friendly people.
Looks beautiful. Really looking forward to it.

It was the owners wife who passed away. I stayed at Casa Pacita last week and Josè and his son were both there. They are two very nice people and José senior, will speak with great pride about his aguardienté (which is very good). A really enjoyable evening

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.