• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Direct Flights from Santiago to Ireland

goods

Hi all

New to the forum. Planning on doing the Camino Frances at the end of Sept.
Just wondering are there any direct flights to Ireland from Santiago, as im doing it cycling and dont fancy putting the bike on lots of planes .
Or what would be the nearest airport to Santiago that has direct flights to Ireland.

Cheers

Brendan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are just out of luck with Aer Lingus to Dublin.
"Flights do not operate on your selected travel date/s. Aer Lingus operates from May 2 2009 - Sep 19 2009 on days Tue and Sat "

Madrid is probably your closest after the 19th

Hmmm.. yes, via Madrid or Stansted with RyanAir is one option.

There is an airport in Porto with quite a good selection of flights as well, but not sure if they fly to Ireland (Ryanair does not).

I would look at flying out of one of these airports:
Santiago
La Coruña
Vigo
Porto

...but most likely you need one stop over.

Buen camino!
Ivar

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone looking for advice. I have planning my journey for several months in blissful ignorance as I thought there was two direct flights to Santiago from Dublin. But they don't start in march!

Any advice on best route to Santiago in march 2013? I have only one week and
planning to walk from Sarria the week before Easter. Any advice appreciated.

Hi,
I am from Ireland, Tipperary, and am a sailor as well as a prospective pelegrino (later this year), and have spent part of this summer sailing the Rias Baixas, the lovely Ria's from Finisterre to Vigo.
As well as using the Aer Lingus flights in the summer, I have also flown to Porto and Santander with Ryanair.
I travelled either by (one way drop) rental car (if arriving in Spain), or on the train, from Portugal, and found both reasonably priced and reasonably efficient, they take a few additional hours, but you save vast amounts of money compared to the (time) and cost of internal flights connections on Iberia and other Spanish airlines (like Veuling) to get you to Santiago from Madrid.
Another choice is to connect through London Stanstead, so you take 2 flights, both with Ryanair, some friends came this way to Santiago with no problems just a longish stopover, the winter schedule however might not work quite so well?
Hope this helps
If all else fails you can always walk - I'm told! There is a Camino to suit!

Hello,

I'm walking from Sarria to Santiago in October,and will be flying to Porto from Dublin.

The Alsa bus from Porto to Santiago leaves at 13.00 and takes approx 6 hours. This might mean an overnight in Santiago though.

Considering the alternative of flying Dublin to Stansted /Santiago. ( The Santiago flights leave about 8 am) How do you get to Stansted at that ungodly hour?

Whichever way you choose, Bon Camino.

An t-adh leat .

Terence.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In the seasons when there aren't direct flights from Dublin, I assume by making a single booking (probably with Iberia or part of its alliance) the bike or other luggage would be transferred automatically in Madrid without you having to shift it yourself from one flight to the next. It might be a bit more expensive than organising separate flights yourself, but you could get a good deal if you're lucky.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.