• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Directions

jrviegas

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
As we make our preparations for our first Camino From Valenca to Santiago, I have what may be a very basic question.
What directions do you follow once you start walking? Are they marked out on the road, pathways? Do you use a paper map, smartphone app with guided directions like Waze? Ask people you meet?
Many thanks
Joseph

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As we make our preparations for our first Camino From Valenca to Santiago, I have what may be a very basic question.
What directions do you follow once you start walking? Are they marked out on the road, pathways? Do you use a paper map, smartphone app with guided directions like Waze? Ask people you meet?
Many thanks
Joseph
Camino paths are generally pretty well marked, follow the yellow arrows! In towns they will be on the sides of buildings or on the pavement, on trails on markers or rocks. The CaminoNinja app ( Caminho Portugues Central for your route) will help keep you on the path as you walk, just select where you are starting and ending the day and follow the little red line. I found this app really useful, especially for finding my way out of cities in the mornings. If you do get lost, people will gladly help you find your way!

You will quickly get used to spotting the arrows. Many of us also like to have the track on an app such as maps.me, so we can see exactly where we are, but it is not necessary if you are walking one of the popular routes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many thanks
Joseph
I used the Buen Camino App for the Frances and found it pretty useful. You should also get a guidebook even if you don't bring it, it will give you a lot of information. The Village to Village series is just maps. I used one for the English route and it worked well for me too.

Camino paths are generally pretty well marked, follow the yellow arrows! In towns they will be on the sides of buildings or on the pavement, on trails on markers or rocks. The CaminoNinja app ( Caminho Portugues Central for your route) will help keep you on the path as you walk, just select where you are starting and ending the day and follow the little red line. I found this app really useful, especially for finding my way out of cities in the mornings. If you do get lost, people will gladly help you find your way!
Many thanks @K_Lynn I will try out those apps

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used the Buen Camino App for the Frances and found it pretty useful. You should also get a guidebook even if you don't bring it, it will give you a lot of information. The Village to Village series is just maps. I used one for the English route and it worked well for me too.
Thanks Bill. I have downloaded some e-versions of the guidebooks

Many thanks @K_Lynn I will try out those apps
Please don't spend your Camino walking along with your nose in a smartphone. You will miss so much.

I realise that before you start for the first time that it seems mysterious and worrying but I had some of my best adventures on the two times that I was temporarily "lost".

You will become adept at spotting signs. Try your self on the ones below. Top marks if you spot the sign in every photo and double marks for experienced Pilgrims who can name where each sign is without looking at the photo metadata.

IMG_20190516_080758831.jpgIMG_20190516_115454059.jpgIMG_20190518_090851305.jpgIMG_20190521_103147608.jpgIMG_20190521_103420238-EFFECTS.jpgIMG_20190521_112105382.jpgIMG_20190521_143749797.jpgIMG_20190528_091109258.jpgIMG_20190528_091305520.jpgIMG_20190528_091540201.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In some smaller villages along the Portguese Coastal Route, we had locals point us back to the camino - even when we deliberately exploring somewhere else. Their kindness was wonderful and appreciated.

Please don't spend your Camino walking along with your nose in a smartphone. You will miss so much.

I realise that before you start for the first time that it seems mysterious and worrying but I had some of my best adventures on the two times that I was temporarily "lost".

You will become adept at spotting signs. Try your self on the ones below. Top marks if you spot the sign in every photo and double marks for experienced Pilgrims who can name where each sign is without looking at the photo metadata.

View attachment 131459View attachment 131460View attachment 131461View attachment 131462View attachment 131463View attachment 131464View attachment 131465View attachment 131466View attachment 131467View attachment 131468
Makes total sense. I find that when I hike, I spend more time looking where my next step goes rather than at my surroundings. Maybe my age but I am trying consciously to change that :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many thanks
Joseph
We walked the Camino Portuguese in the Spring, and we used Camino Ninja quite a bit when we wanted to verify that we were heading in the right direction. There are many yellow arrows, signs, and we also had people from rooftops pointing us in the right way!!!

Don't just follow the herd...they may be going the wrong direction!

Always have a book, map, or app for directions. Often there are multiple routes to the same destination. Would you rather walk a short route along a busy road or a slight longer route through a peaceful forest? Both paths will be marked with the same yellow arrows.

-Paul

Always have a book, map, or app for directions.
Pfft, such instructions are for people who have no adventure in their lives. With the sea on your left and the sun ahead just keep walking and you will get there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In Valenca the Portuguese camino goes through the fortress... there only one way to go towards Spain, so you won`t have any trouble there :)

The trail is very well marked, just follow the yellow arrows and have fun! I had a guidebook, but only used it at night, reading about the following day ahead. Never got lost.

Many thanks
Joseph
Suggestion; use Camino Ninja app. I've used it in last 3 Caminos. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back