• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dirty Girl Gaiters

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did you know that you can get special Camino-themed gaiters? Check out these from Dirty Girl Gaiters:

I have no affiliation with this company, just thought I would share! I ordered some for my new Altra trail runners.

Buen Camino Y’all!
What is the point of gaiters on the Camino - or anywhere? Do they help to keep the dirt and rain out of your shoes?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
What is the point of gaiters on the Camino - or anywhere? Do they help to keep the dirt and rain out of your shoes?

Dirty Girl gaiters are extremely lightweight, non-waterproof, and very breathable. They do not keep water out, but then no gaiter is really capable of doing that. There purpose is to help keep the intrusion of trail debris, like dirt and pebbles and small bits of twig and pine needles, etc from getting into the shoe.

You see a lot of experienced backpackers wearing them in the US.

Overall, they work well. Does one need them? No; but they can help keep socks a bit cleaner and reduce the time spend dumping stuff out of a shoe. :)

My 'trail name' on the CF in 2012 was Pebbles because I kept having to take my shoes off and shake the assorted debris out of them, so I am very happy to have my DGGs! They also keep my socks and shoes marginally cleaner, they brighten up my day and they have been the icebreaker for many conversations on the way! (mine are Pretty Kitty, if anyone wondered)
dgg pretty kitty.jpg

Dirty Girl gaiters are extremely lightweight, non-waterproof, and very breathable. They do not keep water out, but then no gaiter is really capable of doing that. There purpose is to help keep the intrusion of trail debris, like dirt and pebbles and small bits of twig and pine needles, etc from getting into the shoe.

You see a lot of experienced backpackers wearing them in the US.

Overall, they work well. Does one need them? No; but they can help keep socks a bit cleaner and reduce the time spend dumping stuff out of a shoe. :)
Thank you for your information. To be honest I have never seen any one use them here in San Diego and I do lots of hiking in Southern California. Maybe some of us are behind the times as they do look pretty snazzy.
I remember when I lived in England 50 years ago men would wear ugly waterproof gaiters over their shoes when it rained.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wore them last year, and befriended a guy in our first Albergue who also wore them. (They are not just for girls!) I find they help divert both rain and dust.

Did you know that you can get special Camino-themed gaiters? Check out these from Dirty Girl Gaiters:

I have no affiliation with this company, just thought I would share! I ordered some for my new Altra trail runners.

Buen Camino Y’all!
I bought a pair of Dirty Girl gators the last 200 miles of the Appalachian Trail and found them next to useless and overpriced. The way they connect on the back (Velcro) was an afterthought and ineffective. Trail bling.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Dirty Girl gators the last 200 miles of the Appalachian Trail and found them next to useless and overpriced. The way they connect on the back (Velcro) was an afterthought and ineffective.

Isn't it funny how different people can come to differing conclusions about something like a piece of gear :)

I found them extremely useful on both my thru hikes on the Pacific Crest Trail and the Colorado Trail. I did not care for the velcro patch on the back of the shoe, but it worked for me. But, I much prefer that system for this type of gaiter than dealing with the under the shoe cord tie.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whilst visIting my daughter in Australia several years ago I noticed that many workmen wearing shorts and boots also wore small simple ankle gaiters to prevent dirt and stones getting into their boots.
They are generally made of cotton with an elasticated top and are sold in budget outlets, although there are more sophisticated, i.e. waterproof etc, models available in sports and outdoor shops.
I bought a couple of pairs similar to these http://www.morrisoutside.com.au/shop/gardening-gloves-181923624/boot-guard-heavy-duty-drill-cotton and I wore a pair when I walked the Camino Frances. They were a real boon. They are so simple to put on and take off and although not waterproof I have found that rain is prevented from entering the shoe to a substantial degree.

I have some simple cotton gaiters I bought about 10 years ago in a cheap store in Australia for about $4. I wear them almost every time I hike, trail run, and I wore them on the Camino in 2014. I have very sensitive feet and can feel each and every tiny stone and speck of dust--I love them. You can make a pair easily with a sewing machine. It has simple elastic around the ankle.

I received mine already and they seem to work perfectly with the built-in Altra gaiter traps. Now I need to get to a trail to really test them out!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whilst visIting my daughter in Australia several years ago I noticed that many workmen wearing shorts and boots also wore small simple ankle gaiters to prevent dirt and stones getting into their boots.
They are generally made of cotton with an elasticated top and are sold in budget outlets, although there are more sophisticated, i.e. waterproof etc, models available in sports and outdoor shops.
I bought a couple of pairs similar to these http://www.morrisoutside.com.au/shop/gardening-gloves-181923624/boot-guard-heavy-duty-drill-cotton and I wore a pair when I walked the Camino Frances. They were a real boon. They are so simple to put on and take off and although not waterproof I have found that rain is prevented from entering the shoe to a substantial degree.
I wear a pair of these Aussie gaiters,,and they are great for keeping out all sorts of stuff from my shoes

I found a pattern to make gaiters similar to the dirty girl gaiters. I wore them for a week or so on my first Camino, but decided that they were too much of a bother to put on take off each time I took my shoes off for a break. Yes, I am lazy.😂

I have the Altra gaiters which are set up for Altras shoes. Very similar to DGG's, but directly compatible with Altras securing points.
I love them!
They keep the "junk"out. No pebbles, grass seed, twigs etc. I tried not wearing them recently and had to stop twice for "junk" in my shoes. They weigh almost nothing and also keep your laces secure. In other words, I highly recommend them.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
They do neither effectively.

I have gaiters which do wonders in rain, keeps lower trousers dry, covered and clean. THe combination of poncho + gaiters work fine for me (ponchos leave your lower legs exposed at each step, even "filling" the boot top from above): and in mud you splatter stuff all over when walking - the velcro(mine are in front) makes them easily added/removed without taking shoes off - and for severe conditions (mud/snow) I love them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have gaiters which do wonders in rain, keeps lower trousers dry, covered and clean. THe combination of poncho + gaiters work fine for me (ponchos leave your lower legs exposed at each step, even "filling" the boot top from above): and in mud you splatter stuff all over when walking - the velcro(mine are in front) makes them easily added/removed without taking shoes off - and for severe conditions (mud/snow) I love them.
What brand/type do you use Blablah?

I got excited by the title of the thread!
Then realized I was on the wrong forum.

Joking apart, I used similar gaiters walking across France in 2015, and was really glad to have them. But ditched them when I got to Spain. In winter though well worth it.

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.