• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Disappointed

norfolk-keith

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm not long back from my Camino last month and I must say of the four Caminos I've walked this one left a bitter taste.
Now don't get me wrong I love walking the Camino and everything about it, Albergues, Sights, Churches and Cathedrals and the space when you want it but this time it was other Pilgrims that let it down.
I had been involved in an accident in the first week and had to have surgery on my elbow it was pretty horrific and I was faced with the dilemma of do I return home or not. The hospital and staff were incredibly helpful and so supportive it didn't take me long to decide to continue. I knew it wasn't going to be easy especially with my arm in a sling but I I just took my time and rested when I needed to. The crunch came on the stage into Logrono, I was booked into the Santiago Apostle Albergue which was ok, nothing special but I was feeling delicate and needed to stop. Everything started off ok, sorted out my kit and went for something to eat but the thing I needed most was sleep. When I got back I showered and went to bed and being dosed up with painkillers and antibiotics it wasn't long before I was asleep. In the morning most were rushing around getting dressed around 6am I just took things slowly in packing my gear and that's when I found out someone had stolen my wallet from my rucksack, money, bank card, credit card all gone I couldn't believe that a Pilgrim could steal from another Pilgrim. I was left with 9 Euros in change, the Albergue didn't give a dam, the local police shrugged their shoulders and it was only through my girlfriend back in England sending me money through Western Union was I able to carry on.
The only time I didn't have my wallet with me was when I showered so be warned take your money, cards even to the shower, unfortunately I don't trust anyone now and I'm planning to come back in a couple of years time once Covid has less of an impact than it currently has.
I would like to mention the true Pilgrims that I met after that that were so helpful, friendly that touched the soul, Jose, Audrey, Anastasia, Bia at the Albergue in Estella, thank you guys for giving the strength to make it to Santiago. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The only time I didn't have my wallet with me was when I showered so be warned take your money, cards even to the shower,

I always, always keep all of my valuables with me at all times.

I would like to mention the true Pilgrims that I met after that that were so helpful, friendly that touched the soul, Jose, Audrey, Anastasia, Bia at the Albergue in Estella, thank you guys for giving the strength to make it to Santiago.

So sorry that you had this bad experience. I started my first Camino after having been pickpocketed in Madrid, but that memory eventually faded, and lost its importance in my journey. Continue to focus on the good that happened on your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm so sorry to hear this. What a shock to discover that your valuables have been rifled through, and stolen, behind your back.

You did nothing wrong in trusting your fellow albergue mates. They (he or she) let you down - they did the wrong thing.

Nevertheless, a hint of caution is always advised when surrounded by people you don't know, whether walking the streets of Madrid or showering in your safe place.

I have found kindness and care to be the norm on the Camino. However, I try to not give a good person an opportunity to be bad, whether always locking my car in a parking lot or taking my fanny pack in the shower with me.

Again, you did nothing wrong.

And, btw, I hope you had a speedy and successful recovery!!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about this.
I was robbed going home from my camino in 2007 on the train from the airport in Barcelona. Lost my passport, money, cards and so on. I was not alone at the policeoffice at Sants, several people had been robbed on their way from the airport.
This incident made me very suspicious, every time I stay in crowded places, I react if somebody come too close, on later caminos I always bring my valuables with me everywhere, even in the shower. And I do bring a copy of my passport which I,did´t do in 2007.
Some years a go, walking on Camino Norte, I met a man who told me that the whole albergue he stayed at in France had been robbed during the night, all backpacks had disappeared. He thought they had been gassed.The local police had given them a small backpack to help them out. Life is not always easy, even not on the camino.

I am sorry that happened to you, and on the Camino I have met other pilgrims who were victims of crime. Having been a victim of thefts at home I know it just plain sucks and it does leave a feeling of being violated.
The humanoid parasites of the world unfortunately are drawn to gatherings of humans.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry to hear about this.
I was robbed going home from my camino in 2007 on the train from the airport in Barcelona. Lost my passport, money, cards and so on. I was not alone at the policeoffice at Sants, several people had been robbed on their way from the airport.
This incident made me very suspicious, every time I stay in crowded places, I react if somebody come too close, on later caminos I always bring my valuables with me everywhere, even in the shower. And I do bring a copy of my passport which I,did´t do in 2007.
Some years a go, walking on Camino Norte, I met a man who told me that the whole albergue he stayed at in France had been robbed during the night, all backpacks had disappeared. He thought they had been gassed.The local police had given them a small backpack to help them out. Life is not always easy, even not on the camino.
I've always tried to remember that just about everything I have can be replaced - money, credit cards, even passports. However, the one thing that is irreplaceable and would break my heart if it got lost or stolen is my credencial. I always carry it with me and check it numerous times a day.

I am so, so sorry this happened to you! 🙁 Especially after your ordeal 😢
I hope you are well into recovery.
The Camino is part of our normal world. Let’s not treat it differently.
The Camino is special - to us. The people on it are the same as everywhere 🙁

I couldn't believe that a Pilgrim could steal from another Pilgrim.
I would be quite confident that it was not another Pilgrim who was walking to Santiago. It was someone who was posing as a pilgrim in the albergue, for this purpose.
unfortunately I don't trust anyone now and I'm planning to come back in a couple of years time once Covid has less of an impact than it currently has.
This was a very unfortunate and unhappy event. But thefts have happened on the Camino and off, for centuries. You had bad luck - first from your accident that left you vulnerable and secondly from being found by a thief. This was not particularly the result of Covid, so please don't delay your return on that account!
the Albergue didn't give a dam, the local police shrugged their shoulders
This is disappointing. Let's hope that they took your report seriously - even if they figured they were unable to recover your items, perhaps they will be more watchful, so it is important that you reported it!

I hope your arm heals well, and quickly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So sorry to hear this. Am currently on Camino and I can see how easy it is to let one’s guard down, given the ethos of trust that the camino engenders. For example, our albergue owner left her property in the hands of three conplete strangers (two other pilgrims plus me) while she went off to the supermarket for provisions. Unthinkable in a big city, but this is one of the wonders (for me, at least) of the camino experience.

Sorry this happened.

Thank goodness you had strength of heart, mind, body, and resources to continue.

In 2002, a young pilgrim left his fanny pack hanging on bed post in an albergue while he went for a morning shower.

Upon return pack with: passport, pilgrim’s passport, money, tickets, everything gone.

Always, always take valuables with you everywhere: showers, quick bit to eat, everywhere.

Always, always take valuables with you everywhere: showers, quick bit to eat, everywhere
Amen! Thankfully I learned this on the forum before my first Camino. My valables never leave my waistpack all day, which never leaves my waist, and are never kept in my backpack. It also "follows" me into the shower and end of day my waistpack goes in the bottom of my sleeping bag. It is never left unattended....have I said enough?🙂

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm not long back from my Camino last month and I must say of the four Caminos I've walked this one left a bitter taste.
Now don't get me wrong I love walking the Camino and everything about it, Albergues, Sights, Churches and Cathedrals and the space when you want it but this time it was other Pilgrims that let it down.
I had been involved in an accident in the first week and had to have surgery on my elbow it was pretty horrific and I was faced with the dilemma of do I return home or not. The hospital and staff were incredibly helpful and so supportive it didn't take me long to decide to continue. I knew it wasn't going to be easy especially with my arm in a sling but I I just took my time and rested when I needed to. The crunch came on the stage into Logrono, I was booked into the Santiago Apostle Albergue which was ok, nothing special but I was feeling delicate and needed to stop. Everything started off ok, sorted out my kit and went for something to eat but the thing I needed most was sleep. When I got back I showered and went to bed and being dosed up with painkillers and antibiotics it wasn't long before I was asleep. In the morning most were rushing around getting dressed around 6am I just took things slowly in packing my gear and that's when I found out someone had stolen my wallet from my rucksack, money, bank card, credit card all gone I couldn't believe that a Pilgrim could steal from another Pilgrim. I was left with 9 Euros in change, the Albergue didn't give a dam, the local police shrugged their shoulders and it was only through my girlfriend back in England sending me money through Western Union was I able to carry on.
The only time I didn't have my wallet with me was when I showered so be warned take your money, cards even to the shower, unfortunately I don't trust anyone now and I'm planning to come back in a couple of years time once Covid has less of an impact than it currently has.
I would like to mention the true Pilgrims that I met after that that were so helpful, friendly that touched the soul, Jose, Audrey, Anastasia, Bia at the Albergue in Estella, thank you guys for giving the strength to make it to Santiago. Buen Camino
sad to hear that, sadly the Camino seems to gather unsavory people with no conscience of what will this individual do if I take all his his means of survival.

"the Albergue didn't give a damn, the local police shrugged their shoulders" This is very disappointing. The Albergue should care and the police should try to do something because Spain and many of their citizens rely on the money/income that comes from the pilgrims. If it became too dangerous to walk the Camino, people might stop doing it and head to other Caminos that exist around the world.

Last edited:
the local police shrugged their shoulders
I am very sorry to hear this, @norfolk-keith. It’s a bad experience, but fortunately I think it is a one-off. I say that based on personal experience and a number of first hand stories on the forum.

I do remember back in the 80s that I got some of that shoulder-shrugging in response to my accounts of being flashed, but even in that decade I sometimes found that police were engaged and wanted to help track the perps down. These days, I think it’s safe to say that the police forces are really focused on keeping the camino safe, so I am sorry that you had this experience.

There are many different branches of “police” in Spain, and I think pilgrims are most likely to come in contact with the Guardia Civil (national police) or the municipal officers. País Vasco and Catalunya also have their own regional police forces, and I’m sure there are others I am not mentioning. ANYWAY… my point is only that even though there are occasionial reports like this, pilgrims ought to always seek out police help and report bad incidents. Odds are very high you will get a good response.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry to hear this but you meet the good, the bad, the ugly on the camino, but you persevered and won through. Well done.

I learned on my first Camino that if I couldn't afford to lose something I needed to keep it close to me always. What reinforced that lesson was an incident at an albergue I was staying at where someone stole from three pilgrims who had left their valuables on their beds mid-afternoon. I was lucky, I had my valuables with me. From then on I made sure my money, credit & debit cards, phone and passport stayed with me everywhere including inside the shower stall (wrapped in plastic of course). I was not put off by this but considered it a lesson learned and had a good time on the rest of my camino.

Are you still on the camino? or was this an earlier incident?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am so sorry this happened the injury and theft. Realistically what could the Albergue or even the Police do about a quick theft?Unfortunately no matter where you travel you have to keep your valuables with you including using a waterproof bag for your valuables in the shower or a trusted person watching over them while you shower. Whenever wherever you travel precautions and awareness are a must, I do not believe the Camino is a mystical place that has a special protection over it that keeps all the bad people away. That being said as you well know there are always wonderful people around that will try to give help to others, let those memories shine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry this happened to you. I always took a dry bag with my fresh clothes, towel, soap, passport, wallet, pilgrim's passport, phone, etc., when I showered. I used a hero clip to hang my dry bag from edge of the door. I slept with my wallet and passport. I'm in a foreign country, far from home, surrounded by strangers...no way I'm taking a chance and having to deal with that nonsense. I've always been a bit paranoid when it comes to my wallet, passport, phone, etc., but it has served me well. I met some great people on the camino, no doubt there were amazing pilgrims that you met along the way, but there is always that camouflaged douche that infiltrates the crowd-and one is all it takes. Learn from this and move on. God bless and buen future caminos.

Last edited:
I am so sorry that happened. Thieves are the worst. Glad you finished and way to go!! It's great that you persevered.

So sorry to read this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I took my valuables with me to shower in a dry bag. I also slept with my valuables in a money belt under my clothes (including my cellphone). I thought that it might be uncomfortable, but since I was laying down, it never interfered with my sleep. Maybe it allowed me to sleep more securely.

Amen! Thankfully I learned this on the forum before my first Camino. My valables never leave my waistpack all day, which never leaves my waist, and are never kept in my backpack. It also "follows" me into the shower and end of day my waistpack goes in the bottom of my sleeping bag. It is never left unattended....have I said enough?🙂
Please bear in mind that it is not unknown for thieves to slit the bottom of sleeping bags to steal your valuables.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@norfolk-keith So so sorry you had such a rough start to the Camino and that you were robbed. To even go through surgery in a foreign country and then to keep going on the Camino - that is admirable. Thanks for sharing your story here. Hope your credit card, bank card, and other valuable items from your wallet could be replaced quickly and that you can get some great rest now that you're at home.

Don't shove it all the way down to the bottom!
My boots and wet socks are down there to dry (old army trick). You are welcome to help yourself stealing my old socks. A warning: My valuables are close to my head. Together with my knife. Be my guest. Make my day. I am old and dangerous.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would be quite confident that it was not another Pilgrim who was walking to Santiago. It was someone who was posing as a pilgrim in the albergue, for this purpose.

This was a very unfortunate and unhappy event. But thefts have happened on the Camino and off, for centuries. You had bad luck - first from your accident that left you vulnerable and secondly from being found by a thief. This was not particularly the result of Covid, so please don't delay your return on that account!

This is disappointing. Let's hope that they took your report seriously - even if they figured they were unable to recover your items, perhaps they will be more watchful, so it is important that you reported it!

I hope your arm heals well, and quickly.
A few years ago, the police apprehended a gang from Bilbao doing precisely that - wandering into one of the larger, more crowded albergues and wandering out with a wallet or mobile before being recognised or challenged. It is a common modus operandi for pickpockets. The advice (if you are a lone pilgrim) would be take your small valuables with you into the bathroom, or ask someone who is obviously another pilgrim to watch them for you.

This is so sad. I'm nonetheless grateful that you shared this story as thievery has been a feature
of the camino for over a thousand years. It is a useful reminder to those of us veterans as well as first timers: always keep your valuables with you or pass them to a partner or trusted fellow walker. We pilgrims are indeed targets of opportunity.

What an amazing person you are Norfolk Keith. I know what it’s like to keep going on a Camino with an injury❣️ To complete your Camino with an injury, to keep going after the robbery is truly inspiring. I can only imagine how that robbery made you feel and am sorry and disgusted at the same time. As many have said professional thieves sometimes pose as pilgrims and now that the Caminos are opening up again the thieves will be back also. I’m so glad you met some wonderful helpful people who will have made the unfortunate experiences that much easier to bare.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a small pouch, about 100mm x 120mm and very thin, just big enough to hold my passport, pilgrim's passport, money card and cash. It is on an elastic belt that goes around my waist under my trousers. It never comes off except in the shower where I have a suction-cup hook that I fix to the shower wall just above the shower head where I can keep an eye on it. I also sleep with it on without problems. This allows me to visit the toilet during the night and take it with me without having to think about it while I am half asleep.

Then I'm doomed. I guess I'll have to take my chances...or do you have any suggestions?🤔
Camino Chrissy, I do the same thing. I keep my butt pack with my stuff in the bottom of my sleeping bag when I sleep. If the thief is THAT determined to slit the bag WHILE I SLEEP INSIDE IT . . . well, I guess I wouldn't argue at that point.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Fellow Pilgrims
Thank you for your kind words and thoughts they are much appreciated. I have always looked upon my fellow Pilgrims as friends and will continue to do so but probably with a bit more caution now. I intend to return in 2022/3 depending on the Covid situation to walk one more time whilst I can and without the heartache and I intend walking all the way to Finisterre, this will be my birthday wish and present to myself. Buen Camino Friends

Fellow Pilgrims
Thank you for your kind words and thoughts they are much appreciated. I have always looked upon my fellow Pilgrims as friends and will continue to do so but probably with a bit more caution now. I intend to return in 2022/3 depending on the Covid situation to walk one more time whilst I can and without the heartache and I intend walking all the way to Finisterre, this will be my birthday wish and present to myself. Buen Camino Friends
Your intention sounds great! Buen Camino!!

Keith, two thoughts.

1. Nobody sets out to be robbed and the vast majority take entirely sensible precautions without being paranoid but everyone (that’s EVERYONE, folks) can be distracted, have a momentary lack of attention or just be plain unlucky, no matter how organised they are. It happens. Those offering the ‘don’t run with scissors’ advice might want to consider that? You seem to have got the incident in perspective, nobody died, nothing caught fire and you’re planning on doing it again. Good man.

2. You’ve got a girlfriend. You’re not dead yet! You’ve probably got more than one Camino left in you.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.