• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Disappointment at Ponferada mega albergue

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
I checked into the albergue at 1330 made a donation based on previous experience. I was taken to my bed in the cellar! 50 or more beds no windows or fresh air. Every arrival was put in the cellar, the upstairs 4-6 bed rooms were not being allocated. My donation was based on the expectation of one of the normal rooms not the overflow space in a cellar

Does anyone know why, the hospitalaros explanation was poor, he claimed the top rooms are only used in winter, i have stayrd in the 4 bed rooms upstairs during two trevios summers, i suspect bed bugs?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rmibdc

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Re: Ponferada has gone from best mega albergue to worst

I was a hospitalera at Ponferrada three years ago. I can´t address your immediate circumstance, but I can make a couple of informed generalizations based on my experience there:

You are walking in June, with a ton of pilgrims walking with you. The mega-albergue in Ponferrada fills up fast, starting in late April and continuing right through September. It is unrealistic to expect to get a "better" bed every time you stop. The ground-floor, four-bunk rooms you stayed in before are filled first. If you did not see anyone using them, it may be because this is a parochial albergue, and the parish that runs it has priority in its use -- they may have had a retreat or visiting church group scheduled for those places. (The winter-time rooms the hospitalero referred to are probably the ones on the top floor, where the hospitaleros and visiting clergy stay in summertime.)

The basement is a backup, but with so many pilgrims using the albergue it has become as heavily used as the upstairs rooms. You had some bad luck, but so did the 50 or so people in the room with you. You all got beds and showers and use of a kitchen, for 5 or so Euros. At that price, you can´t expect to have all your expectations met. If you were that unhappy you should have found someplace else to stay.

Broadcasting your unproven suspicion that a place has bedbugs is really unfair and destructive. I hope you keep walking, pal. The camino´s not finished with you.

Ponferada has gone from best mega albergue to worst

The overflow was filled first, upstairs is locked with matresses stacked on the beds (as seen from the street) i was informed by a hospitalaro at a previous albergue that ponferada had a recent bed bug problem, if the normal rooms are available why fill the overflow? First. I have been there 3 previous years and the way it is operated seems strange? If they have a BB problem they certainly would not tell the pylgrims, their excuse for not allocating the top 4 bed rooms seems flawed, they claim they only use those rooms in winter?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?px14qd

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

A REMINDER.......Please do not open multiple threads regarding the same topic. This is the third thread by the same member on the same topic...please observe the forum rules.

I find it hard to believe that one personal bad experience deserves such a damning headline. I also hope we don't need to go down the road of the tabloid press in basing such serious claims as those about bedbugs on such flimsy hearsay.

Regards

D-F
I find it hard to believe it has taken you 2 days to impart your opinion, what plausable excuse can you provide for closing all the accomodation except for the overflow cellar in such a loverly albergue as Ponferrada? I am sure you can come up with many, complete with internet links.

REGARDS :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Look we are all blessed to walk our camino's, enjoy enjoy enjoy.

I am sure ones feet hurt a lot more than anything else.........never seen anyone chop their feet off :lol: :lol: :lol:

ffp13 said:
what plausable excuse can you provide for closing all the accomodation except for the overflow cellar in such a loverly albergue as Ponferrada?
There doesn't need to be an excuse. The problem is often with our expectations. What more do we need than a shower, a mattress and a roof over our head?

We are fortunate that there are hospitaleros to look after the albergues. It's not our place to decide how they do that nor to question their decisions.

Perhaps there were bedbugs, perhaps not. It's immaterial. BBs can be found in the best of hotels and are only a reflection of the accommodation if the area is left untreated.

At the crux ferros I cast my stone, this was to be symbolic for casting away my intolerence, my tenancy to be judgmental, my inability to accept what i cannot change and not dwell on it! I must admit i have failed when it came to Ponferada, but I will not give up!

If you go to Ponferrada in the near future you will most likely not get the 4 bed rooms as promoted in the guide books but instead be placed in the cellar with 50 or so other pylgrims, but one thing you can be certain of is that the hospitalaros will be very welcoming, helpful and friendly! They certainly were for me. If there is a problem with the upsairs accomodation i hope the resolve it soon, as my previous stays at this albergue were a highlight of my earlier caminos, as a mega albergue it was exeptional.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?21umye

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Re: Ponferada albergue

ffp13 said:
D-F
I find it hard to believe it has taken you 2 days to impart your opinion, what plausable excuse can you provide for closing all the accomodation except for the overflow cellar in such a loverly albergue as Ponferrada? I am sure you can come up with many, complete with internet links.

REGARDS :)
ffp13

My most sincere apologies for not instantly responding! I seem to recall being busy this last weekend assisting with setting up for the local Walking Carnival, competing in it or assisting with the conduct of the Carnival once my event was over. I should have realised that you were going to make your post and adjusted my priorities accordingly :twisted:

I was tempted to agree that the hospitaleros should have provided an explanation. If they were dealing with a problem by quarantining areas of the albergue, I think I would have wanted to know what risks this might have involved in staying in the other areas, and have been given the choice whether to stay or not. Giving you an explanation so that you could make a properly informed choice about staying seems to be something that could and should have been done.

Regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
heard so many people complaining about this place. Some went up to some kitchen to sleep only to find others already there sleeping . Must be bad. I intentionally missed it. With Hundreds of nice private albergues on the camino is there a need to stay in the larger muncipal ones? I really don't get it. Like in Samos lot of people went to the monastery one and gave the 5 euro donation, while infront there was a lovely private albergue for 8 euros.

is it a Money issue or a "experience the camino thing"? Also if you arrive early you are waiting outside or queuing.

There is only one albergue in ponferrada, the templar castle and history make it an essential stop for many pilgrims

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tyr314

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looks like there is a benefit in being a woman in her sixties after all! I have stayed here three times now, most recently in May 2012 and always been taken to the 4/6 bed rooms on the ground floor.
In desperation even took advantage of the first aid station for my blisters .I was told to ditch the compeed (which had not been working anyway) and use Betadine Gel,dry guaze and pink tape . They started healing almost immediately. So I really have good feelings about the place.
Cheers
Heather

When all rooms are available it is an ok place to stay for a very large albergue,

No-one seems to have an answer why all the rooms on the first floor are not available this year? I have a friend who will be a hospitalaro in the near future, maybe then I will get my answers rather than try to second guess what may be wrong?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pftnxt

Re: Ponferada albergue

I stayed in the large albergue on June 17, 2012. I was in a room with 3 bunks. I was very pleased with the covered clothes lines. Nice to have in case of rain. I didn't understand the long wait to get a bed but assumed that there was purpose for my wait and used the time to chat with other pilgrims. The only time I was a bit surprised w the accommodations was in Foncebadon- we were up tiny stairs in the attic. It was fine though. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I assume that yours was a ground floor room? The few ground floor rooms were in use, the majority of similar rooms are on the first floor, speaking to pilgims who were there on later dates most were placed in the overcrowded cellar, upstairs was still not in use.

I stayed at the Ponferrada San Nicolas albergue in June and was also disappointed. My, and other guide books clearly state quote "200 beds in small rooms of 4 plus overflow space" unquote. I was in the first 6 to register and was taken down to to an underground room that slept 50 - 70 persons.
When I queried the person in charge he made out he did not know what I was talking about so I asked an English/Spanish person to translate. He asked this person the question and the reply was that the rooms of 4 are only used in winter, which I found difficult to believe. Like ffp13 I also noticed that the mattresses in the upstairs rooms were stacked up so the rooms were obviously not being used.
While it did not worry me about sleeping in the dormitory I did find it strange that such a weird reason was given for the upstairs rooms not being in use.
I thought Ponferrada was a lovely city with plenty to see but if I did the Frances route again I would probably stop in Molinaseca

I personally think the real reason for not using the majority of small rooms is being kept secret, the official reason is so totally unbelieveable, I was there in summer 2009 & 2011 and the overfow was only used once for a large school/youth group. I can only guess what their is, and if my guess was true community would be worried that many pilgrims will not stay in Ponferrada's only albergue! a big loss to the town!

Has anybody heard if the situation has changed ?

More than Disappointment at Ponferada mega albergue

This is my first post since completing my Camino in June 2012. I felt compelled to respond.

Right after my night there, I dubbed the Ponferrada albergue "the albergue from hell". Before anyone criticises, please read.

The situation was as described. I called it WWII bomb shelter like. I believe it was (or felt like) at least 100 or more people sleeping in the room. There were no windows only doors at both ends of the room. One door led to an outside set of stairs that led to showers about 70 meters away.

Even in May 2012 it warm. With that many people in a room with no circulation, the coughs and sneezes were amplified. I tried to sleep through the symphony of expectorating noises, but in the continuing heat of the night, I was unable.

The bunk beds were very close together. I am about 6'0 and about 91 kgs and could fit between the bunks barely - certainly not with anything in my arms. Rucksacks were placed between the beds to complicate the matter. The height between the mattresses was also an issue. I actually cut my leg on the bed supports above me moving around in the bed. Sitting up on the side of the bed was impossible. It was roll out of bed and stand in one motion.

After a couple of hours of sleeplessness listening to the bodily fluid symphony, I too had to leave to sleep in the kitchen only to find I was not the only one with this thought.I ended up on a couch on the computer floor two floors up. Again, not the only one with this thought.I considered myself lucky to find this couch empty. I was very happy to be leaving the next day.

I guess the only good part of the noise level was that the loud and endless snoring became a welcome diversion.

I loved staying in the various albergues. Some were cleaner, brighter, friendlier, and more comfortable than others. But those differences were a part of the Camino experience. Those differences also provided stories and laughs. Some almost made you feel at home, and some were just a stop with a bed. But all of those were enjoyable for their own reasons. Ponferrada was, for me, a completely different experience and one a would not wish on anyone.

For those who would judge my comments as coming from a "spoiled" pilgrim. I would mention that I enjoyed the remaining situations I encountered on the Camino - whether they be physical or mental.

There did not seem to be many private albergues in Ponfeadda. Maybe that is due to the mega albergue capturing all of the pilgrims at the low municipal pricing of 5 euros. It might be a better strategy for the city to downsize the municipal facility and allow private albergues to flourish. That's just a thought from a beleaguered pilgrim.

Buen Camino y buenos dias to all (even the Ponferrada albergue)

I think it is best to always follow my heart. After I arrive, if it does not feel right, I move on to another albergue. No fuss, no complaints, no vocal criticsim, I just move on. On one should ever feel obligated to stay somewhere when it does not feel right. We need to take responsbility for our actions.

I, for one, would never feel comfortable in such a large room without windows. I just don't like stuffy rooms.

Let each pilgrim choose to be happy and choose to do things that will bring happiness to others as much as to our own selves.

Perhaps they were short on staff? You need a lot of volunteers to keep such a big albergue clean and tidy and if you are short of a couple of hospitaleros, it makes sense to open one room and fill that up first before opening the smaller rooms.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
MichaelB10398 said:
I think it is best to always follow my heart. After I arrive, if it does not feel right, I move on to another albergue. No fuss, no complaints, no vocal criticsim.[/quote

Kindly tell us which other albergue in Ponferrada?

This being a forum oposing points of view should not be discouraged, if only praise was allowed then how is that helpful?

sillydoll said:
Perhaps they were short on staff? You need a lot of volunteers to keep such a big albergue clean and tidy and if you are short of a couple of hospitaleros, it makes sense to open one room and fill that up first before opening the smaller rooms.

If being short staffed was the reason for using the cellar then why didnt they say that when questiomed? It is a plausable excuse but for ponferada it was not the case! Their reasons are a well kept secret.

One man´s crushing disappointment is another man´s graciously provided shelter.
I still say, You got a bed. Nobody owes you any explanation. Nobody owes you anything more than what was provided, especially for a measly 5 Euros.

Let it go. Walk on.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What can you expect/demand for €5?

I Sweden a plain cup of coffee.

Definitely not a bed, shower with hot water, use of kitchen.

Just to shift emphasis, in case newcomers think there is a greater problem than there really is with Ponferrada accommodation. I stayed in the Hostal Restaurante San Miguel, near the big covered market in town. (Ultimate churreria along the outside of the market building!) In the off-season, the room, which was spotless and had everything, cost me 20 euros. The other big plus is the people of the Bierzo region. From the first town entered, I noticed an extra courtesy and patience. Don't know if it has to do with a Frankish or French influence long back, but my hosts in Cacabelos, Villafranca and Ponferrada were all charming, as were the bercianos who would just approach me anywhere for a chat.

This thread started way back in June, and it was about an albergue that costs maybe five euros, and may have its ups and downs. I don't want to stifle further discussion for those who think it important, I just want to relate my experience of a little valley which I may one day return to as a tourist, not necessarily following the line of the Way. I liked it that much.

Best

Rob

Your right, nobody owes me anything, but I expect honesty, rather than desception regardless of cost

PS
It was't 5 Euro, it was Donativo and my donation was greater than your suggestion.

I am quite happy to let it go, but i cant walk on, at least not on this camino was over some time ago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it was Donativo
If I were to psychoanalyze the albergue in Ponferrada, I would say their problem stems from being donativo. Over the years, too many pilgrims have donated nothing, and the hospitaleros have developed an attitude. When I stayed there, the hospitalero seemed to hold the donation box in front of me the entire check in time. The words said "donation," but the body language said "pay up." The pilgrim does not live up to their expectations, and they have no intention of living up to the pilgrims' expectations. It is a paradox that only they can resolve.

Instead of trying to be old school in the tradition of the pilgrimage ten years ago, they should admit that times have changed, charge the going rate, and provide some service. Let the freeloaders go elsewhere, and develop some customer service. They hold mass in their chapel each evening, so they want to be traditional; but it is not working. Their customer base simply does not match their offering.

Since my first time in Ponferrada, I have stayed in hostales or bypassed the stop. It is simply not a place I want to stay a second time, and I have an extremely high tolerance for accommodations!

This was one thing that I liked about Hape Kerkeling's book. His attitude was, "I can afford hotels so why should I take up space in pilgrim shelters that offer free beds? I'd rather leave those to people who can't afford anything else."
It is a mindset. If you live on the streets, you don't expect much from the shelter or the soup kitchen. If they start charging, you might expect butter with your bread and a china cup rather than a tin mug.
I think it is wonderful that you are prepared to move on and leave the donativo albergues to those that really need them.

I'd rather leave those to people who can't afford anything else.
I think that is part of the unreality that shackles Ponferrada. How many of the cheapskates really cannot afford something more? Ten percent? Forty percent? How many just do not want to pay more? Ponferrada was the sixth most popular starting point for the last two years. Pilgrims could afford the bus, train, or air fare to get there, but getting a donation is like pulling teeth? The humility of the pilgrim is a beautiful concept, but I think it is fading into mythology. Rather than allowing reality to chafe, places like Ponferrada should make its life easier by providing what the pilgrim wants, rather than what it wants. They are offering a vegetarian menu in a world of carnivores! As a liberal, I know daily what it is like to want the world to be something it isn't. I am comfortable with the cognitive dissonance, but I think it makes Ponferrada very irritable.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found the 'service' of the voluntary hospitaleros at Ponferada outstanding. No amount of money could make them kinder or more empathetic. If a donativo albergue starts charging, they will no longer be provided with volantary hospitaleros trained by HOSVOL. Whether to charge or not is something that is debated every year and the very arguements being discussed here are raised. The CSJ of UK say that once you start charging people start expecting - hot water, pillows, a blanket, coffee, etc etc.

people start expecting - hot water, pillows, a blanket, coffee, etc etc.
People expect it already. That is my point; the donativo albergue is at odds with the world as it now exists. :D

These places can continue to be frustrated by the conflict between what they want and what the pilgrims want, but I do not see it as necessary frustration. My suggestion is that they take off the hair shirt, and end the irritation.

I, too, found the hospitalero very pleasant, but the extremely insistent donation NOW was at odds with the general welcome. The kitchen was very nice, but overwhelmed by the pilgrims who sat there all evening doing their self-catering. It is not within an albergue's abilities, but part of pilgrim etiquette should be the courtesy to use the kitchen, clean up, and move on to make room for the next person.

" How many of the cheapskates really cannot afford something more?
The humility of the pilgrim is a beautiful concept, but I think it is fading into mythology."

i think the humility of the perrigrino has also gone the same way of avoiding name calling.

Buen Camino y buenos dias

Alan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have served at a donativo albergue and nobody expected anything but a roof over their heads and a place to lay their heads.
Falcon, you can't lump all pilgrims under your low opinion - there are many out there who might be able to afford a more upmarket experience but actually seek out the smaller, more basic, traditional type of albergue precisely because they don't offer all the mod cons.

falcon269 said:
[...] the donativo albergue is at odds with the world as it now exists. :D [...]
I, too, found the hospitalero very pleasant, but the extremely insistent donation NOW was at odds with the general welcome. The kitchen was very nice, but overwhelmed by the pilgrims who sat there all evening doing their self-catering. It is not within an albergue's abilities, but part of pilgrim etiquette should be the courtesy to use the kitchen, clean up, and move on to make room for the next person.
It has been our repeated "hospitalero experience" in a donations albergue, that if one doesn't somehow insist on seeing a donation being made upon arrival, there often aren't sufficient funds to cover the running expenses at the end of the day. We learned this when the per capita takings were often less than 3 Euros, i.e. cheaper than the cheapest albergue.
Although we did admit the occasional really poor pilgrim without asking for a donation, more often could we identify a potential "profiteur".
As far as kitchen use goes, it happens that certain nationals occupy the facilities immediately "en masse" upon arrival, due to their eating habits. They tend to keep the place spotless afterwards, but in the mean time other pilgrims are stuck and hospitaleros somewhat embarrassed.
The larger the albergue, the more difficult management by hospitalero volonteers.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back