• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Disappointment with Torres Del Rio - try the Palace instead!

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
Last week I received a message from Hotel San Andres and Hostal Casa Mariela saying that "due to a personal matter the hostel would be closed between 5th-9th October and therefore they needed to cancel my booking". As it was two places that messaged me within the space of 3 hours, I assumed that there had been a death in the village or something similar. I had 15 people booked into Hotel San Andres and a room for four in the hostel. I later found out (via another hostel) that it was total rubbish, and that they simply had a better offer. He was right. When we walked by, the hotel was open and pilgrims were packing up and ready to leave. Be aware, if you book via booking.com then the hostel/hotels need to pay fees (rightly so). But, this could leave you high and dry like it nearly did for me. If you can, try and book direct. Your booking will be more secure that way.

Anyway, panicking, I set to work trying to re-organise the accommodation. I ended up with 6 people in an Albergue in Torres Del Rio, and the rest of us ended up at Palacio de Sansol.

The Camino Provides!

I would highly recommend the Palacio de Sansol. It is a recently renovated palace and the owner is a 77 year old who provides the most delicious pilgrim meal. It is brand new, they have private rooms and bunk rooms and the views from the balcony are amazing. The best part of the experience was the "Camino Game" which the host introduced after the meal. It was a set of Camino cards that we had to choose to represent our life before we set out on the Camino, and then a card to represent how we would like our lives to be after the Camino. We had tears, laughter and lots of hugs.

It was a fantastic Camino with lots of challenges, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for sharing this information. It is disappointing to see this happening, and worrying for those of us who like to pre-book. Is it appropriate to “name and shame” accommodations that do this? I think so - I have seen accounts of such behaviour in reviews and taken my business elsewhere.
Perhaps I am being naive, but I would have thought booking.com bookings would be safer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last week I received a message from Hotel San Andres and Hostal Casa Mariela saying that "due to a personal matter the hostel would be closed between 5th-9th October and therefore they needed to cancel my booking". As it was two places that messaged me within the space of 3 hours, I assumed that there had been a death in the village or something similar. I had 15 people booked into Hotel San Andres and a room for four in the hostel. I later found out (via another hostel) that it was total rubbish, and that they simply had a better offer. He was right. When we walked by, the hotel was open and pilgrims were packing up and ready to leave. Be aware, if you book via booking.com then the hostel/hotels need to pay fees (rightly so). But, this could leave you high and dry like it nearly did for me. If you can, try and book direct. Your booking will be more secure that way.

Anyway, panicking, I set to work trying to re-organise the accommodation. I ended up with 6 people in an Albergue in Torres Del Rio, and the rest of us ended up at Palacio de Sansol.

The Camino Provides!

I would highly recommend the Palacio de Sansol. It is a recently renovated palace and the owner is a 77 year old who provides the most delicious pilgrim meal. It is brand new, they have private rooms and bunk rooms and the views from the balcony are amazing. The best part of the experience was the "Camino Game" which the host introduced after the meal. It was a set of Camino cards that we had to choose to represent our life before we set out on the Camino, and then a card to represent how we would like our lives to be after the Camino. We had tears, laughter and lots of hugs.

It was a fantastic Camino with lots of challenges, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world.

When researching hostales for my Frances I saw that the reviews for all of the places in Torres del Rio were poor so we opted for Sansol. It was a great decision. The old hostal where we stayed was basic but comfortable. The menu del peregrino was very cheap and delicious with no lack of wine. The hostelros were a very friendly couple and on the other side of the plaza the local sold ripping Rioja at 50 centimos for a generous glassful. Sansol, always.

Be aware, if you book via booking.com then the hostel/hotels need to pay fees (rightly so). But, this could leave you high and dry like it nearly did for me.

had this happen on my last stay in SJPDP (also via booking dot com)

A week out from our arrival our booking was cancelled as they had a tour group book the whole place.
Did you report this to booking.com? I'm pretty sure that it goes against their policies.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

The Camino Provides!

I also enjoyed my stay at the Sansol Palacio, and dinner with the lovely owner and his gracious Dutch assistant. Absolutely loved the grand old building upgraded to comfort and convenience.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

The Camino Provides!

So sorry to hear about this happening and unusual for such a large group booking

This is not always the case though as we soon found out in May when we walked from Burgos

I had booked directly with Casa del Abuelo in Hornillas del Camino a week before the trip,
I even confirmed the booking two days before.
Always, as well as booking directly we always confirm the booking at least the day before
on arrival we were asked if we were booking.com and I said “no“ we had booked directly
A very ”breathless” owner said that there were problems with the pluming in our allocated room and that she would drive us to a Hostal 5km away
This she did, and was so apologetic the whole way, indeed, she should have won an Oscar for the performance

This “wonderful” hotel” turned out to be a noisy and smelly one by a main road and
the proprietor of this one insisted that we be driven back to Hornillas at 5.30 the following morning as she had to be open at 6am for passing trade
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately for her the owner at Hornillas was still asleep!

when we got to Castrojerez we were told by the owner of our booked Hostal that this excuse was often used for non booking.com bookings at Casa Abuelo
I then looked up Trip advisor where I saw that this “plumbing“ excuse had been used before at Casa del Abuelo
I sent a complaint to the Burgos office on my return home

In Villafranca del Bierzo the same thing happened and when we said that we had booked directly, they gave us a room in the rafters, three flights of stairs up and the only ones on that floor which was quite eerie.The door wouldn’t lock without a battle of keys.
On the way, the young girl told us that the “nicer” rooms on the ground floor were reserved for booking.com clients
I managed to have a nosey nose for one of them and yes it was a lovely room …..and the couple in there had even paid less than we did
Its a beautiful building but so easy to get lost in it, as we did a few times!

now we don’t mind generally where we sleep as long as it’s clean but being lied to and treated as second class walkers/pilgrims doesn’t go down too well

I think a lot of the establishments now depend on booking.com to fill the beds and what we discovered last week on the walk from Sarria is that so many people now are using travel companies to walk. We met at least three fairly large groups on the way

I honestly think that the hotels/Hostals etc on booking.com will generally favour the booked clients as too many complaints will see them booted off
also those booked are more or less guaranteed to turn up as so many directly booked pilgrims may not even turn up or have the manners to cancel if something prevents their arrival

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What office was that?

Albergues can be reviewed on Gronze.com.
There are also reviews on Wise Pilgrim, but I don't know what the process is to submit one. Perhaps @wisepilgrim will chime in.
I can’t remember rightly now but I phoned the tourist office and they gave me the relevant phone number who said they would contact that albergue
I never got a reply though
I just got the first number from Google and the email address

i did put a comment on Gronze for both of them under the name Twiggy!,
ha ha I’m far from being a Twiggy
its the cats name!!

we are not great on the internet for booking.com so always call directly
i haven’t found however much difference in the prices either online or directly
whatever they ask, we pay

we have never had problems before and most establishments have been wonderful
This year however with pilgrims outnumbering places I think that a few establishments might have just become a bit “greedy”
The way of the world I suppose

The Camino Provides!

Wow 15 people. Sounds like you’re a tour group?

Did you get bumped by one of their regular tour groups?

If everyone books individually they have to contact 15 people. Harder to do than contacting one person for a Group booking.

Also this part of the Camino doesn’t usually need bookings. Sure as you get past Sarría you may need to.

Have stayed at Casa Mariela in the last month. Dinner was down at the hotel and you had to buy a pool pass also for the Hotel. But all round was a very good experience. I’d stay there again,

Buen Camino

Did you report this to booking.com? I'm pretty sure that it goes against their policies.
We had a few days notice and just rebooked........
I think I added some 'feedback' at the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Seems it's a bit of a lottery at times........
For example @Annette london , I have stayed at Casa del Abuelo in Hornillas del Camino twice.

We found it one of the nicest, most welcoming places on the whole journey!
The two sisters who run it, Maria & Belen could not have been more helpful.

How things can change? :oops:

Likewise, the place in SJPDP that cancelled on us in 2018, was great in 2015......

I should add, that being 'cancelled' that time, was a booking that was made some weeks in advance, as it was our first night.

I have never had any issues using booking . com whilst walking a Camino, where I book just a day or two in advance. Perhaps less chance with a shorter notice booking of being 'bumped' for a better offer?

Of course some bookings (on booking . com) allow free cancellations, whereas others don't.
I imagine it would be a more secure booking where free cancelations are not allowed......

Last edited:

The Camino Provides!

We stayed in the Palacio in May. Great place. The owner doesn't have much English and when an American rang enquiring about the cost of rooms, my husband acted as translator for both of them. For dinner we were served thistle soup - a first for me. Quite tasty and, let's just say - very high in fibre!😂

Thanks for sharing this information. It is disappointing to see this happening, and worrying for those of us who like to pre-book. Is it appropriate to “name and shame” accommodations that do this? I think so - I have seen accounts of such behaviour in reviews and taken my business elsewhere.
Perhaps I am being naive, but I would have thought booking.com bookings would be safer.
I also always assumed Booking.com was the safer way to go to ensure that you actually had accommodations when you arrived.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, I've noticed this too. They give their booking.com guests the best rooms so they get better reviews because that's what drives the business.

Just curious if you paid for the accomodations at the time of booking or were planning to pay onsite?
Both places would not take payment up front so it was payment on arrival.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.