• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Disaster! Where to buy shoes/boots?

Hikoi

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP (2016)
Jesus Trail (Nazareth to Capernaum) 2016
Way of St Francis (Pietralunga to Assisi) 2016
Auxilio!!! Help!!!
I'm at Casadilla de Tera (nice little Albergue- donativo, six beds, no kitchen) The problem is my Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes have split between the upper and the sole. Very poor performance - they were new before the Camino. I'll tape them but really need new shoes/boots. Does anyone know where that might be possible along the Sanabrés?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try the store in Puebla as SY suggests but I had no luck there. Hope you do! I ended up waiting until Ourense. There is a fantastic store specializing in running/hiking/walking that helped me out. If you need the address let me know. In fact I have on the running shoes I bought there right now:).

Stayed at the same albergue in Calzadilla, nice to have a normal bed (and large) rather than the usual bunkbed.

Good luck in your search and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't your Merrel boots come with an unconditional guarantee?
Perhaps they'd ship a replacement pair to a point on your route?

As an interim / alternative you could take a day off!
How about Taxi/bus to Ponferrada & back? That's 134Km, 1.5 hours by car, north of where you are.

There is a Decathlon Store in
P.C. La Herreria
Avda. Los escritores nÂş 3
24400 Ponferrada.
I've bought boots in their branch in Alicante & they have a good range.

If you go to http://www.decathlon.es/es/storearea you'll find the store closest to you.

Also in Ponferrada there's a Millets store @
AVENIDA DE ASTURIAS S/N
CENTRO COMERCIAL EL ROSAL
24400 PONFERRADA (LEON)
http://stores.millet.fr/24547-forum-ponferrada-leon
I've no idea what hiking boots they stock.

Good luck with it.

Buen Camino.

Michael.

Is there a bus connection back to Zamora? If yes, I saw a Decathlon shop there close to where the camino leaves town. SY

So sorry you have to deal with what seems to be inferior quality ...another good reason to have duct tape on your packing list. Good luck and continued Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Had to rush to Mombuey to get to a ferreteria to buy duct tape - I'd forgotten it inspite of sage advice on this forum! It's called "cinta americana" here. I use 46.5 or US12 size shoes preferably wides, so I'm not optimistic about getting a replacement. Merrell haven't replied to my email. They're off my Christmas card list!

There are several shoe shops in Benavente as well as several shops selling sport related articles (not sure if footwear among them though) so I think you may find something that suits you. You can go to Benavente by bus and come back on the day.

P.S.: My post was made before Hikoi published his post above (he made it at the same time I published mine). With that size of shoes, it'll be more difficult to find something that may suit him in towns like Benavente (or smaller).

Last edited by a moderator:
Auxilio!!! Help!!!
I'm at Casadilla de Tera (nice little Albergue- donativo, six beds, no kitchen) The problem is my Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes have split between the upper and the sole. Very poor performance - they were new before the Camino. I'll tape them but really need new shoes/boots. Does anyone know where that might be possible along the Sanabrés?
I had two pairs of Moab Ventilators both delaminate in exactly the same spot. A shame since they're so comfortable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Camino is held together by duct tape! I may just make it like that. Unfortunately bad weather is forecast for the next week or so. I'll try to get something at Puebla de Sanabria tomorrow. I'm at San Salvador de Palazuelo. Albergue key is kept by Señora Emily who lives about 100 metres before the church on the right side of the road in a two story house. Ring the doorbell on the door under the stairs. Basic but great hot water for showers! No kitchen or bar in the village so pack something.

Have you tried the surplus at the various albergues?? They sometime have a replacement from what people are forced to leave behind...

Had to rush to Mombuey to get to a ferreteria to buy duct tape - I'd forgotten it inspite of sage advice on this forum! It's called "cinta americana" here. I use 46.5 or US12 size shoes preferably wides, so I'm not optimistic about getting a replacement. Merrell haven't replied to my email. They're off my Christmas card list!
Too bad.
I always wrap some (a lot of it actually) silver fluorescent duct tape around upper part of both of my walking poles. No real additional weight, it's reflective and "easy-to-carry" ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are a mine of wonderfully useful information S Yates!

You certainly are! I bought some shoes there that I think might get me to Santiago. I'm in Requejo de Sanabria having worn them for the 11kms. All good thus far! By the way the way isn't too wet. Just before Requejo is a lane with stove walls either side that's muddy and wet, but you can just keep on the track and it joins the Camino again.

So glad that you found shoes/boots that are working for you! Buen Camino! SY

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You are a mine of wonderfully useful information S Yates!
And maybe you can help me now! I walk into Salamanca today and desperately need new lightweight, waterproof boots. Any suggestions re good places to find a range/choice? Muchas gracias! Michele

And maybe you can help me now! I walk into Salamanca today and desperately need new lightweight, waterproof boots. Any suggestions re good places to find a range/choice? Muchas gracias! Michele
I don't have firsthand experience with either of these, but I since I know it is easier to search for stuff on a computer with full keyboard from the comfort of home, these seem like two good candidates. The both have a good selection on their websites (Salomon, Merrell, etc.)

En Forma Desportes
Corner of Calle Azafranal and Calle Deán Polo Benito (about 5 minute walk from Plaza Mayor)
http://enformadeportes.com/tienda/

Decathlon
Avenida E. Leclerc, 3 Carbajosa de la Sagrada (about 45 minute walk or bus ride from Plaza Mayor)
http://www.decathlon.es/es/store?store_id=PS_ES_33

Good luck and buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't have firsthand experience with either of these, but I since I know it is easier to search for stuff on a computer with full keyboard from the comfort of home, these seem like two good candidates. The both have a good selection on their websites (Salomon, Merrell, etc.)

En Forma Desportes
Corner of Calle Azafranal and Calle Deán Polo Benito (about 5 minute walk from Plaza Mayor)

Decathlon
Avenida E. Leclerc, 3 Carbajosa de la Sagrada (about 45 minute walk or bus ride from Plaza Mayor)

Fabuloso! Muchas muchas gracias

En Forma Desportes

Decathlon

Success! Thanks again for your help with this enquiry Latecomer. I am now the proud owner of a new pair of (hopefully) water-proof boots, thanks to your assistance and the lovely staff at Desportes Salamanca. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Auxilio!!! Help!!!
There is nothing on the Sanbres until the big climb up and over the pass

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back