• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Displaying Compostelas

Momwiz

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2019
I now have three Compostelas and two other certificates of completion from my caminos. I’m wondering if there are any creative ways to display them and also to display my passports. Just framing them and putting them up on my den wall is an option but I’m looking for other ways as well. Any suggestions? Thanks I’m advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mine are still in a cardboard tube and envelopes lol. I have a few ideas of how I'd like to display them but have not got around to it yet. I have some new pictures that need frames, so I may finally be motivated to do it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the home we moved from they were displayed on the wall in our family room. We move about 6.months ago and haven't set a place.

I now have three Compostelas and two other certificates of completion from my caminos. I’m wondering if there are any creative ways to display them and also to display my passports. Just framing them and putting them up on my den wall is an option but I’m looking for other ways as well. Any suggestions? Thanks I’m advance!
I’m on my third Camino but only bothered to get one Compostela. I don’t intend to get any more. Am I odd?😁

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m on my third Camino but only bothered to get one Compostela. I don’t intend to get any more. Am I odd?😁
I think a lot of pilgrims don't get the Compostela after the first or second Camino. I do see and advantage of at least registering with the pilgrim office to let them know which route you walked.

No..not odd, and I’m of the same opinion. I don’t want to get into a frame of mind where I’m ‘collecting’ compostellas. My first is very special to me…and it will do. I will, however, always get the Distance Certificate. These will be my ‘official’ mementos of pilgrimage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No.

If the reality lives up to the publicity and you end up meeting St Peter, or one of his team, they won’t ask for the paperwork.

At same time, anyone who took a taxi within 100km of Santiago will not have to worry about the central heating for time immemorial.

No.

If the reality lives up to the publicity and you end up meeting St Peter, or one of his team, they won’t ask for the paperwork.

At same time, anyone who took a taxi within 100km of Santiago will not have to worry about the central heating for time immemorial.
With all due respect, I find your comment quite judgmental. Injury, fatigue, illness besets us mortals. God laughs when we make plans.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will, however, always get the Distance Certificate. These will be my ‘official’ mementos of pilgrimage.
I'm satisfied with my credencial with its stamps.
No.

With all due respect, I find your comment quite judgmental. Injury, fatigue, illness besets us mortals. God laughs when we make plans.
When I read @henrythedog's post I thought that the 😂 was implied.

I’m sure She does.
Feel free to put your argument forwards to St Peter if claiming a compostella under false pretences.

I am judgemental, and never pretend otherwise.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ll try again.

Complete any penitential journey, or carry out any good deed, or just live a good life without seeking recognition and certification and - if you believe in a God, then he or she will know all about it even with the absence of paperwork.

Claim a compostella without conforming to the rules; whether you suffered an unexpected issue or not; then it’s rather unlikely that it will count in your favour and - if you believe in a God, then he or she will know all about it.

Every time I get to Muxia and I stand and look at that broken boat I’m minded that my old gods really don’t give a flying gurgle about me. My insignificant challenges, successes and failures have no impact on the universe or them. Clutching my little bunch of Compostela won’t change that a jot. That said I’ll never risk parade flaunting a medal I haven’t earned. Rules are rules. I was raised to ignore them but not to ignore the consequences of my ignorance 😉

€149,-
Every time I get to Muxia and I stand and look at that broken boat I’m minded that my old gods really don’t give a flying gurgle about me. My insignificant challenges, successes and failures have no impact on the universe or them. Clutching my little bunch of Compostela won’t change that a jot. That said I’ll never risk parade flaunting a medal I haven’t earned. Rules are rules. I was raised to ignore them but not to ignore the consequences of my ignorance 😉
Rules are made by mortals. My God (he/she) understands the fallibility of them.

I am reassured at least that several landlords in south Cumbria will miss me when I’m gone and my few medals (for turning up, not doing anything constructive) rarely see the light of day.

My apologies to the OP for any offence given.

Do bear in mind that many of the stamps used on credenciales do not take direct exposure to sunlight well; I’ve seen a few which have faded. If you’re seeking to display your trophy it may be better to frame a good quality scan and put the original on the back.

The original purpose of the Compostela was to prove that you had really been to Santiago. This was important because the practice grew up, probably in the 12th century, of sending people off on a pilgrimage as a penance or even as a sentence handed down by a court, so proof that you had 'done your time' was obviously required. The punishment was made to fit the crime so anyone sent to Santiago rather than a local shrine was likely to be a serious offender. Who knows when the Compostela became a souvenir? Probably quite quickly because there is ample evidence that mediaeval pilgrims were avid souvenir collectors. It is up to you whether you need a Compostela for every camino and what you do with it when you get home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Here´s some information on the history of the Compostela certificate from the Pilgrim´s Office

The “Compostela“, the accreditation of the pilgrimage to the Tomb of St. James.

Since the pilgrimage to the tomb of Santiago, which came about spontaneously before the ninth and tenth centuries, was institutionalised and took on certain social and religious considerations, it was necessary to accredit its completion. To do this, badges were first used that could only be acquired in Santiago, in the shape of the scallop shell. It is obvious to see how easy it was to falsify this rudimentary certification. The counterfeiting soon took on and they were sold at the entrance to the city, forcing the prelates of Compostela and the Pope himself to decree excommunication penalties against the counterfeiters. More effective, as they were more difficult to counterfeit, were the so-called cartas probatorias (evidentiary letters), which were already issued in the 13th century. These letters led directly to the Compostela.

In the 16th century the Catholic Monarchs constituted the Foundation of the Royal Hospital and to house it they commissioned the building now occupied by the Hostal dos Reis Católicos, converted in 1954 into a luxury hotel. On presenting the Compostela, pilgrims acquired the right to stay free of charge for three days. The pilgrims’ health needs turned the institution, after the necessary extensions, into the most important hospital in Galicia and later into the headquarters of the famous Compostela medical school. In 1954 it became a Parador de Turismo hotel, although, as a tradition of hospitality, the hotel continues to offer free meals to the first pilgrims each day who come to the Hostal; they must always present the “Compostela” or a photocopy of it.

If you want to preserve and also share your certificates and documents and mementos of your caminos, a nice scrapbook album would be great. You will be able to add to it if you wish, leave it on the coffee table (Customized covers?) or somewhere handy where you can sit with interested folks or just yourself to review them. Add more memories, photos, thoughts. They're not trophies, they're more personal.

This was actually a huge topic of debate among pilgrims as my husband approached Santiago this summer. Some had no interest in receiving the Compestela and stayed true to that wish. Others thought they had no interest but had second thoughts and received one.

What to do with it? Ours are still in tubes…. It doesn't look terrible next to our bible, but I always feel weird or guilty about not knowing what to do with them.

compostela_tubes.JPG

I liked an idea from a veteran pilgrim of framing it in a “shadow box.” That's a nice way to place it alongside other significant and memorable items like your credencial, prayer cards, pressed flowers, small gifts, notes – so many special things from the journey that inevitably come back home after making it to Santiago. You can open the box if you wish, otherwise it can remain framed with all your mementos in one place. That's what I'd like to do one day. But if they end up staying in tubes on a shelf, I guess it's not the worst thing. 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buy a large monitor for your living room that is on endless loop of all your photographs and other memorabilia including Compostellas.

I’m sure She does.
Feel free to put your argument forwards to St Peter if claiming a compostella under false pretences.

I am judgemental, and never pretend otherwise.
Kindda like me. I Always quip that "I am an equal opportunity offender" when i meet new folks.
Up to them to either take an immediate offence or laugh with me 😁

€46,-
OK... so I thought I'd sort of get to it myself but life keeps on interfering
I got 2 'certificates' in the SdC Pilgrim's office
I thought the 'horizontal' one with Starting point and total distance was the actual Compostela and didnt know what the otehr one ws
Can someone shed the light, please for both?

Attachments

• Comp 1.JPG
    Comp 1.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Comp 2.JPG
    Comp 2.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 24
I thought the 'horizontal' one with Starting point and total distance was the actual Compostela and didnt know what the otehr one ws
I think the first one is a distance certificate since it lists the km on it. That one you actually pay a small fee for.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I think the first one is a distance certificate since it lists the km on it. That one you actually pay a small fee for.
@J Willhaus is right. The horizontal certificate that shows you kms is the Distance Certificate. The Compostela is vertical.

G'day Perigrinos,

We always get our Compestela when we finish, why not?

And lots of our friends have asked what we do when we disappear for 3 months of the year, so we framed a copy of the two Compestela certificates and our passport from the Via del Plata (our 1st "long distance" walk) with the passport showing the path and some stamps. We think it looks pretty good and acts as a Camino conversation starter.

Bon Chemin. Bon Camino.

Attachments

• IMG_20221004_095317.jpg
    IMG_20221004_095317.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
G'day Perigrinos,

We always get our Compestela when we finish, why not?

And lots of our friends have asked what we do when we disappear for 3 months of the year, so we framed a copy of the two Compestela certificates and our passport from the Via del Plata (our 1st "long distance" walk) with the passport showing the path and some stamps. We think it looks pretty good and acts as a Camino conversation starter.

Bon Chemin. Bon Camino.
Beautiful!

I want to share my "Wall of Caminos with you Guys.
I have it next to a indoor hammock...

Attachments

• IMG20221020155942.jpg
    IMG20221020155942.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
Very happy to have everything framed. No exaggeration to say this wall is a constant focus.

Attachments

• 8EFED905-3D16-44D0-900F-AE49FD9DBFC7.jpeg
    8EFED905-3D16-44D0-900F-AE49FD9DBFC7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
Odd? Nope. I am debating whether to get them in the future. I think I will if it is a new route - but not if I repeat a route. But then again - just getting the credential stamped is much cooler than a generic certificate that everyone has - because it holds the stamps of all the places YOU stopped and asked for a stamp! Much better memories than the Compostela itself.

Odd? Nope. I am debating whether to get them in the future. I think I will if it is a new route - but not if I repeat a route. But then again - just getting the credential stamped is much cooler than a generic certificate that everyone has - because it holds the stamps of all the places YOU stopped and asked for a stamp! Much better memories than the Compostela itself.
I absolutely agree! Your Compostela does not tell a story.
My credencial of my first Camino carrys my tears, thoughts, memories of all the places.
Some pilgrims "drawed" their "own" stamps in it for me and I carried this little Paper the whole way with me...
I love to look at them and just remember all the little places...
And to be honest... I cant wait to start again filling one of these little, lovely booklets with stamps and memories!
in more or less two weeks (7th November) it is time again :)
Like always I start to become nervous already xD
Its almost 4 years ago sionce I went on the del Norte...
The thoughts are again "Your luggage looks so tiny... do you have everything necessary?"
"Do I miss something?"
And as I write this post I write down a note to buy kinesio Tape(Perfekt for your sore muscles and as well for your broken shoes xD)
I love you all!
Have a great Way where ever you are!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.