• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Displaying your passport

MeganG22

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-->SdC
(Oct3-Nov3 2012)
Pamplona-->SdC
(Oct1-Oct29 2014)
Upcoming!
Pamplona-->SdC
May 1-? 2017
Has anyone found a two sided see-through frame to display your passport? I'm looking around, checking different stores, and haven't had any luck. Maybe there's something online that someone has found before? Or perhaps I'll have to get more creative ;) This is definitely something I want to display along with my Compostela!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, vagando,
I know that custom framers can do this, but it costs a pretty penny. I think I paid several hundred dollars back in 2000. I bet that there's a way to use plexiglass or something like that -- maybe some people here will have ideas.

My first credencial from 2000 hangs in my study, but at least one fourth of the individual stamps have totally faded to the point they can no longer be seen. I don't know if there's anything that can be done to prevent this at the time of framing, but I thought you'd want to know about that likelihood. Does anyone know if ther is any way to treat the stamps before framing to prevent fading?

Buen camino, Laurie

Have you thought of framing a photocopy of each page side by side. If it fades then you can renew it and the original can be kept safe so as not to fade.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Light is the enemy, and oxidation a close second. All your old photos and slides are doomed to fade. The silver in black and white photos may last for centuries, but the dyes used for decades for color do not last. The only photo process that is permanent is "carbro," an expensive three dye process that has been used only rarely.

Digital photos will be around for a long time. The electrons on the chip are fairly indestructible by time. Also, many of the inks used in printing digital photos will last a long time. Many are much more durable than the dyes in the photo process. Inkjet printing is more permanent than laser/toner printers, generally.

Sello ink is variable. The black ink should last. The color ink, not so much. Protect the credential from UV light, and it will last longest. Put it in a window, and it will be gone in a blink. :wink:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Custom framing with UV-protectant glass. You have to ask for it. I have ink drawings under this special glass and they have not faded at all a couple of decades later.

lynne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks everyone! I'll be headed to the frame store in town sometime this week to inquire about pricing... but otherwise I'm thinking I may get creative and create something of my own! Could be a fun project :) And I'll definitely keep the possibility of fading ink in mind. Thanks for the tips!

If you've got access to a router, shouldn't be too hard to create your own frame. That's what I'll be doing once I figure out the glass thing so it doesn't fade.

Now as far as UV resistant glass, no idea where to find that. Anyone have any leads?

Any frame shop will have UV glass/plastic.

Glass on the two sides of the credential that slides down a slot in two vertical pieces of end wood might be the basic design for a tabletop frame. Add a base and a top, and you have it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back