• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Distances between towns

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
In my experience of walking, if I decide to walk an average of 25kms per day, I will invariably push my mileage upwards and cover up to 30kms a day. But, if I decide to walk an average of 20kms a day, I will rarely push myself to cover more than 25kms.
In 2002 we only had 30 days, which included travel days, so we walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago averaging 28kms per day for 27 days. We often did 40±km days.
Next year I can walk for 5½ weeks if I want to and based on my experience, I am trying to work out a daily schedule walking an average of 20kms per day from Roncesvalles to Santiago with a max distance of around 25kms.
I have looked at a number of on-line maps and have got a lot of resources - CSJ Guide (which doesn't always include the full mileage, eg: decimal points, so it is sometimes out by 2kms). I've got Alison Raju's Guide, Milláno Bravo Lozano maps etc., as well as maps from Red de Albergue, Ediciones Way. They all give different mileages!
I know that a few kms here and there don't really matter but if you want to walk a maximum of 25kms and the map is out by 5kms it can mean walking 30km and adding another hour onto your day.
EG: The Red Albergue strip maps show Murias de Rechivaldo as being 250,5kms from Santiago. The next town, Sta Catalina is 5kms away but they have printed 241km to Santiago. (So, is it 5 kms or 9kms away??)
Maybe I should plan a 15km per day walk!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I found the John Brierley guidebook great for detailed maps and intermediate distances - and it's probably better to have a little flexibility on distances so that you can try to avoid refuges with poor facilities along the way

Hi Sil, I used the Brierley book also. He gives distances not just to the villages but all the way to the albergues.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Have a look at http://www.godesalco.com - it can plan a day-by-day camino for you, and plot not only distances between towns and refugios, but terrain and inclines, so you can see exactly how steep the slope to O'Cebreiro is!

It has info on the Camino Frances, the Via Podensis and the Via de la Plata, in Spanish and English.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I don't have the 2006 Bierley Guide but know someone who has so will ask them if I can borrow it.

I have used the http://www.godesalco.com/plan web site (if you add the '/plan' after .com it takes you straight to the Camino Planner page) and it is excellent. It just doesn't have some of the alternate refuges - like Eunate, San Anton etc., which I really want to stay at this time.

My darling husband - who is not a walker-walker - will be meeting us in Sarria to walk the last 100kms with us. I am so pleased that, at last, he will be able to share some of the camino magic with me.

For the first time, I am planning to 'do' the camino both ways as they did in the old days. The difference is that we will walk to Santiago but will hire a car to drive back to Roncesvalles and Pamplona. I know it won't be the same as it was for pilgrims of old (up until the invention of the motor car) but we will follow the camino villages as closely as possible, taking about a week to reach Roncesvalles.
Joy and I drove a car from Pamplona to Lugo in 2004 and I know that if pilgrimage is supposed to include danger and stress, we will have our fair share of those by driving a left-hand drive car on the wrong (left) side of the road, going around circles the wrong way and trying to read exit signs in a foreign language!

This time I don't want to miss Oviedo. The CSJ site says:
Many pilgrims left the Camino francés at León and travelled north to visit the Cámara Santa (Holy Chamber) in Oviedo Cathedral. Extra indulgences were thus gained. "Quien va a Santiago y no al Salvador, visita al criado y deja al Señor" (“Whoever goes to Saint James and not to the Saviour, visits the servant and misses the Master.”)
We will also spend a day in Santo Domingo de Silas to attend a mass and hear the Gregorian chants.

Happy New Year to you all,
Abrazos,

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back